What other tarantula can I put in the same terrarium as my Avicularia Metallica?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for having to be harsh, but it really does get me hot under the collar when people impulsively buy LIVING THINGS without knowing how to properly care for them.

Also, good luck, Dray. My community failed a couple months ago. Two of them ganged up and ate the third.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear that Kori :( I had a P. pederseni colony fail back in May (I believe). I was devistated! On the bright side, the survivor was a female that happened to be gravid. I was back and forth between various states for months at a time. My room mate, who was caring for them at the time, fed everything else very well, but was too frightened to feed them... thus they ate each other.

Btw Coaster, those are some amazing pics and beautiful pair of Ts you have! Enjoy them, they're amazing. But if you're going to co-hab them, please ensure you give them both good hides and lots of food at all times!

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope, those are what are commonly accepted as A. metallica in the hobby.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm certainly intrigued how this will pan out in the long term but I also have other reservations. Obviously its your choice but this is incorrect:

I have chosen to allow them the chance to cross breed (as they would in the wild) to better better understand how they act.
2 A. versicolor - From the Antilles islands

3 A. metallica - From Surinam

1 A. azurklaasi - From Peru

2 A. avicularia - From Brazil

I think that explains my point. I really do wish you well as I firmly believe its possible but extremely hard to replicate in captivity. Its my belief much of that is to do with the sling and juvenile stage so s-A & Adults might be the key. I do however wish that it was just one species which would give you the benefit of selling off any slings rather than possible hybrids.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, came into this a bit late, but I didn't see anybody catch this. Coaster you didn't put the full quote from that website about molting, just the part you understood (which is understandable.) Everybody else, the website, while not going into great detail, was actually bang-on in what it said. Here is the full sentence:
"After sexual maturity is reached, the general rule is that they stop molting, but the females of some non-araneomorph species will continue to molt the rest of their lives."
See? Coaster, taxonomy is difficult at the best of times so don't worry about it, but tarantulas are not araneomorph spiders. They are included in the infraorder "Mygalomorphae" along with trapdoor spiders, funnelwebs and a few others, and it is true that tarantula females will continue to molt the rest of their lives. They also live much longer than your average spider, some up to 30 years or maybe more.
Males, once they molt into maturity will often die before they reach another molt. Most that do make it that long and attempt to molt again die during the process. Females can live many years after maturing and will most often settle into a pattern of molting once a year (though some species may molt every two years instead.)
So there ya go. Since nobody has said it yet, I would highly recommend picking up a copy of "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stan and Marguerite Schultz. It is invaluable to anyone interested in keeping tarantulas or interested in learning about them. It will tell you all about molting, proper conditions, taxonomy etc.
Cheers
Knight in Gale

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm certainly intrigued how this will pan out in the long term but I also have other reservations. Obviously its your choice but this is incorrect:

2 A. versicolor - From the Antilles islands

3 A. metallica - From Surinam

1 A. azurklaasi - From Peru

2 A. avicularia - From Brazil

I think that explains my point. I really do wish you well as I firmly believe its possible but extremely hard to replicate in captivity. Its my belief much of that is to do with the sling and juvenile stage so s-A & Adults might be the key. I do however wish that it was just one species which would give you the benefit of selling off any slings rather than possible hybrids.

Entirely correct on all accounts: However, other species of Avicularia have been noted and collected from those various regions in which they were not supposed to belong. Mankind, being the industrious creatures we are, accidentally move and misplace insects and the like all over the world - just by trading. My goal is what was stated above! However, in doing this, the main goal is to see if any of the hybrids may be some of the muddled Avicularia genus we've been seeing for years.

Example: Does the union between an A. versicolor and A. metallica create what is most commonly accepted as another Avicularia genus?

I will once again clairify the situation:

Again, I have NO inclinations on selling off hybrid slings.. IF any are even created from these unions. I have legitimate pairings and legitimate slings that are to be sold. Hybrids (if created from these unions) will ONLY be used to bulk up and expand existing colonies! (Trying to build enough to put into my 500gal Aquarium - which is going to be turned into a 500gal jungle terrarium).

