10 gallon tank...

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
is a 10 gallon tank always too much tank? and if not what T is most at home in all that room?

I am an endless bag of questions lately :8o

l005eyfur

e.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like ten gallon tanks. I have an A. geniculata in one and he does take to walking around the whole thing. I have used 10 gallon tanks on their sides for avics. Some t's, may even do well with even larger. Joy has an awesome setup for a T. blondi (I think) that utilizes a 20 gallon tank (I think). With big tanks, you can put a nice sized water dish and a good hiding place. Plus you still get a good show piece.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A word of caution with large tanks. Remember than a fall of only several inches can kill a tarantula, especially larger ones or fat ones. Also a larger tank has potential for raising stress levels because it may not feel secure, or be able to find/catch its prey easily. Unless it is a large species such as the L.Parahybana, T.Blondi, or A.geniculata, i would reccomend a max size of 5.5 gallons until it gets very large around 7-9 inches or so then move to a 10 gallon with a good amount of substrate.

Mark

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree on the height thing for terrestrials, however I don't think a tank can ever become 'too large'. As long as they have a good hideout, it would simply be more like the real world..they might not find prey as easily, but come on, even in a 20 gallon tank the crickeys are going to move around alot, at least initially. And with several cricks in at the same time (that you remove quickly if spid obviously ain't hungry) then I can't see how there can be a famine-problem for the spid. Plus, as someone said, you can make large tanks much more interesting too look at. Even if I had a T that was comfortable in a jamjar I wouldn't be able to look at it in there without feeling claustrophobic myself :p

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A 10 gallon isn't too much depending what you want to put in there. I personally wouldn't waste the space on anything with less than 6" legspan, though.

As for that wicker hide, as someone else already pointed out, so long as it's not filled with cedar or something, no harm in trying. It's probably not going to be the T's favorite but since they'll adapt to a piece of pipe insulation, no reason they wouldn't that thing.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As long as you add enough dirt so that there's only 1.5 times the spider's legspan from dirt to ceiling, sure, go ahead.