You touch it.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
With all the weird things on this planet that I love. This scares me.
I've seen them at my fishing hole too. Crawling out from under rocks, and flying in for the assault. They've actually attacked me before. Hissing and all kinds of aggressive postures.

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with @krbshappy71, a Dobsonfly. They don't bite with their large mandibles up front though from what I hear, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire
I agree with @krbshappy71, a Dobsonfly. They don't bite with their large mandibles up front though from what I hear, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Zoom in on that pic. Those mandibles look sharpened, and serrated. And not being willing to use them. That's what they threatened me with, along with the hissing.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Zoom in on that pic. Those mandibles look sharpened, and serrated. And not being willing to use them. That's what they threatened me with, along with the hissing.
I do believe they only bite when actively touched. Just ignore them and continue on your way. The males (the one in your picture) cannot even bite hard. They use their mandibles to show off for females and to grasp the females. It is the females whose bite hurts.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Man, I love dobsonflies. Have yet to see one in the wild, of course, but that rarely changes these things.

It's like fiddler crabs--they can probably still bite, but it's so exaggerated compared to other mandibles that they're probably fairly ineffective.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
The timing of this post is incredible. I did a light trap tonight, and for the first time, I attracted two female dobsonflies.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
IMG_20190626_000840~2.jpg here is something I seen in my building the other day. Iv only seen two. I have not the slightest idea of what it is. Creepy looking though...

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Mole cricket, Gryllotalpa sp. Most likely G. gryllotalpa, as it's most common, but there might be other species in your region as well. They're really cool animals.
Dang thanks man. I ain't gonna lie I wasnt gonna start poking it, It did seem brave though. Appreciate it :D:rolleyes:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I was originally afraid of dobsonflies as well, until I came across my first male. He tried so hard to be scary and intimidating, but all it did was make him look goofy. They can't actually do any damage with those giant mandibles (the females can though, since they have a much smaller set), and the one I found was holding his entire head up in the air as if he couldn't see past his massive jaws. While anthropomorphizing isn't usually the best idea, I think it helps a bit when trying to get over an apprehension towards harmless things.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
It’ll pinch but it won’t break skin. The female dobsonflies are what you have to watch out for.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
mole crickets are pretty cool, they are the only orthoptera that actually care for their young

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mole cricket challenge, hold one in an open fist while it tries to dig between your fingers, commit to it. Those things are strong! I used to keep them but they're like keeping, well, a mole, never see them.

Last edited: