Would you eat tarantula?

Would you eat tarantula?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minty

@londontarantulas
Yes or no?

I'd try it, out of curiosity, but I doubt it would be a regular habit, disregarding any sort of survival situation.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't look for it. But I wouldn't mind trying it.

Don't care to support the food trade of tarantulas. Usually collected in dozens to hundreds as adults.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Heck no, I wouldn’t eat anything that I keep as a pet :wideyed: It just doesn’t feel right

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't have a desire to try tarantula simply because it has a lot of characteristics I don't enjoy in food - crunchy outside/mushy inside (I hate seafood), tiny parts that require a lot of disassembling to eat (again, seafood, but also things like chicken wings lol), etc. But I do not have anything morally against their consumption and would definitely eat them if they appealed to me.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Yeah. I eat animals already. Even chickens, which start out as those adorable little chicks. I don't think I'd like them much, but I'd try. I would never be the one to kill it though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I wouldn't look for it. But I wouldn't mind trying it.

Don't care to support the food trade of tarantulas. Usually collected in dozens to hundreds as adults.
Haplos might follow the dodo bird at rate Asians eat them in then 100-1000s. See it on that bizarre food once saddening.

I’m starting to hate chicken my mom cooks it’s too much. Poor dodo , woulda made an nice pet .:wacky:

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I eat balod, so why not a tarantula...

Just not my $75 G. pulchra...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Barring survival situations, unlikely. I might try one out of politeness if I were a guest, and refusing it would offend the host who offered it to me. However, it's not a food I would seek to eat or order at a restaurant, as I see tarantulas as companion animals.

Fortunately I don't know anyone who would ever serve tarantulas to guests. :yuck:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I don't eat meat/animals/what have you, so I can't say that I would except perhaps in a survivalist situation (a running theme, it seems). I would still have that cringe-factor that comes with living in a country where eating bugs and such is gross, but I would rest easier eating something that doesn't seem to feel pain versus any animal that the most efficient killing methods in a survivalist situation would likely be extremely painful and terrifying to the animal

I do, however, believe that inverts would be a better solution for feeding people than continuing to destroy delicate ecosystems to make cattle pastures, and continuing to doom our planet. So perhaps there's an untapped market for certain fast growing, large brood-producing, captive bred tarantulas instead of mass harvesting large wild adults. Perhaps there's a major business opportunity we're all missing with breeding LPs? :eek: