Why does the invertebrate and reptile community use latin names?

Why do you use latin names?

Votes: 20 47.6%

Votes: 8 19.0%

Votes: 25 59.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

basin79

ArachnoGod
I’m the opposite, but unintentionally, I automatically assume that EVERYONE understands the Latin name because I talk to so many people online using the scientific name and then when I see their face of confusion, I have to catch myself and use the common name lol
That's understandable. All the real humans I see regularly don't keep or know about tarantulas/inverts so I automatically use common names.

Online robots on forums I use scientific names as I know they'll know what I'm typing about.

*missed a "know" out or added it.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I usually just use the scientific name (which isn't exactly latin)....reason being
is that most of the people I talk to don't know the common names either, so regardless they won't ever know exactly what I am talking about...I mean, fringed ornamental isn't exactly more informative than Poecilotheria ornata to someone not in the hobby.
See I'd say Indian tree tarantula to explain a Poecilotheria ornata to my mum or dad.

cold blood

Staff member
See I'd say Indian tree tarantula to explain a Poecilotheria ornata to my mum or dad.
Now they get into a conversation down the line and start talking about a name that actually has no value or meaning....precisely how people get so mixed up on their tarantula facts...hehe...when ornata is easier to remember and will actually yield factual results if they ever look it up or if someone they talk to looks it up.:p

basin79

ArachnoGod
Now they get into a conversation down the line and start talking about a name that actually has no value or meaning....precisely how people get so mixed up on their tarantula facts...hehe...when ornata is easier to remember and will actually yield factual results if they ever look it up or if someone they talk to looks it up.:p
I can 100% assure you neither my mum or dad will ever get into a conversation down the line. Ever.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Latin names much easier to remember instead of trying to remember 3, 4, maybe 5 different common names for one tarantula.
This is also the reason I prefer to use scientific names. It's easier to remember one name versus all of the common names. In some cases it is easier for me to use common names. Eg; Metallic Pink Toe instead of Avicularia Avicularia morphotype #6. Sometimes in conversation with people that aren't in the hobby I'll use common names because otherwise they won't know what I'm talking about and I would sound like a know-it-all.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
You have to remember that many common names mean nothing. Often times pet stores will just invent names based on arbitrary things. "Red leg Mexican tarantula" or "South American giant bird eater". There are a plethora of species that could fit that description. However some common names have become part of the T language. If someone mentions "obt" "gbb" "lp", ect, then it is clear what species is being referenced. The use of the Latin name eliminates any question as to what animal it is.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Of course, it could be argued that to the majority of people, Latin names mean nothing.

So I just make them up.

"This is my Flatulus stinkapoopian. It hails from the bean fields of upper lower Argentina, and is one of the more common reptiles in the region."

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
When I started in this hobby I just avoided using Latin names unless I was on here asking a question. Now I prefer to use them as much as possible. When I'm talking someone outside the hobby I try to use both. I normally start with the common name and f they don't know what I'm talking about, I'll use common names while throwing in the Latin name a few times. When talking to my parents I tell them the common names so they know what I'm talking about, then I use the Latin names. When I'm in the pet store or somewhere else and I meet someone with a T or scorpion, I use the Latin name. If the person gets confused by that, I just try to make sure the animal isn't getting terrible care. Most of the time they are. Sometimes I use Latin names just to show off or prove myself. For example, when I got my heterometrus sp., I was told it was an Emperor scorpion. I knew this was false, but I didn't have the information to correct him yet. So the next time I confronted him with all the facts. I used the Latin names I knew so he knew that I knew what I was talking about. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he still sells them as Emporer scorpions, not even P. imperator, just Emperor scorpions. Also when People try to tell me false facts such as, "Daddy long legs are the most poisonous spider in the world, they just can't bite people because their teeth are too small," I normally respond with, "Actually they are not. The term daddy long legs actually describes three main species, Opiliones, Pholcidae, and Tipulidae. Which are also known as, harvestmen, cellar spiders, and crane flies." Then I go on to explain the facts on each species and how they cannot be the most poisonous spider in the world. I also mention the difference between venom an poison. I do that because I am still young. So people automatically assume that they know more than me because they have been around longer than me. They are more likely believe me when I use as much "sciency" terms as possible.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I volunteer for a dealer at all the expos in my area. Using common names is a horror show.
Even if you use the correct common name, there are so many variables of them, that you are never absolutely certain if the species is the one that the person is referring to. I have to admit that I never use common names... ever. Except for the really obvious ones in my collection - Brazilian Black, Curly Hair, Golden Knee, Pink Zebra Beauty, Mexican Red Knee - I don't even know them.
But, it gets worse. People just don't use the correct common names either! I truly believe that people think there are only half a dozen types of tarantula out there - zebra, red leg, pink toe, bird eater, baboon, and earth tiger. I probably have a couple of dozen people approach me asking if we have any 'bird eaters' for sale, if we have 'striped earth tigers'... I've even had someone ask me for a 'blue red leg'.
Common names are a horror show, please don't use them. And, if you are going to insist upon using them, then please don't expect someone to fully understand the species that you are referring to.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
When I started in this hobby I just avoided using Latin names unless I was on here asking a question. Now I prefer to use them as much as possible. When I'm talking someone outside the hobby I try to use both. I normally start with the common name and f they don't know what I'm talking about, I'll use common names while throwing in the Latin name a few times. When talking to my parents I tell them the common names so they know what I'm talking about, then I use the Latin names. When I'm in the pet store or somewhere else and I meet someone with a T or scorpion, I use the Latin name. If the person gets confused by that, I just try to make sure the animal isn't getting terrible care. Most of the time they are. Sometimes I use Latin names just to show off or prove myself. For example, when I got my heterometrus sp., I was told it was an Emperor scorpion. I knew this was false, but I didn't have the information to correct him yet. So the next time I confronted him with all the facts. I used the Latin names I knew so he knew that I knew what I was talking about. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he still sells them as Emporer scorpions, not even P. imperator, just Emperor scorpions. Also when People try to tell me false facts such as, "Daddy long legs are the most poisonous spider in the world, they just can't bite people because their teeth are too small," I normally respond with, "Actually they are not. The term daddy long legs actually describes three main species, Opiliones, Pholcidae, and Tipulidae. Which are also known as, harvestmen, cellar spiders, and crane flies." Then I go on to explain the facts on each species and how they cannot be the most poisonous spider in the world. I also mention the difference between venom an poison. I do that because I am still young. So people automatically assume that they know more than me because they have been around longer than me. They are more likely believe me when I use as much "sciency" terms as possible.
Well done! im impressed!:)

