Who molted today?

awiec

Arachnoprince
yup, still baby colors...must be 2" or better
We'll have to compare notes, at 2.75 mine still has them but I'll be expecting a molt in November/December to see if she will lose them at the 3 inch mark.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"4 of 4", Euathlus sp. "red" molted last night - again. I'm really suspecting a male by the rate he's growing now. That said, haven't seen the T yet, he's burrowed down all the way to the bottom. :D

gobey

Arachnoknight
OMG!!!! I've been waiting 3 months as a T keeper now to finally see this, and I'm finally seeing my big L.P. molt! After burying itself in it's burrow and not eating for like 2 weeks.

It was a 4" spider when I got him in about early July.

I have a 3 1/2" sac mate of it too that has started refusing food and is beginning to have her abdomen fill in black like his did. I was 99% sure this was pre molt anyways but I just came home from working bar security and lol he's upside down and I caught a molt!

How big of a spider can I expect from a 4" L.P.? I've heard so many things about their molt growth increases.

I'm excited. Big tarantulas! :D

Actually looking at him now t looks like he may already have molted and is in there with the molt.

In fact I'm certain of that. It's too late to mess with him and he just molted, I want to leave him be. But I want that molt! To be sure he's a he or a she! How's a good way to go about getting that. I don't lije TGE idea of bothering the T while it's "soft".

(Sorry this site likes to upload pictures from my Android upside down)

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue" female finished molting just fine.

"3of4" Euathlus sp. "red" 2" suspect female molted obviously last night, too :D

Pictures in my picture-thread (see signature)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Damn, I pulled L.P.s molt out.... just front legs... nowhere near complete. What do they do with them? Eat them?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Damn, I pulled L.P.s molt out.... just front legs... nowhere near complete. What do they do with them? Eat them?
They sometimes line their burrow with them or just tear them up. I assume there are some hairs still on the old skin so they might add some extra barrier from predators.

gobey

Arachnoknight
They sometimes line their burrow with them or just tear them up. I assume there are some hairs still on the old skin so they might add some extra barrier from predators.
Yeah it's nuts, there's no remains of the abdomen at all. He wasn't happy with me taking it either.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah it's nuts, there's no remains of the abdomen at all. He wasn't happy with me taking it either.
My GBB threw a fit when I was trying to clean, bolus clean up was fine but he was very upset when I tried to clean up his destroyed molt.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
My B. smithi molted today! can't get any decent pics since she spends most of her time in a burrow but I should be able to get the old exoskeleton out to confirm the gender the seller told me later.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Another one of my A. hentzi mature females molted. Everything went well. Four more tarantulas to molt soon. Glad the females are getting their molts all done so I can hopefully do some pairing in the near future. :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
My penultimate male is in premolt, and my mature female just molted. I think I'll hang on to her longer and get a sac outta her.

juvenile female aphonopelma 3", now 3.5" :

Stretching. This aphono is super calm.

awiec

Arachnoprince
P. sp Purple decided to pop a molt yesterday, I think it's going to mess the molt up but I'm leaning towards a boy. It ate a few days before molting too, this is why big SA terrestrials are fantastic, you don't have to wait much.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well my LP Zilla molted again. I missed it this time :(

---------- Post added 07-19-2014 at 08:15 AM ----------

After microscopic examination of the molt with a digital microscope I got for Christmas last year, I have determined that Zilla is a female, especially after finding a small slit (epigastric furrow) at the ventral area of the molt.

Since I am 90% sure that Zilla is a female, instead of "it" as I use to refer to all my unsexed Ts, I will be referring to Zilla as a "she" from now on.
I just reexamined the molt, and now believe it is a male based on some research I did on sexing by molt. I will post my pics I took with my hand microscope in the spermethae sexing gallery. Deep breaths now Matt, deep breaths.