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly coaster, I wouldn't recommend you to do this. All the others that have attempted this are experienced and are not new. You are brand new to this and do not have much knowledge with Ts. These species are not communal, and with you not having much experience, you will end up with a fat T. I recommend you either do a true communal setup with communal Ts, or don't do one at all.

pok2010

Arachnopeon
hmm, i was thinking of cross breeding the brachy's. Ill put them as comunes, ill have in there, Brachy albop, Bracy smithi, Brachy albiticeps, hmm might even add Brachy auruntum

yep, im going to ruin this genus, because i want to observe what hapens in the wild, oh yea i forgot MY HOME IS NOT THE WILD, the word to look for there is NOT and WILD

You want to see avics doing there thing, go to the wild, or observe avics at home that are NOT in mixed colonies... the genus is damaged as it is, we dont need you comming along delibrately doing it, and further more admiting it, then you simply try and ween your way out of it, no DONT you ARE being very irresponcible here

oh and if you have any problems, with any typo errors which there are a few, give me your keyboard, ill re-type it ... :wall:

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got to agree with Skeleton here. Wait till you have more experience with T's to attempt something like this. Even known communal species will eat each other if you don't have them setup just right. Try some H. incei first to get a feel for everything and then maybe try this out.

I have a feeling I might as well be talking to a wall.:wall:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Look @ that!

Someone needs to wax their eye-brows! LOL {D{D{D

:eek: What a Great Pic! :eek:

Oh, and Phillip, I am sorry :eek:, I fell asleep on the couch last night *sad-face* Let's play tonight, after Football games!

My Uzi is loaded......almost have the Gold Camo! :razz:

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
the genus is damaged as it is, we dont need you comming along delibrately doing it, and further more admiting it, then you simply try and ween your way out of it, no DONT you ARE being very irresponcible here
I dont see how Draychen is being irresponcible at all. He is keeping them knowing the risks of cannabalism and hybridization. He said he doesnt plan on selling them. Only keeping them for his giant communal tank. So where is he being irresponcible? I think you would have a point to argue if he was going to give them away or sell them. I am not for hybrids but people have the right to do what they want with there animals without affecting the hobby. I dont see the harm if you plan on keeping them.

Draychen: Write any hybrids into your will so they all get frozen please.. ;P

pok2010

Arachnopeon
I dont see how Draychen is being irresponcible at all. He is keeping them knowing the risks of cannabalism and hybridization. He said he doesnt plan on selling them. Only keeping them for his giant communal tank. So where is he being irresponcible? I think you would have a point to argue if he was going to give them away or sell them. I am not for hybrids but people have the right to do what they want with there animals without affecting the hobby. I dont see the harm if you plan on keeping them.

Draychen: Write any hybrids into your will so they all get frozen please.. ;P
The fact that i say this, is due to if he was to leave the hobby, defending for somone who is breeding hybrids, is some what unsettleing, if he wants to say "Im going to breed them, and put them in a larger tank" then, he has got to expect some stick for it... Again he also stated, i want to see how this would work in the wild, well go there then... Simple, and more to the point, how do you no he wont sell them, becvause he sais so... what if i said im going to give you 150 P.metalica, belive me because i said it ...

you see what im saying, just because he is doing this, and sais im doing this and that with the offspring, does not mean thats how its going to be ... keep an open mind my friend, and dont trust everything you hear... That is how you get screwed over BELIVE ME ;P

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Sorry for having to be harsh, but it really does get me hot under the collar when people impulsively buy LIVING THINGS without knowing how to properly care for them.

Also, good luck, Dray. My community failed a couple months ago. Two of them ganged up and ate the third.
It gets me under a heat stone when people assume things, I lurked on here before I bought my T, and I asked the owner of the reptile store many questions before adjudicating which T was most suitable for my intents and purposes. You act like taking care of a T. takes a genius when all it really takes is dedication.

