1.5+" Usumbara escape -- yet the lid is still on -- you tell me!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey all

So i woke up to check on my little usumbara sling (about 1- 1.5") in the kritter keeper, and i noticed there was susbstrate, webbing, a half eaten cricket, all the other cage stuff, but no T...

so i checked all around, dug through everything, flipped through everything, took everything out, and no T.

there were no possible holes for it to escape through, since the biggest one was covered up by duct tape (holding up a small piece of cork bark with wire twisted around it -- you know, arboreal web-hammock)... The only way to escape would be to squeeze through the slots, but even thats a REALLY long shot for a fat sling to squeeze through, but i suppose thats probably how it happened????!!!!

when i checked on it, the lid was locked down still and the duct tape was in place...

how the heck did that happen?
pretty much a first over here.

just worried about the T.

I mean, this is where my guys go when they reach this size -- the small kritter keepers.. Its hard to imagine that abdomen fitting through those small slots...i have no other explanation though... I know they can get mighty small....

im hoping to eventually see some strands of webbing peeking out from behind something.... But for now, i'm armed with a deli cup... i've searched and havent found it, so i'll keep an eye out now, and wait untill tonite...

???!!!!!
pce
dave

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Make sure you check thoroughly through the water dish. I've seen a couple make homes in them, if they were dried up. And I suggest gently removing the substrate, as he may have made a burrow somewhere.

Jim B.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey man -

I dug through everything... theres nothing left in the cage, i sieved all the substrate and there's nothing...

i'll find it, i hope....
ill hopefully see some wisps of webbing from behind something.. if its in here, and didnt end up in the walls somewhere..

i live in an apartment building, so this should be a fun next 2 years if i don't find it soon ;)

pce
dave

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Take a look at the handle mounting holes, I'll bet it got out through those.

Usumbara's seem to do ok in the household, from stories I've read on this board. You'll probably finally get a woman over with all your 'charm' and she'll find it for you, and run out of the house screaming.

Bill

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those handle holes were the ones covered up by duct tape. those are the biggest holes... and it def. didnt escape through those...

i guess right through the slots?? thats the only other way unless i've got a quantum tunneling tarantula.. and to pay $3 for a quantum tunneling usumbara.. man, talk about a great deal.. ;)

usually the girls are more interested in the Ts than afraid.. in fact two of these girls i know were over before i moved and they left with one of my avics :) Some may not be into them, but usually they're pretty interested.... I have yet to have a "oh my god, get that spider away from me, thats DISGUSTING" reaction from a girl...

more of my buddies are nervous around these guys (untill they get used to them of course)...

pce
dave

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And since they'll do okay in any dry household enviroment she'll probably find the warmest place to make a home. My brother turned his house upside down looking for his Green Bottle Blue, but it only moved a few feet away staying in his warm spider room and made a web under his computer desk.

Jim B.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
those handle holes were the ones covered up by duct tape. those are the biggest holes... and it def. didnt escape through those...

i guess right through the slots?? thats the only other way unless i've got a quantum tunneling tarantula.. and to pay $3 for a quantum tunneling usumbara.. man, talk about a great deal.. ;)
pce
dave

Well, Hope you find it. I'd look close by for now. High up, low down.. nothing's off limits for them :)

Bill

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And was your lid and feeding door snapped shut? My Pink Zebra Beauty escaped on me one time when I forgot to snap the feeding door shut. I doubt a 1.5" T could lift the lid, but possibly the feeding door.

Jim B.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've def checked everywhere in the spider room -- i'm going to give it an hour and try again...

and yes, the lid was snapped shut...
the only way it could get out would be the slots or breaking the laws of physics...

crazy...
gonna go search some other spots now.

thanks
peace
dave

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think that tarantulas can fit through much smaller openings than we think they can. I've had two escapes that I've never been able to figure out. Luckily I found both of them (green bottle blue and red knee) and they never got out again.

-Olan

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few years from now dogs and cats start to dissappear then children........... Usumbara epidemic!!

then it breeds with the native spiders to make killers....then it gets..made in to a film..

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
I have yet to have a "oh my god, get that spider away from me, thats DISGUSTING" reaction from a girl...
perhaps that has something to do with the drugs you've slipped into their drinks...people aren't generally afraid when they're knocked out cold.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave, next time you bring a girl over, just say to them casually, "Oh, by the way...if you see a flying orange fireball with fangs, don't worry. That's just Sparky."

Bry

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave im sure you will find the little evil sun devil in the next couple days, it probably hasnt gone 2 far

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha nice :)

"yes, those are my DVDs, and this is a picture of the celtics before Boston Gardens was torn down... and if you get bit by a fairly sizeable orange tarantula, don't worry... you won't die"

it should turn up.. if its still in my apartment and not one of the 210 other ones..

its gonna be cold this weekend, so ill leave the heat lamp on.. i got some empty deli cups all over the place, so i can be near one if i see that orange punk

i feel like it booked it into the wall though.

good one karen.. my undergrad professors would love to get a hold of this guy... what, with the making of quantum wormholes and such...

Maybe when i find him, i'll name him Chandrasekhar (try that one on for size if youre a real physics nerd :) )

peace
dave

Last edited:

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always thought more of Dirac. And considering the speed of the usumbara, perhaps we need to apply relativistic quantum mechanics to the problem. :D

Karen N.
(I'll bet no one else is paying attention to this thread.)

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
well Im paying attention, but at my loss Im not getting the joke. Oh well I hope you find your spider Dave : )

Jen

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah man, physics AND T's -- perhaps I'm not lost in the crappy music and crowded bars after all :)

Yes, ive got a trap all set up Jen..

well not really.
im just gonna do some more searching :)

pce
dave

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Carefully

Hi

Read this escape post carefully again!

And again.