What is Your Most Entertaining Spider and Why?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
What spider is most interesting to you these days or bringing you the most entertainment, and why is that, exactly?

Normally, I would probably say my large E. Campestratus female, because she's always out doing something and is a champion feeder. But lately, she's taken to hiding under her log and being rather secretive.

Believe it or not, these days I'm always most excited to check on a 1 inch B. Hamorii sling that has finally gotten large enough to identify by its pattern. It's always roaming around and has developed a prodigious appetite for it's species and size. I am expecting another molt to come along much quicker than one would have thought. We have a major growth spurt underway, obviously, and I'm just enjoying the heck out of watching this developing phase. I feel like such a proud parent!

This spider was tiny when I got it. I mean tiny! And I thought it had died for the longest time. When it finally surfaced, it was such a wee little thing I thought I would never be able to bring it up. And now it's well on its way to becoming the iconic classic we all know and love! I just hope it keeps its curiosity and even temperament as it puts on size.

So what in your collection is entertaining you or capturing your attention or imagination the most? I'm really interested to hear about this. Don't be afraid to brag!

Conversely, it is sometimes the most mundane little thing that catches your imagination...not always the rare and spectacular. Don't be afraid to "share over coffee." I am interested in your spiders the way a good aunt is interested in the goings-on of a favorite niece or nephew. So get yourself a cup of coffee and tell me about that darling little creature!

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
By far my C. fimbriatus is the most entertaining to me. I got it at as a 3/4” sling almost a year ago and it’s pushing 3” now. With its last molt it started showing those violets under a light and it is absolutely phenomenal. It is by far my most photogenic T. This video shows of its colors wonderfully.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Right now, my Psalmopoeus cambridgei (Squirt from @cold blood) and my Acanthoscurria geniculata (Genicula) amuse me the most.

You can "play" with the cam by crinkling candy wrappers nearby, and she'll come running toward the sound. If you slide a mylar ribbon between the cracks in the door, she'll grab it and yank it in. (My pulchra used to play tug of war but has lost interest.)

Once she yanked the ribbon all the way in and then dropped it after losing interest. A few minutes later, she started crawling down where the ribbon fell. I guess she wasn't expecting the ribbon to be there, because when she touched it, she spazzed out and ended up in the water dish.

Also, if you give her a choice between a clean water dish and substrate tea laced with webbing, she drinks out of the dirty dish.

My genic is constantly grooming himself next to his water dish. (Maybe I've called him a pretty boy too often?)

He is very possessive of his water dish and will jump in it when you try to fill it.

When he hunts, half the time he ends up on top of the prey and doesn't seem to know where it is. Once, he sat on top of the roach but spent 5 minutes attacking his plastic plant instead.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Also, if you give her a choice between a clean water dish and substrate tea laced with webbing, she drinks out of the dirty dish.
I had a cambridgei that would suck the juice off of a piece of cantaloupe (put in for dubia) when it had a perfectly full water bowl right next to it. What a weirdo! Those guys are always characters.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My B. schroederi, why you may ask? She is my best eater, even better than my A. geniculata, P. atrichromatus, P. cancerides, and my P. platyomma. Most insane feeding response I've ever seen.

As far as my favorite tarantula in my collection, it is no secret. H. Sp. red all day!!

Minty

@londontarantulas
My Brachypelma albopilosum. I think she’s joined a band as I can hear her drumming every night.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I would have to say my Davus pentaloris is the most entertaining.
It's pretty active for a tarantula, usually moving, grooming, plotting or webbing.
Of course the main reason is the feeding response. It just dives onto prey and wrestles it, often ending up on its back with crickets. One of these days I should film it; definately my favourite spider to feed.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Gotta say A. Genic. If there was ever a T that would benefit from decaf, it’s the Genic.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
My P. metallica sling has developed a habit of bolting around the outside of it's deli cup before running behind it's hide every time I open the lid. So, I'll say that one has been the most entertaining for sure.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My Megaphobema robustum, she's out all day showing off her beautiful colors....HA!

Actually I couldn't decide so I went with a joke. My M. robustum might be a favorite if she was ever out for more than a split second.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I really like my Psalmopoeus cambridgei! The feeding response from that thing is insane, and now that (s)he’s a bit bigger, I’ve been seeing it out and about more often. Plus those colors are absolutely stunning, photos simply do not do justice to the metallic green/gold setae. I’ve also become quite attached to my GBB, he’s quite calm imo:) Plus those blues/greens are breathtaking.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Probably my Selenotypus Sp. Champagne Robustus, because she drags and flings spagnum moss through her container and will hold onto it like her life depends on it if you try to pull it away from her

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I don't know if entertaining is the right word but at the moment, i would say i am most obsessed with my M. balfouri slings. They are always the first things i check on in the room. Not because of anything entertaining they do but because i just want to see them. Even just a glimpse! But no, nothing except the occasional legs. I know they are in there, and i know they are bigger but i want to actualy see them. Next is probably my Juvenile M. balfouri because i actually get to see it and she (purchased as female) is beautiful and i like to watch her web up the enclosure. Also, she stridulated (is that a real word?) at me for the first time recently and i think that is really cool. :)

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
My G. pulchripes is so fun to watch, especially when bulldozing. She's hiding out quite a bit lately as she just molted recently but every time she pops out, it just makes it all the more exciting.

The spider in my whole spider collection that I can't stop popping in on is my Eratigena atrica. Her egg sac recently hatched and I've been throwing fruit flies in for the slings and they are already trying to catch them :happy:.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I don't know if entertaining is the right word but at the moment, i would say i am most obsessed with my M. balfouri slings. They are always the first things i check on in the room. Not because of anything entertaining they do but because i just want to see them. Even just a glimpse! But no, nothing except the occasional legs. I know they are in there, and i know they are bigger but i want to actualy see them. Next is probably my Juvenile M. balfouri because i actually get to see it and she (purchased as female) is beautiful and i like to watch her web up the enclosure. Also, she stridulated (is that a real word?) at me for the first time recently and i think that is really cool. :)
Most enchanting, then, if not most entertaining. I think it amounts to the same thing in the long run!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’d say female lp is most active, but I gotta get a pic of my other lp she put a water dish dead center into another water dish haha!!!!:drowning:
These lasiodora love moving stuff all around!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
20D319F3-4D5E-4402-8620-C3DB5A03FC86.jpeg
Water dish inside another water dish , I switched to applesauce cups wonder what he or she’s will do with those ?? When I add them .:chicken:
Left a molt to check too
Maybe just wanted a refill?:eek:

KyleR2202

Arachnopeon
I would have to say my Davus pentaloris is the most entertaining.
It's pretty active for a tarantula, usually moving, grooming, plotting or webbing.
Of course the main reason is the feeding response. It just dives onto prey and wrestles it, often ending up on its back with crickets. One of these days I should film it; definately my favourite spider to feed.
Totally!! I’ve only had my D. pent for less than a month, but the little half inch bugger is a beast of an eater. I use to think my C. cyan was a great eater, also the fact that the D. pent slings have more or less their adult colours already is pretty amazing.