120 gal

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think 120 gal is a bit big for a T. Blondi lol, but thanks anyway. Also i'm not really looking for things with spines, i just posted here cause i figure this is where i would get the most diverse ideas.
2 blondis with a divider in the middle. Hell, I have blondis in 60 gallon tanks right now. One in 60, so 2 would be good in a 120!

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 blondis with a divider in the middle. Hell, I have blondis in 60 gallon tanks right now. One in 60, so 2 would be good in a 120!
I don't really want to divide it up, i'm looking for something that will use all that space.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How about a snake?
A snake is fine. i have been thinking about getting this nice looking ghost corn they have at a local pet store (it's actually a good pet store, if you can believe it {D )

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A corn snake is fine in a 20 long...a 120 for a corn snake would be a waste of such a big tank and is overkill

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A corn snake is fine in a 20 long...a 120 for a corn snake would be a waste of such a big tank and is overkill
I didn't mean I'm going to put the corn snake in there, I was simply that in passing, sorry about that I should of made that more clear. But what kind of snake do you think would go good in a 120 gal. I'm looking for something that would only actually need like 90 or 100 gal, but that would enjoy the extra space. Also a display animal would be nice, but is not a have to have. thanks

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
While they will do fine in a 20 long, I've been keeping several Elaphe rat snakes in custom enclosures of about 90 gallons in size. I've never found the extra space to be a waste. It is nice to see them cruising and thermoregulating both horizontally and vertically. Granted, one of them is a 7'+ yellowish rat snake and so fills his enclosure better than the others -- but my "deckert's" and white oak are both still at corn snake dimensions and seem to use the space well.

Cheers,
Dave

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
7+ feet! That's hard for me to imagine. I'm really thinking of cutting down on the number of animals and putting more effort into the cages, more tail room. I tend to take care of the animals a little better and appreciate them more when I have less instead of taking them for granted with having so many, that's just me. Some people are real good at having a lot of animals. You could put only one animal in there, really set up a good display tank with cool plants, maybe a pump for a waterfall. It doesn't really have to be all for an animal but for weird plants too. The snake could just be part of it. Maybe that's already been brought up. Good luck with it!

"Get a stingray"

I know you don't want a stingray but for the sake of trivia, there is a cool small freshwater stingray from Florida. I'm pretty sure it's protected tho. That'd be pretty cool.

Last edited:

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It really comes down to this: are you looking for one thing or many things, and is a large amount of water involved. In a 120 you could have a giant shoal of piranha, a big snake, or a trio of waterdragons, the choice is yours. ~ Rex

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Weeeeeedogy!! Yeah, that helps a lot. My imagination just couldn't do it. A trophy size and looks pretty healthy, maybe some more growing to do(?)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
A trophy size and looks pretty healthy, maybe some more growing to do(?)
He has grown a bit since that picture, but the rate has definitely slowed right down. I figure it was compensatory growth since he wasn't exactly a happy camper when he came into my care in '01 at about 4.5-5' long. He didn't grow noticeably for the first six months to a year and then he suddenly started shedding on a very regular basis and put on the extra 2'+.

Now, to keep this thread on topic, I think the "what should I put in this tank" question is a very hard one for us to answer since we don't really know your interest or skill level. Unless you have a solid interest in them, I would stay away from monitors. They are a bit more specialized than most other herps and require not only a fair amount of work, but a LOT of research. The same goes for turtles/tortoises to some degree. Some are easier than others to care for, but to take a really good run at it is most likely going to represent a departure from your current collection. As mentioned already, crocodilians are completely out if that tank is to be a permanent home.

Cheers,
Dave

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
African bullfrogs if you want to go the frog route?

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now, to keep this thread on topic, I think the "what should I put in this tank" question is a very hard one for us to answer since we don't really know your interest or skill level.

Cheers,
Dave
Well as far as skill level goes, i have cared for a little bit of everything. I have pet sitted for my friend's Leo gecko, fat-tailed gecko, crested geckos, corn snakes, ball python, red-tailed boa, anoles, white's tree frog, pacman frog, iguana, bearded dragon, veiled chameleon, water dragon, and a small reticulated python. Plus a few local snakes i have caught from time to time. So as you can skill is not a problem.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
So as you can skill is not a problem.
Well that does very little to narrow things down, then. Obviously you are still limited to some degree (no experience with turtles, for example, meaning you shouldn't consider any of the trickier species) but not nearly enough to make our job of recommendations easier. Fortunately, the scope of animals you've temporarily cared for should have given you a fairly good idea of what you like and what you don't like. If it were me then I'd pick a couple candidate taxons (not necessarily species, but groups of animals) and start doing some serious academic research until something clicked. You will have to decide what decision making method works for you and then use that to figure out what animal works for you.

Cheers,
Dave

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Turtle

I have been thinking about getting a turtle. What kind do you think would go best in this tank and be a good first turtle