What do you think?

MrsT

Arachnopeon
I was taking some pics of my G. Rosea and noticed shes getting that bald patch before molt, I think she maybe getting ready for her first molt while with me, I hope so. I have had her now for quite a while and been looking forward to her molting.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It should be noted that although your spider does look ready for a molt due to the black skin, the bald patch is not in any way connected.
The bald spot is a result of urticating hairs, when enough have been kicked it allows us a window into guessing when the spider may molt because of skin color changes.

However, if this species is OW (no urticating hairs) or no tprone to hair kicking we much rely on the less obvious clues such as going off food, sealing itself in a hide, hanging out near the water supply, and becoming less responsive.

MrsT

Arachnopeon
She has never kicked urticating hairs at me, she is a very calm T and handable, she is hiding under her log more and not eaten for about 2 weeks, maybe a bit longer, so I figured she maybe ready to molt.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She looks ready to me, but G.rosea can be really slow to molt. I have one that went almost 3 years without molting as an adult. She gave very few clues about being ready to molt, since she had refused food for the previous 2 years. G.rosea has a dark abdomen anyway, so it's not going to change much in appearance.

That's a big, fat, healthy individual you have there. Nice.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sheri said:
It should be noted that although your spider does look ready for a molt due to the black skin, the bald patch is not in any way connected.
The bald spot is a result of urticating hairs, when enough have been kicked it allows us a window into guessing when the spider may molt because of skin color changes..

Sheri
Where did you get this information from. I was under the impresion that with new world Tarantulas the urticating hair fell out Pre moult thus showing a bald patch and it was indicative of coming up to a moult.

MrsT

Arachnopeon
brachymad said:
Sheri
Where did you get this information from. I was under the impresion that with new world Tarantulas the urticating hair fell out Pre moult thus showing a bald patch and it was indicative of coming up to a moult.
Thats what I have read too, can't remember where, but it was a piece on premolt.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
urticating hairs

MrsT said:
She has never kicked urticating hairs at me, she is a very calm T and handable, she is hiding under her log more and not eaten for about 2 weeks, maybe a bit longer, so I figured she maybe ready to molt.

None of ours kick hairs either (all 4 of them). The hairs do fall out as an impending molt approaches. The skin on the abdomen darkens also. Rosies are slow to molt. All you can do now is wait on her. Ours always build a molt mat but I've heard some do not. :)
PS She looks like a sweetie. :D

MrsT

Arachnopeon
OOOooooo I cant wait for her to molt, it will be so exciting for me, she is the very first T I got so she's kinda special, hasnt had a molt yet since I got her, i'm going to be keeping a close eye on her, hope she doesnt do it in the night.

Oh and thanx for the compliments guys, I think she's really beautiful :p

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A bald abdomen in itself is not indicative of an upcoming molt. When the abdomen is bald, it's just easier to see the skin turn dark, which does indicate an upcoming molt.

Ts that are closer to molting, especially adults, usually develop a bald patch because they've had that hair for probably around a year and have here and there kicked some off. It won't regrow until they molt.

If you have a bald patch and it is not dark, then the T is probably not in pre-molt and is most likely feeding and acting as normal as a T can be.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To me it looks like its kicked a little well i say kicked but dont forget sometimes they will take some out and deposite them arround there den iver that or its kicked when your not looking , as for darkening thats a sure sign of a molt

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These photos of mine were taken just a few weeks apart, and you can see the change in color. It was about a week after the second pic when she molted.

BTW - I know the substrate was not a wise decision. This was my first T, and I changed to peat moss / vermaculite after giving the T time to rest up from the molt.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
brachymad said:
Sheri
WRONG
a bald patch is not indicitive of anything but a tarantula kicking off hairs. A bald BLACK or very dark patch is indicitive of a tarantula, that kicked off hairs, and is going to molt soon.
It's the color, not the lack of hair, that indicates a molt.
Information comes from 'The Tarantula Keeper's Guide'. I suggest that everyone on the boards get a copy and read it front to back.
I have a B boehmei with a bald as a baby's butt abdomen, a very fleshy color. No molt anywhere in her near future. What is nice though, is that once she does molt, she won't be bald anymore (till she kicks them all off again!)

