WikiHow

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
“Once the tarantula becomes a juvenile or reaches between 1.5 and 2 inches (25.4 and 76.2 millimeters)”

That’s 1 and 3 inches going with there millimetres, it should be 37.9 and 50.8 millimetres

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Feed an adult Pamphobeteus five crickets and one cockroach per week.
Hmm, that seems like quite a bit. Also, I love the molting image. Apparently tarantulas turn into ghosts to molt.

xWoomy

Arachnopeon
This cricket is SO POWERFUL that he is tearing the T's soul from its body, this is what they're hiding at Area 51

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Okay, as ‘effed’ as that clown show was, I wanted to scream when they started talking about sterilising the substrate; it was actually adamant about never handling. And honestly that’s the first time I’ve seen a Big Box entity take a hard stance on handling. I just don’t get why the rest of it is utterly moronic. If you know enough to know that tarantulas aren’t fashion accessories, shouldn’t you be able to write a care guide that we can actually recommend?

Moebius

Arachnopeon
What's more frightening is the amount of people that use wikiHow for instructions on... well, just about anything and expect something consistently legitimate. Feeding chunks of beef anything should have been long since abandoned since the 50s-60s when that BS made the rounds.

Then again... I still hear of folks suggesting cow blood and heart having "aggressive hormones" capable of causing spontaneous molts and a way to "help" motling is to drip beef blood on the mouth parts... so, yeah. Just when you thought a myth died out, it comes right back somewhere, somehow. It's like they're hoarded for a rainy day, decades later, just to see who'll bite.

"I could, you know, take engineering courses and become a qualified engineer before making a suspension bridge for my family, but that's expensive and time consuming.... or I could just go onto wikiHow and prove how inexperience and high tension cables makes for an entertaining combination on video. They call me "one nut" now!".

"I wanted to fix my microwave, and wikiHow cleverly showed me how to use my own body as the grounding for it's magnetron even when unplugged to dissipate the charge. The hospital bill was only a hundred times over what paying for a qualified repairman (or replacing the microwave) would have been! Wait, what was I fixing again? Where am I..." *charred thumbs up in thanks of wikiHow*.

"Who would have thought the snake is actually tracking my groin when snake charming! It thinks there's another snake in there! Thank you wikiHow, I gyrate much more thoroughly before feeding my cobras now! The lady snakes really put on a show of their hoods in appreciation! I really have to fend them off feeding now, my bumping and grinding really sets them off, whoa Nelly!"

"Thanks to wikiHow I learned the proper way of building and installing a tub is base it on it's original name and purpose, the baby-drowner! It only cost me my marriage and uncomfortable police questioning, but the tub never looked better, and cost couldn't have been cheaper!"

More seriously though, it is pretty sketchy. Go figure with a bunch or random strangers on the internet offering instructions and not referencing sources. Kinda like Wikipedia itself can get on controversial subjects. The memes are well justified.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Lmao! That is on par with the one I posted a while ago. Anyone else read the answer at the bottom that explained that females will hook out while males will just grow?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Well everyone knows this article is full of crap, because any self-respecting owner feeds their T steak from Morton's.
Mmm medium rare filet mignon! Best steak I’ve ever had.

Yeah, the article is 99% wrong, but I want to just screenshot the part about never handling because ALL T articles should include something to that effect, but I’m on my iPad and I’m not sure how do it with one.

At any rate, I basically feel that there should be more education about spiders in grade school. Maybe if the US didn’t stink at its educational system, kids could be taught about tarantulas and other invertebrates. Heck, even a whole class on Arthropods! I’d love to rework the entire education program. School should teach about Nature in a way that inspires kids to treat it with respect and take care of it. Instead we get millennials who can only remember “The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell!” At least show a decent spider documentary! That would stop grown idiots who know only one thing about tarantulas from showing how ignorant they were because, get this: they didn’t think this sounded well and truly awful before they uploaded it. Ergo, if they were just a little bit smarter about spiders before they made this, chances are, it’d be a much more accurate article.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
So much wrong.... apparently I need to put a thermostat on all my enclosures - that's going to be a real pain, especially with the 32 oz. delis and the vials I keep my slings in. And I need to feed twice a week, so I can have bloated, overfed spiders.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
It has some details right, but oh boy...

And this question is almost hilarious for why they think it's a bad idea instead of why it's actually a bad idea.

Is it OK to let a tarantula roam around an empty room?
Probably not. Tarantulas require precise temperature and humidity levels that you can't control well in a large, empty room.