What tarantula should I get at BTS?

Trincess

Arachnopeon
If, and it's a very big if, my husband decides to let me get a tarantula at the show this weekend (British Tarantula Show), (he says no but u never know). What do you think I should get if I get an opportunity? I have on my wishlist the following:
B.albopilosum
Euathlus sp red
L. Parahybana
A. Caribena versicolour

I like to see me tarantulas doing stuff if that makes sense.
Ant suggestions?

Minty

@londontarantulas
If, and it's a very big if, my husband decides to let me get a tarantula at the show this weekend (British Tarantula Show), (he says no but u never know). What do you think I should get if I get an opportunity? I have on my wishlist the following:
B.albopilosum
Euathlus sp red
L. Parahybana
A. Caribena versicolour

Ant suggestions?
I would go for B.albopilosum. I have an adult female and she's my favourite out of the 15 I have.

Mine is very active, looks great and is a great eater.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
B.albopilosum
Euathlus sp red
L. Parahybana
A. Caribena versicolour

Ant suggestions?
I would check out Nhandu Chromatus, and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Of the ones you listed I would go for C. versicolor or E. sp. Red, leaning more towards the E. sp. only because they seem much harder to find than the versi’s.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
My first T was an L. parahybana and I think its a great starter T. I even ended up getting a 2nd one later.:rofl:

Trincess

Arachnopeon
Of the ones I want the l.parahybana seems to be the most commonly available near me. The euathlus sp I haven't seen anywhere or the a.versi

I would check out Nhandu Chromatus, and Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.
Hmmm now I think I may add the nhandu chromatus to my list

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
If you can get a female Euathlus sp red then do it. Then send her to me. I've been after a juvenile/young adult female for a while now after seeing pics and posts about them on here.

Female Caribena versicolor are absolutely stunning though. Unbelievably so.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Not mentioned yet:

B. boehmei - moderate price and stunning
B. vagans - cheap and pretty
B. albiceps - moderate price and also pretty
B. klaasi - somewhat expensive, but nice adult pattern and color
G. iherengi - somewhat expensive, but striking tarantulas

I would not pay for an LP. They're freebies...and to be honest, their appearance is on the dull side. If you still want a Lasiodora, check out klugi and difficilis, as both are more interesting looking than the parahybana.

Trincess

Arachnopeon
So I’m thinking I’m definitely gonna try get the euathlus sp red if I can find one. And if I can convince the husband

cold blood

Staff member
Chromatus would be one to look for...very enjoyable t to raise...great eaters and great looking.

B.albopilosum
Euathlus sp red
L. Parahybana
A. Caribena versicolour
Of these the one I would get first would be hands down, no question...C. versicolor. Its light years ahead of the rest.

The LP would be the one I would remove from the list...big, good appetite, but plain looking...if you like its best qualities, you can find them in dozens of much much prettier species...many of which are equally cheap and available...like the chromatus for instance...or A. geniculata.

boina

Lady of the mites
Exchange the LP for an LK or LD on your list - klugi and difficilis are better looking. A. geniculata is great, too, I like this one better than N. chromatus just because the chromatus are so skittish- if you so much as breathe wrong when you open the enclosure you can go pick it up at the other end of the room (at least mine is like that).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
B.albopilosum
Euathlus sp red
L. Parahybana
A. Caribena versicolour

Ant suggestions?
First off, you need to trade in your husband for a better model.

Second, get an easy species to manage, for your first--- E sp Red is number 1, B albo second as they flick setae. Versi's are gorgeous, but most people kill Avics who don't have experience.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
First off, you need to trade in your husband for a better model.

Second, get an easy species to manage, for your first--- E sp Red is number 1, B albo second as they flick setae. Versi's are gorgeous, but most people kill Avics who don't have experience.

I think a more accurate statement would be that ‘many people who follow care sheets’ advice to keep their habitats over-humidified kill Avic’s’. I got a Versi as my second T (just a couple weeks after my first T), followed the advice given here for their care, and it has done awesome.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think a more accurate statement would be that ‘many people who follow care sheets’ advice to keep their habitats over-humidified kill Avic’s’. I got a Versi as my second T (just a couple weeks after my first T), followed the advice given here for their care, and it has done awesome.
I've known people with terrestrial NW experience who killed Avics. It's a standard answer I give. I don't give out "exceptions to the rule" answers without more info from the poster.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I've known people with terrestrial NW experience who killed Avics. It's a standard answer I give. I don't give out "exceptions to the rule" answers without more info from the poster.
All killed from over-humidity though right? I'm obviously much newer to this that you, but the stories I've heard of dead Avic's have been from reading bad info on care sheets. I only ask because your statement makes it seem like Avic's are fragile, which seems to be much less the case than people just taking bad advice.

Trincess

Arachnopeon
If you honestly want one that badly then I'll sell you my SAF, she's my least favourite tarantula tbh lol
Well now that we are at the hotel and the BTS is tomorrow my husband is softening a bit and coming around to the idea that I may be picking up a tarantula tomorrow :embarrassed:

Although your least favourite tarantula comment is not selling her to me tbh :smug:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Well now that we are at the hotel and the BTS is tomorrow my husband is softening a bit and coming around to the idea that I may be picking up a tarantula tomorrow :embarrassed:

Although your least favourite tarantula comment is not selling her to me tbh :smug:
Mainly because I react badly to Lasiodora hairs and she likes to kick hairs :rofl:

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
B.albopilosum
Euathlus sp red
L. Parahybana
A. Caribena versicolour

Ant suggestions?
I’m going tomorrow and already asking myself the same questions... decisions decisions!!