Pokie1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its the color

It is, in fact, color and behavior that are indicators of premolt. I just went through this with this species. She refused food for 2 months. Then, she started webbing up her log and staying in it for days at a time. The last time she came out, her setae appeared much lighter in contrast to her darkening body. She went from tan to almost black. Finally, she started building a web/mat between her pool and her rock. By 3pm the next day she was on her back. But the molt took all day. She is much lighter and brighter (not to mention bigger) now. If you see these signs, you have a good clue that it is coming.

BTW, a bald spot on the dorsal side of the opisthosoma is indicative of the spider kicking hairs (in reponse to perceived threats). You will often see this in a T that is "high strung" especially when there are environmental changes. I once saw a T go "bald" over a stinking super worm in it's enclosure.

During intermolt, these patches will appear fleshy colored. When they enter premolt, the patch will darken significantly. So the bald patch can tell you something about the spider's molt; but it is not the setae or lack thereof but rather what the missing setae reveal underneath that give you those clues.

Good luck and enjoy the show. It is fascinating.

Pokie1

Last edited:

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
WRONG
a bald patch is not indicitive of anything but a tarantula kicking off hairs. A bald BLACK or very dark patch is indicitive of a tarantula, that kicked off hairs, and is going to molt soon.
It's the color, not the lack of hair, that indicates a molt.
Information comes from 'The Tarantula Keeper's Guide'. I suggest that everyone on the boards get a copy and read it front to back.
I have a B boehmei with a bald as a baby's butt abdomen, a very fleshy color. No molt anywhere in her near future. What is nice though, is that once she does molt, she won't be bald anymore (till she kicks them all off again!)
The thing is you see is I do have the Tarantula keepers guide and in there it says "Those New World Tarantulas that shed their urticating bristles frequently develop a bald patch on the rear , dorsal surface of their opisthosoma. The color of this bald area is an important harbinger of an impending moult." (The Tarantula Keepers guide P24).
It neglects to say that the Tarantula kicked off this hair to produce the bald patch. Unless I have a different copy.
Also in the book The Proper Care of Tarantulas (isbn 0-86622-446-7) on page 74 Quote " Often the loss of hairs on the abdomen indicates an approaching moult"
I agree that the colour of the skin is a main indicator. What I was questioning is that the bald area is totaly unrelated to a moult. A source for that information ??

Last edited:

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brachymad said:
The thing is you see is I do have the Tarantula keepers guide and in there it says "Those New World Tarantulsa that shed their urticating bristles frequently develop a bald patch on the rear , dorsal surface of their opisthosoma. The color of this bald area is an important harbinger of an impending moult." (The Tarantula Keepers guide P24).
It neglects to say that the Tarantula kicked off this hair to produce the bald patch. Unless I have a different copy.
Also in the book The Proper Care of Tarantulas (isbn 0-86622-446-7) on page 74 Quote " Often the loss of hairs on the abdomen indicates an approaching moult"
I agree that the colour of the skin is a main indicator. What I was questioning is that the bald area is totaly unrelated to a moult. A source for that information ??
Holley is still right.

The Proper Care of Tarantulas is completely wrong. Only New world tarantulas have urticating bald patches. So, if the statement were true, why don't New World Ts get the bald patches before molting? See my point?

A good way to tell a Old World T is going to molt are the "hairless" joints on the bottom of thier legs. The will be very grey or even black, that's how I usually tell and it's worked so far.

Also, there ARE some New World Ts that won't kick hairs thus not revealing a blad spot, which means you would have to use the method of predicting a molt as you would with a New World T. This is possible, but usually not the case.

