What tarantula should I get at BTS?

cold blood

Staff member
Exchange the LP for an LK or LD on your list - klugi and difficilis are better looking.
Or the LI...IMO the itabunae is the best looking Lasiodora...still nothing spectacular like the genic or chromatus though.

All killed from over-humidity though right?
I wouldn't say all, there are a bevy of other reasons....like improper housing, lack of proper ventilation (although this goes along with excessive moisture very often), improper heating, etc.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Or the LI...IMO the itabunae is the best looking Lasiodora...still nothing spectacular like the genic or chromatus though.

I wouldn't say all, there are a bevy of other reasons....like improper housing, lack of proper ventilation (although this goes along with excessive moisture very often), improper heating, etc.
I guess my point really is that it seems that Avic's aren't fragile, they're just common victims of poor husbandry. Meaning, if someone got the correct husbandry information here, there's no reason they couldn't raise them just fine.

cold blood

Staff member
I guess my point really is that it seems that Avic's aren't fragile,
I don't disagree...Avics, when kept properly, are indeed fairly hardy...they just have less tolerance for mistakes, and as newer keepers are more inclined to make mistakes, they aren't always the best beginner choice...although with the right guidance certainly can be a viable option.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All killed from over-humidity though right? I'm obviously much newer to this that you, but the stories I've heard of dead Avic's have been from reading bad info on care sheets. I only ask because your statement makes it seem like Avic's are fragile, which seems to be much less the case than people just taking bad advice.
Hard to tell over the internet ;) From descriptions most are either under-ventilated, too much humidity or both. You can have a lot of holes, but still kill your Avic with too much water. Some owners were care sheet killers, some were not.

It isn't that they are fragile per se like eggs hah. They require extra steps to propagate that are not done in typical terrestrial setups. Even someone doing the right steps, but providing more liquid (after all, we can't tell how much someone is misting etc) than needed will kill an Avic w/out knowing, and thinking they did everything right.

Like anything else, once you know how to do it, it's easy. People describe how much moisture to provide a T in their substrate, that's really not specific, because your moist is different than mine. This is why we see dead Ts, not everything can be taught by words on the internet. Some things need to be seen in person to understand ASAP, or literally experimented with, and unfortunately that means some Ts die along the way in an owners' learning curve.

It's this steeper learning curve that makes this genus not the best one to choose for as one's first T. And as I've said many times over the years, while they are a hardy genus, they are not as tolerant when it comes to husbandry errors compared to other species.

Trincess

Arachnopeon
So, an update!
I couldn’t find a euathlus sp red at the show. There was loads of a versis but all slings and I wanted something bigger than a sling so I settled on a b. Albopilosum. There was so many for sale and I haven’t got one. The one I got is a male but the price was very cheap and he’s not fully grown so I’m happy I finally have my own curly hair.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I settled on a b. Albopilosum. There was so many for sale and I haven’t got one. The one I got is a male but the price was very cheap and he’s not fully grown so I’m happy I finally have my own curly hair.
Great T to start with. If you decide you like that species, you can always get another after the male passes. I have 4 B. albopilosum...2 of them were surprise bonuses. Can never have too many of them.

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
So, an update!
I couldn’t find a euathlus sp red at the show. There was loads of a versis but all slings and I wanted something bigger than a sling so I settled on a b. Albopilosum. There was so many for sale and I haven’t got one. The one I got is a male but the price was very cheap and he’s not fully grown so I’m happy I finally have my own curly hair.
There was loads of the sp red.. I left at 3 and was still about 6 left.. they were slings and £15 .. was a good day out!! Busy though and lots of rude people with no manners!!

I came home with

Chromotopelma cyaneopubescens
Nhandu chromatus
Davus pentaloris

I had to stop from buying more as told myself only one today haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
I really enjoyed the BTS today, picked up 6 tarantulas and two new enclosures. Pretty happy with that.

Trincess

Arachnopeon
There was loads of the sp red.. I left at 3 and was still about 6 left.. they were slings and £15 .. was a good day out!! Busy though and lots of rude people with no manners!!

I came home with

Chromotopelma cyaneopubescens
Nhandu chromatus
Davus pentaloris

I had to stop from buying more as told myself only one today haha
Gutted I didn’t find the sp red. Nevermind, still good to have a new spider. Hope you are happy with yours.