What tarantulas do you prefer old worlds or new worlds?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
New world. I keep animals to relax and I don't find medically significant venom very relaxing, so I don't keep old worlds.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
That's a toughie. I prefer species over "OW/NW" classification because every individual is different, but having said that I do like to be kept on my toes, and may lean more towards OW. Most of my collection is NW, though.

My sassiest is a P. irminia (NW), and my P. murinus (OW) seems to be pretty laid back so far!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I see alot of people going with option C which is by species. I think my interests fall under a fourth option, by habitat preference. I love keeping arboreals. Of the 16 tarantulas I have at the moment, only one isn't arboreal. There are some terrestrial and fossorial species I want to work with in the future, but my collection will always lean heavily towards the tree lovers.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well,holding Gorilla Glue to my head,NW.Introduced T keeping to my grandson 4 years ago with a G.pulchra.,that would never had happened with a pokie or H.Mac.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I had more or less decided to not even consider having an OW until at least my kids are older. Having read through the bite reports forum a bit, I'm not sure I ever would. Fast, aggressive tarantulas "teleporting" up feeding tongs to give a bite which is a 9 or 10 on the pain scale seems like a risk which I'd rather not take. If you can't even do sensibly performed maintenance without a non-trivial risk of having a bite which possibly requires medical attention then to me it's not worth it, no matter how beautiful the T.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
New world arboreal. I only have 4 terrestrial Ts and 2 were freebies. Old world just doesn’t interest me. I’ve found enough to keep me interested with arboreal new worlds. Maybe someday I’ll try OW arboreal but not in the near future. As a mother with a child that’s fearless of spiders...I can’t risk it. Not that she’d ever be around them unsupervised but I’ve read too many escape stories. So I’ll be over here with my New worlds 😏

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
OW for me because I don’t like urticating hairs. But personally I prefer species specific.

Steaminpies

Arachnopeon
I got an Avic avic in fifth grade from a local pet store but it matured into a male and eventually passed away. Now, after a little over a year back into the hobby, I have 11 species. All of mine are old world save for my Ephebopus cyanognathus. My favorite genera ATM are the Ornithoctoninae arboreals 😏 I have a Stromatopelma calceatum as well, who I’ll admit may instill a degree of fear in me 🤫 But yeah, the spicy ones for me. That being said I’m planning on getting a Phormictopus or something of the sorts as a display spider

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I had more or less decided to not even consider having an OW until at least my kids are older. Having read through the bite reports forum a bit, I'm not sure I ever would. Fast, aggressive tarantulas "teleporting" up feeding tongs to give a bite which is a 9 or 10 on the pain scale seems like a risk which I'd rather not take. If you can't even do sensibly performed maintenance without a non-trivial risk of having a bite which possibly requires medical attention then to me it's not worth it, no matter how beautiful the T.

I sort of agree. i say "sort of" because i broke my vow to not keep any OWs when I decided to get a couple Ceratogyrus. Something as you describe in behaviour had better have more unique features than simply colours before I decide to take a calculated risk..

I'll add that I'm not criticizing those who desire unique colouring. Only that a colourful appearance has never been an incentive for me. There are plenty of attractive NW's that fill the bill in that regard.

It doesn't hurt that Ceratogyrus has a decent reputation of not being psychopaths. and are generally considered decent entry level OWs.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
New World hands down can't beat the colors of a Caribena versicolor.

Although P. metallica is beautiful and would love to have one I am scared of the venom and their speed. I can and will admit I'm not ready for either and the risk. I've experienced severe medically significant venom injection from a true spider already. I do not want to go through anything like that again.

Last edited:

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I sort of agree. i say "sort of" because i broke my vow to not keep any OWs when I decided to get a couple Ceratogyrus. Something as you describe in behaviour had better have more unique features than simply colours before I decide to take a calculated risk..

I'll add that I'm not criticizing those who desire unique colouring. Only that a colourful appearance has never been an incentive for me. There are plenty of attractive NW's that fill the bill in that regard.

It doesn't hurt that Ceratogyrus has a decent reputation of not being psychopaths. and are generally considered decent entry level OWs.
I should say (hopefully it was apparent but may as well clarify) that there's no judgement at all at all from me on people who do keep them. I get the allure and fascination, of course. We all make our own value judgements and what's not worth it for me might be entirely so for someone else, and I do enjoy reading other peoples' experiences with these species.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
OW without a shred of doubt. Not that I have a choice in Aus, but even if I could get all exotics I'd stick to nearly entirely OW's. Other than sazamai, all my favourite coloured sp. are OW

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
I have children, so I'm sticking with NW. I can see why people buy OW, there are a lot of beautiful species, but it's not for me.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
i like all of my spiders equally, other than my nhandu tripepii which ate once then sealed off its burrow and hasnt done much for the past month