1 Question for people with a chilean rose hair

TarantulaMan

Banned
did your rose hair get longer than 5.5 inches???

mine is 5 right now and I think she is about to molt but if she does I will be shocked.:eek:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Although I have not measured them precisely, my two guaranteed mature females are both under 5.5", as is my third female, who I suspect is not mature.

Cheers,
Dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have one thats about at the 5.5" mark. I don't think she'll get much bigger though.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I had a humongous female that I gave to a friend of mine, her name is Giganta! She was over 6", but I doubt that that is anywhere near the norm for them!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just had two G. roseas both eat pinkies. I received them last week and they have been eating non-stop. I wouldn't be too concerned about yours not eating... they can go for quite some time without food. Do not leave prey items in the enclosure if it is not eating. I believe I saw on another post that you'd put some orb weaving spiders in there as well... although I don't speak from experience, I wouldn't do that. I'm sure someone else may be able to give you some more definitive advice on that matter.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The G. rosea I have now is just an sling, but the first one I ever owned was a female who was approximately 5.7 or 5.8 before her death.

TarantulaMan

Banned
ok

I guess its not that big of an issue if it stops eating but I want it to eat because it hasnt ate in a long time, and when shee starts eating again can she get fed a pinky or wait till she getts bigger if she does?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could try it but there are no guarantees. Mine readily attacks and devours live vertebrates like defenseless frogs and once she ate a goldfish and that was pretty shocking. Try it and let us know how it worked out. I wouldnt fret though if she doesnt eat. They can fast for a long time. It isnt harmful.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a mature male G. rosea and he measures a little over 5 inches....this is approximate as i am not going to attempt to hold him down and stretch him out to full length to measure him for sure......unless someone has a foolproof procedure for measuring a T's full length without hurting the spider and/or the spider hurting me!!!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea is an unpredictable spider. I have an old female (she was adult when I purchased her 11 years ago). Her molts are very irregular, often skipping a year. She generally feeds well for the first 2-4 months following a molt, but then, nada. No food for months and months.

I bred her a few years ago, and still have a few of her offspring. These are much more voracious, but most are still growing. One I gave to a friend matured and was a male. He was bred to his female, and I recieved some of the slings (my females grandchildren), so I now have 3 generations of G. rosea!

Just because it's so darn easy to attach photos here :D , Here's a pic of her, my first tarantula, by the way. Photo taken by Art Evans. Incidently, Art used annother pic of her in one of his "Reptiles" magazine articles.

Wade