0 - little maintenance plants for Enclosure

TRection

Arachnoknight
Does anyone have any suggestions on live plants for an enclosure? I like the look of real plants but i would want some thing that has little to no maintenance to keep, but i dont really know anything about types of plants or their names.

We have a vegetable garden at home so im good at keeping things alive, but i dont know flowers and stuff very well so im not sure what kind im looking for. (if live pants are even a good idea in the first place)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Air plants! A couple of my enclosures have them. Just expect that your T will dump them into their water dish eventually :rofl:

TRection

Arachnoknight
Air plants! A couple of my enclosures have them. Just expect that your T will dump them into their water dish eventually :rofl:
Awesome i completely forgot about those! I should be able to glue them to a piece of bark or a small rock so the T cant push them around right? And do they need to be misted or can i leave them alone?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ive had great success with pothos, neon pothos, succulents, and small trees called "money trees" in my enclosures

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pothos are low light needing, they are like the GBB of plants. You will have to prune it back though as they can grow quite a bit. It's not a low maintenance plant in that regard, but in all other ways it generally is.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Pothos are low light needing, they are like the GBB of plants. You will have to prune it back though as they can grow quite a bit. It's not a low maintenance plant in that regard, but in all other ways it generally is.

I dont mind pruning them :) in fact after doing a bit of research i just found out how easy they are and how as you prune it, you can take those prunings and just replant them and they grow like weeds into a fresh new little plant which would be perfect for having multiple plants in different tanks and such. Ill definitely be going this the pothos!

boina

Lady of the mites
I think plants are only a good idea for species that need at least a little moisture. Don't try this with arid tarantulas!

Otherwise spider plants (Chlorophytum) can be a good addition, too: Low light, low maintenance, and whatever amount of moisture the tarantula needs is fine with them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have Epipremnum aureum in my enclosures that can support them. They grow like absolute weeds and can be easily pruned and the cuttings planted to grow on.

I set up a home for the blondi I was buying. Quickly realised it was going to be miles too big but just thought I'd let it bed in for 6+ months until my lass is big enough for it. Put a cutting in and 3 months later it looks like this. All the white dots are introduced springtails.

They've done great in both of my pokie enclosures. They've grown onto the cork bark tubes.

I've just brought my Cyriopagopus hati hati out into a lot more light so her cutting should start to grow although I'm not sure if she keeps clipping the roots as she lives under it.

They seem to be in status in my Megaphobema mesomelas enclosure. It must be too wet.

And finally I put 2 in with my Tokay gecko. They've grown loads.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 Is that a weed plant in your tokay enclosure? :troll:
Aye. I've tried to talk to Zeus but he says it helps him relax. He has to finish smoking before I go to bed though due to him falling asleep with a joint and nearly melting his water dish.

TRection

Arachnoknight
The flower store didn't have any Pothos so i picked up some Irish moss and a couple air plants instead, both are also no maintenance and look nice so i think this will be good :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Just keep your eyes peeled for any such plants in friend's homes, hospitals, offices, etc. If you can manage to snag a vine you'll have one for free ;)

TRection

Arachnoknight
I dont have any experience with the moss, how often does it need to be watered and will it grow on coco fiber and peat mix (could add some top soil if needed). Or i could plant it in a small planter and bury the whole thing into the substrate.

Also this tank will be for an A.Genic, will there be any problems with the humidity caused by the live plants? i was told Genics only like a little bit of humidity.

boina

Lady of the mites
I dont have any experience with the moss, how often does it need to be watered and will it grow on coco fiber and peat mix (could add some top soil if needed). Or i could plant it in a small planter and bury the whole thing into the substrate.

Also this tank will be for an A.Genic, will there be any problems with the humidity caused by the live plants? i was told Genics only like a little bit of humidity.
Irish moss is not a moss at all but a flowering plant. As such it needs a little (a lot) more light and some more water than I'd be comfortable with in an A. genic enclosure. It will not grow in peat/coco fiber, it needs more nutrients than that. It does like acidic soil, though, so it should do well in a mix of peat/coco and top soil (peat makes the soil acidic).

boina

Lady of the mites

Oh and VERY IMPORTANT:

Wait AT LEAST two weeks before planting any new plants in a spider enclosure!!!

They are often sprayed with insecticides before sale!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh and VERY IMPORTANT:

Wait AT LEAST two weeks before planting any new plants in a spider enclosure!!!

They are often sprayed with insecticides before sale!
I'm more than likely paying more but I buy my plants from reptile shops so they've been grown knowingly that they're destined to be kept with animals.

I'm 100% positive I could buy the "same" plants far cheaper in a garden centre but I won't risk it.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I'm more than likely paying more but I buy my plants from reptile shops so they've been grown knowingly that they're destined to be kept with animals.

I'm 100% positive I could buy the "same" plants far cheaper in a garden centre but I won't risk it.
Im not going to risk it either then, thank you very much! I wont be using the moss. The air plants should be on though right? as i have already washed them off a few times and will continue to do so if needed as they dont have a problem with it lol.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Im not going to risk it either then, thank you very much! I wont be using the moss. The air plants should be on though right? as i have already washed them off a few times and will continue to do so if needed as they dont have a problem with it lol.
If you've washed them they should be fine as they don't have substrate that might be tainted with nasties.