The Tarantula's Keeper Guide is exactly right in it's wording. Also remember depending on the species of spider, they WILL stop eating before getting ready to molt, but it could be day(s), week(s), or even month(s).

Here are some pics to help ya out.

Sub-Adult Female B. smithi VERY close to molting. Notice the shiny black "skin".

Adult Female P. sp. "platyomma" VERY close to molting, Molted two days after I took this photo.

Adult Female A. metallica that is NOT in pre-molt. Notice how light colored the "skin" is still under the urticating hairs.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
brachymad said:
The thing is you see is I do have the Tarantula keepers guide and in there it says "Those New World Tarantulas that shed their urticating bristles frequently develop a bald patch on the rear , dorsal surface of their opisthosoma. The color of this bald area is an important harbinger of an impending moult." (The Tarantula Keepers guide P24).

P24 says that the color of the bald area is an important indication, NOT that fact that the bald spot exists. The hairs are urticating, a defense mechanism, merely a window and NOT related to when the spider is going to molt.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Holley is still right.

The Proper Care of Tarantulas is completely wrong.

If you say so

Only New world tarantulas have urticating bald patches. So, if the statement were true, why don't New World Ts get the bald patches before molting? See my point?

Erm no i dont see your point it is new world T's we are discussing

A good way to tell a Old World T is going to molt are the "hairless" joints on the bottom of thier legs. The will be very grey or even black, that's how I usually tell and it's worked so far.

Havnt seen that

Also, there ARE some New World Ts that won't kick hairs thus not revealing a blad spot, which means you would have to use the method of predicting a molt as you would with a New World T. This is possible, but usually not the case.

I think you are mixing new and old world here.

The Tarantula's Keeper Guide is exactly right in it's wording.

I quoted its wording exactly

I wont quoe the the rest of your post as I have seen quite a few new world Tarantulas .

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sheri said:
P24 says that the color of the bald area is an important indication, NOT that fact that the bald spot exists. The hairs are urticating, a defense mechanism, merely a window and NOT related to when the spider is going to molt.
The thing is I cannot find where in any text appart from your post of course that says that the bald area is not in any way related. I find it dificult to belive that the Tarantula would kick all the hair off in a defencive way . i can however belive that the tarantula sheds this hair as part of a natural cycle . The Tarantula keepers guide actualy uses the word sheds.

Also is there any reason to use capital NOT it is calssed as shouting and not polite at all.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brachymad said:
Spider-man 2 said:
Holley is still right.

The Proper Care of Tarantulas is completely wrong.

If you say so

Only New world tarantulas have urticating bald patches. So, if the statement were true, why don't New World Ts get the bald patches before molting? See my point?

Erm no i dont see your point it is new world T's we are discussing

Havnt seen that

I think you are mixing new and old world here.

The Tarantula's Keeper Guide is exactly right in it's wording.

I quoted its wording exactly

I wont quoe the the rest of your post as I have seen quite a few new world Tarantulas .
Uggg, whatever. I tried to help you and you just don't get it. Maybe if you did some research or used the search function, you might get your questions answered. New and Old World Tarantulas ARE related and relevant to the thread. I guess this is what I get for helping. Next time don't ask questions if you don't like all the answers.

Now back to WoW....

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
brachymad said:
The thing is I cannot find where in any text appart from your post of course that says that the bald area is not in any way related. I find it dificult to belive that the Tarantula would kick all the hair off in a defencive way . i can however belive that the tarantula sheds this hair as part of a natural cycle . The Tarantula keepers guide actualy uses the word sheds.
The new world tarantulas that got urticating hair on the abdomen kicks them off as a defense and when doing so mulitipel times a bald spot occur. This spot is light in color but since the tarantul wont grow the hairs back the spot remains visible until the tarantula molts next time. And just before a molt this light spot changes color and darkens until its completely black.

/Lelle