Would you eat tarantula?

Would you eat tarantula?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I might try one out of politeness if I were a guest, and refusing it would offend the host who offered it to me.
Muahahahahah, I've read more than once such a statement on my life. So, if you are in a position where the host offers you basically fried cough *censor* cough, you would eat that out of politeness? :kiss:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Muahahahahah, I've read more than once such a statement on my life. So, if you are in a position where the host offers you basically fried cough *censor* cough, you would eat that out of politeness? :kiss:
There are limits to what I would endure in the name of courtesy.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Baffling, I would refuse an item of food/drink I didn't like from a host. If that offends them, then.... Too bad...

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Noooooope. Nope nope nope. The thought makes me squirm.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I would eat just about anything pan fried in olive oil and garlic, with a plate of chips!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Apparently, Theraphosa species are eaten in Venezuela all the time. The way it's prepared is that it's cooked rotisserie-style to burn off the urticating hairs, then seasoned with oil and wrapped in banana leaves. The fangs are used as toothpicks after you're done. It supposedly tastes just like shrimp.

That's pretty tempting, especially as I'm allergic to shrimp and I wanna know how it tastes, but the fact that it's a tarantula, an animal that I do care about on an emotional level, means I'd never eat it. I wouldn't eat a dog.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
There are countries where people eat bugs. Then here, everyone's grossed out by it. I'd try some insects willingly if they were prepared decently, but tarantulas not so willingly because I keep them as pets.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Maybe one of my nephews from Cambodia came over and joked about eating Ts and scorps and he showed me a couple of pics. He said it tasted a lot like lobster.

Soccerjets

Arachnopeon
Definitely not....just the thought of putting a spider in my mouth is revolting... :depressed:

Zvyezda

Arachnopeon
Only if it was a free range T, had a cleaver name and a happy life. This T must have only been fed cruelty free insects that were grown only in the USA on a small farm with no carbon footprint! The farmer's family has to be nice too.

And when the waiter brings it by, I will send it back because it is overdone.

Last edited:

Deb60

Arachnosquire
No I woudnt eat a Tarantula, woudnt get me eating any insects of any sort yuk!

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I don't mind eating animals that I've raised but I'm a little unsure of tarantulas since they are an invertebrate, which to me does sound kinda gross. At the same time, if my brother dared me...who knows...a little ketchup...maybe a bit of seasoning...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Apparently, Theraphosa species are eaten in Venezuela all the time. The way it's prepared is that it's cooked rotisserie-style to burn off the urticating hairs, then seasoned with oil and wrapped in banana leaves. The fangs are used as toothpicks after you're done. It supposedly tastes just like shrimp.

That's pretty tempting, especially as I'm allergic to shrimp and I wanna know how it tastes, but the fact that it's a tarantula, an animal that I do care about on an emotional level, means I'd never eat it. I wouldn't eat a dog.
these nut jobs who eat these are going to cause extinction of wild populations. No tarantula grow fast enough to survive over hunting. Not saying it wouldn’t taste good I just don’t have a strong stomach for nasty looking food.:drunk:
I can’t even handle chicken with lots of fat bits on it .:chicken:
Sounds as gross as eating a snake or a centipede.
I guess we can hope they eat them rarely. Poor spidelings.

Last edited:

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I have eaten McDonald's so there clearly isn't much I won't eat lol. With that said I'd definitely eat two to see if different species taste different as well.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
When I was in college I have made a bet that I would eat cricket, and I won, lol;P
But tarantulas, no. They are pet animals for me. I would feel bad eating it, the same way I would feel eating dog, or cat.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I love how those multi-millionaire, radical chic nut jobs, are always into those kind of crap :pompous:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Nope, wouldn't have before I started keeping T's and now that I see them as pets ... even less of a chance. They probably taste like chicken anyway ;)

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can vote yes because I have actually eaten it in Beijing. Pretty sure it was a Cyriopagopus

I chose to do it because the spider was obviously already dead and I was curious. However I did feel guilty afterwards

It didn’t taste good