10 gal. for two spiders?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi,
i was wondering if i can divide a ten gallons tank and house two different avicularia in each. it's true that they are aboreal, but they don't seem to move around very much. do you guys think that that would be too small?
another question that i have is: since my space is limited, i can either keep a H. gigas in a 10 gal tank or divide it in half and house two avicularia.
i heard that the H. gigas comes out at night all the time? so that should be interesting to watch, but then the avicularia are pretty, and i have to choose so i don't know which one to go for.
thanks for any input,
jason

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi,
i was wondering if i can divide a ten gallons tank and house two different avicularia in each. it's true that they are aboreal, but they don't seem to move around very much. do you guys think that that would be too small?
another question that i have is: since my space is limited, i can either keep a H. gigas in a 10 gal tank or divide it in half and house two avicularia.
i heard that the H. gigas comes out at night all the time? so that should be interesting to watch, but then the avicularia are pretty, and i have to choose so i don't know which one to go for.
thanks for any input,
jason
Yes, you can do that and to make things better for you there is an member on this forum that can make the tank for you. His name is JEEP and he made my 10 ten gallon tank with two dividers and I house three tarantulas inside it and it works out great no problems at all. it only cost 11 dollars to ship ( regular shipping so it will take at least two days) and $40 dollars for the tank its self. he can do this with any size tank you. if he has to buy the tank its going to cost the amount of the tank. But this looks best when done with a 10 gallon tank or smaller because most T's only need half the size of a 10 gallon tank depending on the species. Below is a tank I'm going to use for my Dodoma Baboon (Pterinochilus lugardi) on one side and my Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) on the other side...So remember deal with my friend JEEP on these boards he responds in great time and is easy to talk with and keep in contact with. so talk to him first at least and see if he can help you with your tank arraignements (sp). :razz:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas do spend a lot of time on the surface at night in my experience and they're not usually skittish like OBTs are so you can actually get close and watch them.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi,
thanks for any input,
jason
Even though you can house certain avicularia species I wouldn'd do this at any cost because eventually (regardless if its in a week or a few years or in between there) one of them is going to kill and eat the other one..in my opinion its not worth it...in that case have jeep make you a 2 divider tank so you can keep all three seperate..it will be the same cost as a 1 divider tank ...

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that what they were saying was that they could either divide the tank for two Avics OR they could house one H. gigas in it.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that what they were saying was that they could either divide the tank for two Avics OR they could house one H. gigas in it.
how right you are about that lol..:clap: :worship: i read it wrong...thanks

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as for the divider, i can actually make one myself. the acrylic that they sell around here are $2 per pound and my friend can draw out the shape for me. afterward, we can get it cut at UCSD with their lasercam ($100,000 laser machine) :D, but i do appreciate that you have offered your friend's help.
thanks,
jason

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It can be done, and looks nice when done correctly..... but just a little note of caution, if you dont get the divider perfect and leave any room at all for them to get to the other side they will find a way to do so.
Back a few years ago I had a tank divided into 4 sections, and after 5 months of keeping 4 adult smithi in that setup I came home one day and found one eating the other, It was one of those moments where you just want to sit down and cry. So just take your time and dont cut any corners.
Good luck, post pictures of your end results!

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I devided a 10 gallon tank for my two Phormictopus cancerides. Well let me tell you they didn't really get along at the beginning.....they were always trying to get in the other tank and would use their fangs on the glass.....it was rather unnerving for some of my visitors who aren't really fond of spiders. If i felt that they were in any danger of living next to eachother i would have moved them but things have worked out and they have learned to deal with eachother.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they were always trying to get in the other tank and would use their fangs on the glass......

what do you mean by this?...does this mean like they would scrap their fangs against the glass makin a noise similiar to that of nails on a chalk board?

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what do you mean by this?...does this mean like they would scrap their fangs against the glass makin a noise similiar to that of nails on a chalk board?
It didn't make a sound. They just touched the glass.