Which bite is worse? Scolopendra subspinipes vs Scolopendra morsitan

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Subspinipes is way worse. However, your pede isn't a subspinipes (cephalic plate and longitudinal ridges).

Last edited:

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Subspinipes is worse but out of the 2 pedes you own the morsitans will be worst. As said previously, the other one is NOT subspinipes.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've been bitten by a number of different Scolopendra but never an otostigmid since the effort has always been to avoid bites. I am curious if an otostigmid really does hurt more or less, or is simply less likely.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
I've been bitten by a number of different Scolopendra but never an otostigmid since the effort has always been to avoid bites. I am curious if an otostigmid really does hurt more or less, or is simply less likely.
We already concluded it was likely to be Otostigminae in another thread.
I got bit by this guy once while trying to handling him but it was a dry bite, anyway, here's the close up pic of him, he's not a Scolopendra?

Attachments

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Nope; can tell straight away from the cephalic plate. There's nothing wrong with that of course - many of my most prized pedes are Otostigminae (mine all being in the genus Ethmostigmus).

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Can you tell me the genus of this guy?
It also has rounded spiracles instead of triangular - another feature of Otostigmids.

Either Otostigmus or Rhysida. Its colors look like the unidentified species Rhysida "Violet Beauty" but the body shape is overall fairly different. Otostigmus might be a better guess based on the antennae and terminals but that's just a hunch.

Last edited:

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
It also has rounded spiracles instead of triangular - another feature of Otostigmids.

Either Otostigmus or Rhysida. Its colors look like the unidentified species Rhysida "Violet Beauty" but the body shape is overall fairly different. Otostigmus might be a better guess based on the antennae and terminals but that's just a hunch.
Man, i asked every forums that i know, no one can tell the exact name of this guy

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Man, i asked every forums that i know, no one can tell the exact name of this guy
It's hard to tell from these photos, but even if you had detailed anatomical shots, there aren't many resources for identifying centipedes. A very large number of species in the hobby are not yet identified or scientifically described yet. Otostigminae species are even worse in this regard and many have similar color patterns or many color forms so a proper identification could require sexing or otherwise causing stress to the pede.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
Subspinipes is way worse. However, your pede isn't a subspinipes (cephalic plate and longitudinal ridges).
I can never appreciate your skill enough!!! I need a reminder on my imported small pedes from Ghana. I'll repost a new thread soon.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It's hardly skill haha. I'm going only off what others have said, as I have no experience with overseas species. Though, admittedly, I can generally determine small details such as cephalic plate overlap at a glance.