Yeah I think I'm going to wait on getting another A. Metallica until further reading, however I'm under the impression that if your going to do a communal terrarium, its best to put them both in there at the same time so one of them doesn't associate the terrarium with their defensible territory.

Check out my pink ruby slippers

I also have a chinchilla named Fidget
:}

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The fact that i say this, is due to if he was to leave the hobby, defending for somone who is breeding hybrids, is some what unsettleing, if he wants to say "Im going to breed them, and put them in a larger tank" then, he has got to expect some stick for it... Again he also stated, i want to see how this would work in the wild, well go there then... Simple, and more to the point, how do you no he wont sell them, becvause he sais so... what if i said im going to give you 150 P.metalica, belive me because i said it ...

you see what im saying, just because he is doing this, and sais im doing this and that with the offspring, does not mean thats how its going to be ... keep an open mind my friend, and dont trust everything you hear... That is how you get screwed over BELIVE ME ;P
And seriously, how do you know that not every single Avicularia or other species is what they say it is when you purchase it? Because someone said so. Your only arguement to mistrust me is; that I have come out and said I am doing research on a community and hybridization.. and that I will NOT sale or give any possible hybrids away under ANY circumstance. Basically, because of what I am doing, you mistrust me and say I am irresponsible. To each their own. You're entitled to your opnion just as much as I am entitled to my own person scientific ventures.

But allow me to ask you this: Have you ever considered perhaps where Brachypelma (Hybrid - albopilosum X vagans) came from when people were selling them? And perhaps who may have had a hand in CB them without admittance? That right there should frighten you more. Food for thought.

Coaster - Yourn Chini is so cute! I love the name. You take some amazing pics, you definately need to keep them coming!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It gets me under a heat stone when people assume things, I lurked on here before I bought my T, and I asked the owner of the reptile store many questions before adjudicating which T was most suitable for my intents and purposes. You act like taking care of a T. takes a genius when all it really takes is dedication.

Yeah I think I'm going to wait on getting another A. Metallica until further reading, however I'm under the impression that if your going to do a communal terrarium, its best to put them both in there at the same time so one of them doesn't associate the terrarium with their defensible territory.
First, you can't trust what a pet store tells you.

Second, putting them in at the same time won't be any better. If you did do this, you would need sacmates that had not been separated, that would be ideal.

Third, I will restate what I said earlier. Until you are more experienced, either do a true communal setup with communal Ts or don't do one at all.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First, you can't trust what a pet store tells you.

Second, putting them in at the same time won't be any better. If you did do this, you would need sacmates that had not been separated, that would be ideal.

Third, I will restate what I said earlier. Until you are more experienced, either do a true communal setup with communal Ts or don't do one at all.
+1000 on this.

Sadly, whether we like it or not, most of the time... a pet store has no idea what they're talking about when it comes to T's. Speaking from personal experience... 9/10ths of the time, even if they sell tarantulas, a pet store doesn't know anything about them.

Secondly, it's not worth the risk, honestly. It sounds fun and rainbows and sunshine and puppies, but more than likely, you won't have a successful communal. It's just a frustrating fact.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Yeah I'll do more research on it, but the store owner seemed really knowledgeable. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an account on here, he even gave me his card and told me to call him with any questions. I trust him as much as I trust you guys.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I'll do more research on it, but the store owner seemed really knowledgeable. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an account on here, he even gave me his card and told me to call him with any questions. I trust him as much as I trust you guys.

Sounds like you found one of the rare gems. The pet stores around here are really good too. One used to not be that way.. and then I started rattling some cages. I had pretty much given up hope on that Animal Jungle, until I returned from a trip: Then I spent three hours in there helping some of the new staff clean and care for the Ts.. as well as watching them breed two A. avicularia for customers to watch and many other things.

The're few and far between, but they exist!

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Overly critical. This is the internet, many people of different backgrounds and experience levels. Spamming is worse.