1/4 inch (1cm) Sling U. Hairs?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My .25 inch suspect LP kicks its back leg as if it is throwing UHs. Should I be worried about being hit by them yet, or is it too small to matter at this point? I'm not new to tarantulas with UHs, but I am new to Slings, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Everyone reacts to them differently, UH from a sling at that size for me is insignificant, 1'' and up is when I actually start to feel discomfort.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thankfully, my little L. difficilis has never kicked hair at me. He might have given a threat pose one day when I put some water in... he is too small to be sure.

cold blood

Staff member
Thankfully, my little L. difficilis has never kicked hair at me. He might have given a threat pose one day when I put some water in... he is too small to be sure.
They grow fast...mine went from 1/2" to a mature 6" spider in just over 8 months.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They grow fast...mine went from 1/2" to a mature 6" spider in just over 8 months.
What!! I must be doing something wrong, then. I got my little tyke on May 17th at 1/4". He has moulted every month since - June 25 and July 27. He might be pushing 3/4" tops. I had heard that they were fast growers, but then I was berated on Facebook for feeding him twice a week and told that they grow at the same rate as Brachypelma. I knew that was definitely wrong, but I figured it might be somewhere in between - a medium growth species.
My guy sure is taking his time.
(I am not sure of sex, I'm just saying he to make it easy.)

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
All I get from my pamph is a runny nose, loves to blast me with hairs... :D

cold blood

Staff member
@VanessaS

I keep my room warm...about 80 from fall to spring....as a sling he was fed every 3 days.

The LI and LP I have are already 1.5" and they were little 1/4" things just this spring....Once they get over that inch mark they really change into eating and growing machines...I just wish they looked nicer.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Once they get over that inch mark they really change into eating and growing machines...I just wish they looked nicer.
Well, maybe my little one is just on the verge of a huge growth spurt.
They were not a genus that I have been interested in keeping. I was even a bit concerned that they were outside of my comfort level, to be honest. My little one was a freebie and I decided to keep him and do the best I could and hopefully he turned out to be one of the more calm individuals.

cold blood

Staff member
Well, maybe my little one is just on the verge of a huge growth spurt.
They were not a genus that I have been interested in keeping. I was even a bit concerned that they were outside of my comfort level, to be honest. My little one was a freebie and I decided to keep him and do the best I could and hopefully he turned out to be one of the more calm individuals.
I hear you....mine wasn't a difficult spider, once he did jump past the cricket and onto the tweezers right up to my hand in a blink...surprised me a little because he was never overly eager...he was penultimate at the time, so he wasn't small. Mine never was a flicker, although my hands off approach means I rarely get flicking except for my smithi on occassion and coloratovillsus (she just has to notice me).

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What!! I must be doing something wrong, then. I got my little tyke on May 17th at 1/4". He has moulted every month since - June 25 and July 27. He might be pushing 3/4" tops. I had heard that they were fast growers, but then I was berated on Facebook for feeding him twice a week and told that they grow at the same rate as Brachypelma. I knew that was definitely wrong, but I figured it might be somewhere in between - a medium growth species.
My guy sure is taking his time.
(I am not sure of sex, I'm just saying he to make it easy.)
I have about 5 Lasiodora slings (four itabunae and one parahybana) and they're all fed on the same schedule. Got them all in early June at 1/4"-1/2" and now they've all molted twice. Some one are pushing a good 3/4, while one looks to be almost an 1". If you were berated for that, I would've been yelled at for feeding them everyday haha.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm incorrect. I just gave my little one some water, and took some photos, and he is 1" DLS. They have those really long legs, though.
I guess that's not bad growth after all - 3/4" in just over two months in two moults.

cold blood

Staff member
Wow, that is fast. Are you feeding it protein shakes and muscle mass supplements?
If you look between the ribeye and the sweet potato mash, hiding behind a mushroom, you will see a little LP eating dinner. Its really hard to see.:astonished:

I just looked and I was mistaken, it was 9.5 months, not 8...still fast though.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you look between the ribeye and the sweet potato mash, hiding behind a mushroom, you will see a little LP eating dinner. Its really hard to see.:astonished:

I just looked and I was mistaken, it was 9.5 months, not 8...still fast though.
I might have to get one of these just to see the growth rate. That is insane.

cold blood

Staff member
I might have to get one of these just to see the growth rate. That is insane.
I've had chromatus and cambridgei males mature in the same kind of timeframe...couple versicolors weren't far behind.