Why does the invertebrate and reptile community use latin names?

Why do you use latin names?

Votes: 20 47.6%

Votes: 8 19.0%

Votes: 25 59.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I went to a local reptile show this weekend. You should have seen the names these people used for the Ts, unreal.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I try to use Latin names with people in the hobby when actually speaking to them, but I will admit that I know way more Latin names than I know how to correctly pronounce. Yeah, I talking about you Ybyrapora diversipes. I just use Avicularia diversipes - everyone knows what talking about.

Also I sometimes I use common names because I like the way they sound. Ghost ornamental and king baboon just sound cool (although queen baboon would be cooler - and more accurate).
When I cop out, I just use the first initial of the first name and then the full second name. "Oh yeah, those Y. diversipes are pretty cool" :cyclops: (<-- that's the closest face to a poker face that we have in the emojis, the mods should really get on that :rolleyes:)

I use scientific names whenever talking on here or talking to my boyfriend (even though he doesn't know the scientific names and just nods his head), but I try to use common names when talking to the average person about them. But I find that I actually need to stop and think about the common name before saying it, so I think that may actually be counterproductive and make me seem less credible in those scenarios.

And while I'm not super involved in either hobby, the conclusions that I've drawn from both the plant and fish hobbies were that the more truly involved people would use scientific names. Much like how it is on here.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
When I cop out, I just use the first initial of the first name and then the full second name. "Oh yeah, those Y. diversipes are pretty cool" :cyclops: (<-- that's the closest face to a poker face that we have in the emojis, the mods should really get on that :rolleyes:)

I use scientific names whenever talking on here or talking to my boyfriend (even though he doesn't know the scientific names and just nods his head), but I try to use common names when talking to the average person about them. But I find that I actually need to stop and think about the common name before saying it, so I think that may actually be counterproductive and make me seem less credible in those scenarios.

And while I'm not super involved in either hobby, the conclusions that I've drawn from both the plant and fish hobbies were that the more truly involved people would use scientific names. Much like how it is on here.
As far as I know; Ybyrapora is pronounced ee bee ra po ra. Not really difficult. Unless I am wrong of course :D

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
As far as I know; Ybyrapora is pronounced ee bee ra po ra. Not really difficult. Unless I am wrong of course :D
Logically, I know that makes sense, but my brain gets one look at those "y"s then just nopes and shuts down. :rofl: This isn't the first time I've had someone break down the word for me, so maybe I'll retain it this time around.

I used to think the "cancerides" of Phormictopus cancerides was pronounced "cancer ides", not "can ser ih dees". So I have a bit of work to do with my pronunciations.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Logically, I know that makes sense, but my brain gets one look at those "y"s then just nopes and shuts down. :rofl: This isn't the first time I've had someone break down the word for me, so maybe I'll retain it this time around.

I used to think the "cancerides" of Phormictopus cancerides was pronounced "cancer ides", not "can ser ih dees". So I have a bit of work to do with my pronunciations.
You're not the only one having trouble, at least you're willing to learn and practice! Youtuber 'TarantulaDan' insists on calling his Y.diversipes as ' Y. diver sipes', instead of dai vur si pees (I am trying really hard to get the sounds right in English, lol)
But he also insists on handling, so...meh.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually just use the scientific name (which isn't exactly latin)....reason being
is that most of the people I talk to don't know the common names either, so regardless they won't ever know exactly what I am talking about...I mean, fringed ornamental isn't exactly more informative than Poecilotheria ornata to someone not in the hobby.
Its like when my dad asks who the Packers are playing. If it isn't the Bears or vikings I could say its the Tallahassee Warthogs and he wouldn't have a clue.

Ee-beer-ruh-pour-uh di-ver-sipees
I saw pour and beer and lost all focus after that.

If you were in Florida looking for advice on how to keep the green tree frog you found outside you might not want to listen to an Aussie. You might be talking about 2 different frogs.

By the way, we have 2 different pronunciations of Ybyrapora so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
But not the "sipees" part?? Sometimes you just gotta have a nice sipee cup of whiskey and call it a day. It's classy. :pompous:

You're not the only one having trouble, at least you're willing to learn and practice! Youtuber 'TarantulaDan' insists on calling his Y.diversipes as ' Y. diver sipes', instead of dai vur si pees (I am trying really hard to get the sounds right in English, lol)
But he also insists on handling, so...meh.
Oddly enough, I had no trouble whatsoever with the diversipes part. Maybe because my first tarantula was a G. pulchripes, so I was already used to the "ip ees" pronunciation :rofl:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
crystalfreakkk told me it was Ee-beer-ruh-pour-uh di-ver-sipees in post #38. You two need to come to a agreement on who's right. :confused:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Its like when my dad asks who the Packers are playing. If it isn't the Bears or vikings I could say its the Tallahassee Warthogs and he wouldn't have a clue.

If you were in Florida looking for advice on how to keep the green tree frog you found outside you might not want to listen to an Aussie. You might be talking about 2 different frogs.

By the way, we have 2 different pronunciations of Ybyrapora so far.
crystalfreakkk told me it was Ee-beer-ruh-pour-uh di-ver-sipees in post #38. You two need to come to a agreement on who's right. :confused:
Go with mine ;) it is not 'ruh' but 'ra'. And definitely no beer in there, unfortunately :rofl:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Yeah, i got lost reading this thread, it's 1:30 in the morning, so i am just going to agree with @Andrea82 as that is what I have been calling the Y. diversipes all this time, and call it a night.

On a similar note, i've heard "albopilosum" pronounced several different ways.

There are also two Psalmopoeus Sp whose names i cannot pronounce let alone spell.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, i got lost reading this thread, it's 1:30 in the morning, so i am just going to agree with @Andrea82 as that is what I have been calling the Y. diversipes all this time, and call it a night.

On a similar note, i've heard "albopilosum" pronounced several different ways.

There are also two Psalmopoeus Sp whose names i cannot pronounce let alone spell.
Spelling is not a problem for me, pronunciation however... my tongue gets stuck now and then or I run out of breath telling someone the name of a species.
*Inhale* - 'Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens' - *GASP* :cyclops::astonished:
:rofl:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I've been in the hobby long enough to know both, but I choose common names whenever possible. I only use scientific names on this site or if there is no established common name.

JungleFritz

Arachnopeon
At first, remembering all of the hard-to-pronounce latin names was really difficult. But now it's the complete opposite! I still don't know WHY I use them when almost all of my current inverts and reptiles have common names.
In my experience, other communities rarely use Latin names; such as fish and plant enthusiasts even though a lot of species don't have common names
Why do you use latin names?
1. There are many subspecies that don't have common names.
2. Everyone else does
3. Other (please elaborate)
4. I don't

I use Latin names, when I know them, because there is less chance of confusion. Common/trade names can change at the drop of a hat, but even if the Latin name I know has been superseded, people know exactly what I'm referring to.