Which Avic is best?

TarantulaKid

Arachnopeon
I think that Psalmopeus genus is great for those who want to have Poecilotherias but arent enough experienced for them. Psalmopeus irminia is almost the same as lets say P.regalis when talking about speed,aggresivnes and stuff. Psalopeus genus have weaker venom so they are great if you want Poecilotherias.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
My first avic is a versicolor... cool sling coloration and webs a lot. got myself now an avic. purpurea, amazonia and huriana... only my avic.amazonia is the one that doesn't make any web. others web a lot. im just wondering why... its pretty skittish also as compared to my other avics.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
I believe Psalmopoeus is a NW genus.

In my opinion, Psalmopoeus is a good "stepping stone" genus in that these spiders are fast and defensive without the medically significant bite of Poecilotheria, Pterinochilus, Hetroscodra, etc.
The "stepping stone" opinion will vary from person to person.. So, trying to tie it down now is suicide!
Unless, we can all decide on something!

---------- Post added 03-08-2012 at 07:58 AM ----------

Since we're mentioning Psalmopoeus.. P. cambridgei is an amazing T
webs lots and looks gorgeous! especailly slings because they have (or at least mine) a metallic gold Carapace

Breeum

Arachnopeon
Psalmopoeus is venezulan suntigers and trinidad chevorns correct, because i've seen a couple of them and they seem super aggresive. Yet again every poecilotheria I've ever seen has been pretty foul tempered.

After doing a little looking for myself i really like A. Diversipes and A. Versicolor, can somebody explain any differences between these species (Besides coloring).

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
Since we're mentioning Psalmopoeus.. P. cambridgei is an amazing T
webs lots and looks gorgeous! especailly slings because they have (or at least mine) a metallic gold Carapace
Wow, I must be doing something wrong because my sling has burrowed. The only reason I know it is in there is because it just tossed out its old exoskeleton.

Love my A. versi, yeh, lots of webbing but beautiful. I got the kids an A. avic and I am a little jealous, it is waaaay cute. I don't think you can go wrong with an avic but I have only experienced two.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to say anything but versi...There are many great Avic's out there that are comparable pricewise and less common.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus is venezulan suntigers and trinidad chevorns correct, because i've seen a couple of them and they seem super aggresive. Yet again every poecilotheria I've ever seen has been pretty foul tempered.

After doing a little looking for myself i really like A. Diversipes and A. Versicolor, can somebody explain any differences between these species (Besides coloring).
Of this genus those 4 listed below are those commonly available in the hobby (there are more, but I haven't seen those sold really so far):

P. cambridgei => "Trinidad Chevron" => (Pocock, 1895; Trinidad)
P. irminia => "Venezuelan Suntiger" => (Saager, 1994; Venezuela)
P. reduncus => "Costa Rican Orangemouth" => (Karsch, 1880; Costa Rica)
P. pulcher => "Panama Blonde" => (Petrunkevitch, 1925; Panama)

All of these are lightning fast when it comes to speed. None has urticating bristles and as already said, they have a weaker venom than Poecis, but are more on the defensive side. However, given the choice, the will usually use their speed and run than bite. If they get cornered, they rear up and threat pose. If molested more slap, bite. If given a nice hide, you'll probably not see them often since these are very reclusive usually (with exceptions). If you want to get a good look at all those species, try Jon3800 videos on youtube, I think he has 3 of those 4 mentioned above. (If I remember right, he only misses the pulcher, not sure right now!)

Either way, they are often made worse than they are, really (to recite Stan "not the screaming banshees from hell"). These guys -can- be a handful, but if treated with respect and just watched from the outside, they are great to watch whenever they show up! It's a "look-don't-touch-spider" after all :D. They are certainly not "super-aggressive" in any way really. There are a lot of vids on the net where they are shown like that, but most of those are from some, forgive me, "retards" that blow on the spider or intentionally annoy it to show like that. In most cases, Psalmopoeus will retreat into their hideout if disturbed.

However, since I saw you already chose, those are great Avics and I love that genus, too. As for the care of the two you selected, it's the same for all Avics really. No real difference there. Both of those are told to be more on the defensive side sometimes, depending on the individual though. In general they are docile.

jakeh

Arachnopeon
I have a sling cambridgei as well and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong as well when mine burrowed. However, since its last molt, it has come out of hiding and is living up high now. I read that it's not abnormal for this species as a sling to burrow.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do not know why psalmo's were even mentioned,he is looking for something that is docile/handleable.,which psalmo's are NOT.

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
I have a sling cambridgei as well and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong as well when mine burrowed. However, since its last molt, it has come out of hiding and is living up high now. I read that it's not abnormal for this species as a sling to burrow.
Thanks for that info. It makes me feel better about my sling's behaviour. The tube entrance has recently been elongated up -- maybe that means that it is considering venturing out its subterranean digs.

And you are right Brett, the OP was interested in Avics, a very nice specie, but psalmo's are pretty sweet looking too - just not handable, or at least I wouldn't.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was merely answering a question there...nothing wrong about it.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was merely answering a question there...nothing wrong about it.
I never said there was. I was just thinking that psalmo's do not belong in this thread do to their defensive nature.Which the OP was not looking for.......

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
imma just get back to the topic and say versi or diversipes... if ya wanna go less common, id say Avicularia "sp. green" see here > http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/wraithspirit/DSCF0029-1.jpg < i got that photo here > http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17388 < the 11th post down... ive skipped avics completely, and dove into pokies BUT will be def gettin my hands on at least the first two i mentioned here REAL SOON... the only person i can readily think of on these forums with the green one is jayefbe i think

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Between diversipes and versi, Go with the versicolor. Diversipes colors dull as they mature, a brown spider with a lil blue + more attitude.
Honestly I highly suggest A. avic or A. metallica they are Gorgeous and docile. I agree as well- Psalmos & iridiopelma etc . . Are not applicable.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
@ijmccollum and BrettG: Alright, sorry I misinterpreted your answers then. Apologies.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Between diversipes and versi, Go with the versicolor. Diversipes colors dull as they mature, a brown spider with a lil blue + more attitude.
Honestly I highly suggest A. avic or A. metallica they are Gorgeous and docile. I agree as well- Psalmos & iridiopelma etc . . Are not applicable.
You calling my diversipes brown,sucker?Pppfffffftttttt.........lol...