boina

Lady of the mites
I use scientific names because everyone I talk to about spiders, be it online or in real life, knows them. If I say "geniculata" everyone is fine. If I say "Brazilian striped knee" every German around me thinks I'm an arrogant idiot wanting to show off my English.

It's so much easier. Just one name to remember. Otherwise I'd be learning three names and my poor A. geniculata would be Brazilian Striped Knee and Brasilianische Weissknievogelspinne all in one ;). And the "Tigervogelspinne" (translates as "tiger tarantula") would be P. regalis of all things. And do you know that your Arizona Blonde is just called Silk Tarantula in German? And a Pink Toe has Red Feet. Thank you, but I've enough confusion in my life, I don't need to add to it by using common names. (Interestingly I nearly never hear about German common names - they are hardly ever used and only the most common spiders even have one, but: everyone knows what an OBT is ;))

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I use scientific names because everyone I talk to about spiders, be it online or in real life, knows them. If I say "geniculata" everyone is fine. If I say "Brazilian striped knee" every German around me thinks I'm an arrogant idiot wanting to show off my English.

It's so much easier. Just one name to remember. Otherwise I'd be learning three names and my poor A. geniculata would be Brazilian Striped Knee and Brasilianische Weissknievogelspinne all in one ;). And the "Tigervogelspinne" (translates as "tiger tarantula") would be P. regalis of all things. And do you know that your Arizona Blonde is just called Silk Tarantula in German? And a Pink Toe has Red Feet. Thank you, but I've enough confusion in my life, I don't need to add to it by using common names. (Interestingly I nearly never hear about German common names - they are hardly ever used and only the most common spiders even have one, but: everyone knows what an OBT is ;))
And GBB too!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I try to use Latin names with people in the hobby when actually speaking to them, but I will admit that I know way more Latin names than I know how to correctly pronounce. Yeah, I talking about you Ybyrapora diversipes. I just use Avicularia diversipes - everyone knows what talking about.

Also I sometimes I use common names because I like the way they sound. Ghost ornamental and king baboon just sound cool (although queen baboon would be cooler - and more accurate).

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Cum tarantulas est enim vita tua, tibi loqui nisi Latine.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use bonomial nomenclature 99.9% of the time - The ONLY common names I use are GBB and OBT, and then I only use those when talking to other arachnid folk. I hate common names for tarantulas and won't encourage their use... I don't care who I am talking to - a 5 year old or my grandfather... they are getting a scientific name.

For venomous snake handlers it is very important to be able to accurately tell what snake bit you. Just saying "rattlesnake" will narrow it down, but one species' antivenin may do more harm than good if you were bit by another species. Using the proper Latin name gets rid of the ambiguity and ensures you get the proper antivenin.
Actually, in the US there is only one antivenin for native crotalid species (CroFab). There used to be a separate one for elapids, but it is no longer being produced.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I try to use Latin names with people in the hobby when actually speaking to them, but I will admit that I know way more Latin names than I know how to correctly pronounce. Yeah, I talking about you Ybyrapora diversipes. I just use Aviculara diversipes - everyone knows what talking about.

Also I sometimes I use common names because I like the way they sound. Ghost ornamental and king baboon just sound cool (although queen baboon would be cooler - and more accurate).
Ee-beer-ruh-pour-uh di-ver-sipees

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
I have been seriously into plants for over 20 years and I find that people with a casual interest use common names and generally speaking they often also have the least amount of knowledge, experience, and understanding. But the use of binomial names is very common amongst any serious growers and its use is mandatory in botany, all species descriptions must be published in Latin to be considered a valid publication. I find it a refreshing change that Tarantula hobbyists use the scientific names because one of the things that I find most annoying about the horticultural community is trying to communicate with people who use common names and the muddled mess that results when people cannot accurately portray what species they are talking about.

I also keep both reptiles and freshwater aquariums and it's pretty much the same, the more serious people use scientific names often but also some of the most common species are referred to my a common name. There are many species that simply don't have a common name too so there is no choice but to use the scientific name or in some cases it's only a genus name that is known.