What other tarantula can I put in the same terrarium as my Avicularia Metallica?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I'll do more research on it, but the store owner seemed really knowledgeable. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an account on here, he even gave me his card and told me to call him with any questions. I trust him as much as I trust you guys.
Right, to someone who doesn't know anything, they will seem knowledgeable. All they're trying to do is get your money. Most of the time they have no idea what they are talking about. And since you are new to this, you have no idea if what he was telling you was even correct. But as for us, you can look at our posts and look at what Ts we own and can tell who is knowledgeable or not. You just trust him because he "seemed" knowledgeable and worked at a pet store.

That being said, he might've been knowledgeable and you might've found a good shop. I'm just letting you know the truth of what really goes on at pet stores.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
I didn't say he was knowledgeable because of his context, but because of his mannerisms and willingness to answer as many questions, I would akin him to how you guys are in real life too.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Right - you're basing it on all the wrong reasons.

Give me his name and number, we'll see how knowledgeable he is.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
So how do you determine if someone is knowledgeable if their context sounds reasonable.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Coaster, you selectively reply to posts.. are knowledgeable about what typical questions and issues, know a reasonable amount about T's, and are writing in a clever, playful way. Troll mission is a success. ;P

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't say he was knowledgeable because of his context, but because of his mannerisms and willingness to answer as many questions, I would akin him to how you guys are in real life too.
I work in retail & have learned that as long as I can confident in what I am saying, people will buy that I know what i'm talking about. Sometimes i'm really just pulling ideas out my rear :D

Raine

Arachnopeon
Sorry for having to be harsh, but it really does get me hot under the collar when people impulsively buy LIVING THINGS without knowing how to properly care for them.
Well, I took my G. rosea with only base knowledge from the person who gave her to me. I was simply told she was female, to feed her a few crickets once a week, and about the water dish, substrate and hide. That was it. I didn't even know that Ts molted. I didn't know that more than one or two kinds of Ts existed. Yet I took her. And I came straight to a recommended site (this one) to do my research after I acquired her. I asked a lot of questions. Some of them so apparent that I was a newbie (and still am!) that I'm not surprised I got told off a little for saying that I believed what the guy I got her from said...only I was wrong on all but one account. She is female, by the way, for those of you who said she might be male. Cass&Mack saw her today and sexed her for me! :D

My Savannah Monitor was in a pet store and there was another one in there that was nearly dead (or dead, couldn't tell because he was in the back of the tank) and he was scrabbling at the front of the tank. I decided then and there to take him. I had had iguanas and many other lizards before. Never a monitor. Total impulse buy just to rescue him. The pet store told me that he would never need more than a fifty gallon terrarium. That at 3' he still needs a rat a day. That he needed to have sand or wood chips (like the kind hampsters and gerbils are on) for substrate. Well, I believed them on the sand and the size and the feeding...but the second I went home I went to Kingsnake.com and a few other reputable forums and did research. And what I found out was the opposite of everything they said. He is now 3' long at 2 years old and will likely get to about 4' or just a little over. If I were to feed him a rat a day he'd die of liver and kidney failure and obesity. He gets 2 rats a week, and not huge ones, just medium sized. If that. I monitor his weight to judge how much to feed him per week. But the point is?

I impulse took and bought first, did my research as soon as I got home. Nothing wrong with an impulse buy if you are willing to commit and realize the second you take the animal home it is your responsibility to keep and properly care for. Imagine how I felt hearing the Savannah who was never supposed to be more than 2' max was going to probably double it! Well, I committed to both my G. rosea and him. And I still have Gaara, to boot, and he's doing amazing. As long as you do the research when you get home and commit to the animal I don't disagree with getting it--as long as you also ask the important basic questions from the pet store. Unless they're idiots. Like the ones at my nearby one. {D

Listen to the people on the site when it comes to experience and facts. Form your own opinions on issues that are un-proved and not facts. Never start a discussion about handling. And be wary of the few users on here who like to bully or be rude. There are a few, and I just ignore them when they prove just how immature they are. I'm here to research and learn. And Chris is a great person to learn from, by the way. Just not going to agree with his opinions at all times, but his facts and experience are great. :)

pok2010

Arachnopeon
The fact you are tyring to base knowledge of a shop assistant over a hobbyist's knowledge, respected at that, is a no go area... Especially when it comes to shop's...

if i gave you my card and said, call me when ever you like, and you rang me and said, My spider has stopped eating, and then i said, its because she does not want her food, giv her a live rodent, and leave it with her... Would you take that on board and do it because i worked in that shop ?? i hope not...

the idea that you feel the need to go by a shop assistants advice worries me alot... But you did start this post to get help.

the only help im willing to give is,

Forget what you have been told by the shop, and get help on here, ask for a care sheet, and any other concerns... just ask

Msquared

Arachnopeon

I have a weird question :D
I've just left a mealworm in a lil dish so it doesn't burrow, but the worm is no longer in the dish:D my tarantula either ate the mealworm or it burrowed, not so sure. But I just saw my G.rosea taking a poop. The poop was light brown, but that's not a bad thing right?
Anyway, I wanted to know if she pooped because she ate the mealworm?
I know how this sounds, but I'm new to this. My friend got me a Chilean for my birthday, she had no idea how much I hated spiders. But after spending several months with my beautiful and strangely agressive Chilean, I started to realise how beautiful and fascinating these creatures are:)
Although I still am affraid to hold her, gotta take it easy and slowly.
Thanks and hi to all :D