1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which bite is worse? Scolopendra subspinipes vs Scolopendra morsitan

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Smelted Duck, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Smelted Duck

Smelted Duck Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I have a 2 centipede, Scolopendra subspinipes and Scolopendra morsitans. What's your opinion, which one's bite is worse?

Attached Files:

2. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Subspinipes is way worse. However, your pede isn't a subspinipes (cephalic plate and longitudinal ridges).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Subspinipes for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoangel Active Member

CA
    I also say Subspinipes.

5. LeFanDesBugs

LeFanDesBugs Arachnobaron

Paris
    Subspinipes is worse but out of the 2 pedes you own the morsitans will be worst. As said previously, the other one is NOT subspinipes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Smelted Duck

My knowledge is limited, can you guys tell me what specie it is?

7. Staehilomyces

We already concluded it was likely to be Otostigminae in another thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    I've been bitten by a number of different Scolopendra but never an otostigmid since the effort has always been to avoid bites. I am curious if an otostigmid really does hurt more or less, or is simply less likely.

9. Smelted Duck

I got bit by this guy once while trying to handling him but it was a dry bite, anyway, here's the close up pic of him, he's not a Scolopendra?

Attached Files:

10. Staehilomyces

Nope; can tell straight away from the cephalic plate. There's nothing wrong with that of course - many of my most prized pedes are Otostigminae (mine all being in the genus Ethmostigmus).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smelted Duck

Can you tell me the genus of this guy?

12. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

It also has rounded spiracles instead of triangular - another feature of Otostigmids.

Either Otostigmus or Rhysida. Its colors look like the unidentified species Rhysida "Violet Beauty" but the body shape is overall fairly different. Otostigmus might be a better guess based on the antennae and terminals but that's just a hunch.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Smelted Duck

Man, i asked every forums that i know, no one can tell the exact name of this guy

14. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

It's hard to tell from these photos, but even if you had detailed anatomical shots, there aren't many resources for identifying centipedes. A very large number of species in the hobby are not yet identified or scientifically described yet. Otostigminae species are even worse in this regard and many have similar color patterns or many color forms so a proper identification could require sexing or otherwise causing stress to the pede.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I can never appreciate your skill enough!!! I need a reminder on my imported small pedes from Ghana. I'll repost a new thread soon.

16. Staehilomyces

It's hardly skill haha. I'm going only off what others have said, as I have no experience with overseas species. Though, admittedly, I can generally determine small details such as cephalic plate overlap at a glance.