What is the most saught after tarantula ?

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People desire things for many different reasons. The fact that a tarantula is rare or hard to get in the hobby plays no factor in what I desire for instance.
I desire T's that are affordable. I have no desire for an arachnid that costs $100 or more. So I seek out the bargains when I can. Paying a days pay for a "bug" just makes no sense to me. IMHO
I do understand why people would want a P. metallica for instance, they are a beautiful species.

jrmrbcax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
M. peterklaasi was mine but now i have one. Other then that maybe a female M.balfouri.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
rosies are way too common in the hobby to be any sort of coveted species. A G. rosea RCF would be a rosie that people would go out of their way to actually search for.
Agreed. You can't beat that gorgeous red color. :eek:

People desire things for many different reasons. The fact that a tarantula is rare or hard to get in the hobby plays no factor in what I desire for instance.
I desire T's that are affordable. I have no desire for an arachnid that costs $100 or more. So I seek out the bargains when I can. Paying a days pay for a "bug" just makes no sense to me. IMHO
I do understand why people would want a P. metallica for instance, they are a beautiful species.
You said it better than I could have. That post of yours sums up my views on this very well.

Poecilotheria metallica is one that would be on my "to own" list (if I had a "to own" list) but there are a few reasons I would not want this T.

And, if a T is sold as full grown... I have little to no interest in it. I am interested in slings and slings alone - I want to raise my T's myself, starting as early as possible. So I am the odd one looking through FS adds for the tiniest slings that are available. If the size is greater than an inch in LS, I typically won't buy.

Brachypelma boehmei - is one of my "most sought after" slings. I don't own one yet, but someday I will find a sling at the right size/price.

Poecilotheria regalis - I may have found a source to buy these slings from! :)

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Again, I may soon be able to buy a few of these slings as well. Yippee!

I take it back - maybe I do have a "to own" list after all, it just isn't absolutely imperative that I end up owning them soon, if ever.

Depending on who you ask, you will get drastically different answers as to what the most "saught" ( ;) ) after T is.

It is one of those things that is based entirely on personal preference.

Thankfully, there are many great species of T to choose from! :D

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I take it back - maybe I do have a "to own" list after all, it just isn't absolutely imperative that I end up owning them soon, if ever.

Depending on who you ask, you will get drastically different answers as to what the most "saught" ( ;) ) after T is.

It is one of those things that is based entirely on personal preference.

Thankfully, there are many great species of T to choose from! :D
Too Funny!!!!!!!
And, I couldn't have said it any better!

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine? I'd have to say M.peterklassi or "The Chicken Spider". :drool:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm...mine would have to be any and all Lampropelma and Psalmopoeus species I don't have. P.pulcher to be precise.

P.metallica, of course as well. :rolleyes:

Surprised I haven't heard one vote for Poecilotheria smithi.

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm after seanbonds collection. I love pet holes. Gives you an appreciation for them when you get to see em'.

I had a beautiful female h. schmidti ~6" She died of nematoeds, we beleive.
On the search for another one or two. As well as many of the other pet holes. I want em' all.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
aside from what has already been mentioned, Tapinauchenius violaceus(relatively available, it's just that it's one of the most stunning arboreals IMO)

Lovely T, that is on my list too ;)

I agree that my desire for a T has nothing to do with it's rarity or desirability with other people... I know what I like, and I want what I like! I have a thing for fluffy arboreals (T. gigas and T. violaceus, anyone?) and stocky, "clean" (not fluffy or with oddly coloured hair lol) Ts like Pterinochilus, and E. olivacea.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
THANK YOU! I had seen pictures of one of those some time back, but couldn't find them again because I couldn't remember what they were called.. then I sort of just forgot about it lol

Iridopelma Hirsutum is on my list too :)

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Teal, a few people have I. hirsutum fs, in case you were currently in the market :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, I did see them listed at a few places... but that was after I went on an insane (for me) T shopping spree (I have 12 Ts on their way here this week LOL). So next time I am feeling rich, I'm hoping there will be some around again!

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Totally understandable...I think I'm starting a bit of a binge myself, I got 6 new ones last week and I'm contemplating 2 more this week :D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good, I'm not the only one! LOL

A bunch of Ts that I REALLY wanted came up for sale at good prices... I couldn't say no! lol but hopefully this means I won't be getting anymore for awhile, because now the ones I REALLY want are hard to find, and expensive when you do see them fs (expensive, to me, is $30 haha).

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the ones I REALLY want are hard to find, and expensive when you do see them fs (expensive, to me, is $30 haha).

Same with me. I'm reluctant to splurg tons of money on one creature as delicate as a T. I get slings so I can afford to get more than one in the hopes that I get strong specimens and a chance for a female. Although currently not buying but hopefully I can make up for lost time. {D ;)

I also seek Tapinauchenius cupreus and other Taps, Ephebopus uatuman and P.subfusca "lowland." I have a big list but these are all way up there..

zac1007

Arachnopeon
I think it also depends where you are , im in south africa and i havnt even seen a costa rican tiger , someone gonna send me one :) ? The rosea is very common as it is everywhere , and OBT'S are common here too

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think it also depends where you are , im in south africa and i havnt even seen a costa rican tiger , someone gonna send me one :) ? The rosea is very common as it is everywhere , and OBT'S are common here too

Touche, sir! That is a VERY good point!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know of a link to a pic of (the mythical? :rolleyes: ) Stromatopelma satanas? None on Google that I could find.

I'm really excited to have a couple of Borneo Blacks. At about 2.5 inches now, one is obviously male -- but still a very handsome T! The legs constantly hanging over the rim of the other's burrow still appear black with (could be wishful imagination) a vague suggestion of bluish tint to the fur under a strong LED light -- so here's hoping!

Such a shame that, in sort of a dimorphism reversal, it's only the males of M.balfouri which are so beautiful. Otherwise it might have been time for a second mortgage!

BTW, I've been curious what it is about some sp. such as Borneo Blacks which makes them so difficult to breed successfully?

Thanks.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know of a link to a pic of (the mythical? :rolleyes: ) Stromatopelma satanas? None on Google that I could find.
I can't imagine there would be any pics SUPPOSIDLY it hasn't even been seen since it was described in 1917. I also had tried looking for a pic. LOL.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm not sure what the original poster means by 'most sought after'.

It could mean most 'coveted' or 'prized' tarantula, as in most rarely attractive or expensive or most often purchased for the opposite, common desirable reasons like price, looks and temperments, etc. ?

This is a good point. Even the difference between more common stock in Canada vs the U.S. are noticable. I look at the common pricelists on this board (U.S. prices) and compare them with what I see in Canada and what's more coveted and costs more there is often not the case here and vice versa.

Like the Costa Rican Tiger Rump (C. fasciatum). Even though they're not overly rare, I think they're more common in the U.S. than here in Canada. You don't see them in petshops where I am locally. I'm waiting to get mine next week actually. It's mine, all mine...I'm not sending it to anyone else unfortunately. :p

Last edited: