What do you name them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Straut

Arachnopeon
I think its amazing that you can catch crap on this website just for *considering* naming a T. If you don't have the time or interest to name your T's more power to you. Don't tell people who do that they are wasting their time and should be spending it elsewhere. As if a name is going to take precedence over husbandry and care in the eyes of a new owner.
My Albo is unnnamed, unsexed, my LP is Donna (From Parks and Rec) and my Avic Avic is Arwen (Lord of the Rings)

matypants

Arachnopeon
Not giving silly names to deaf pets doesn't mean a person has no imagination or creativity, just that they prefer to use it in other ways, like designing cage layouts, or in artistic fields. One could argue that it takes infinitely more imagination to make a painting or create music than it does to make up spider names.
That insinuation was never there. Act like it was and argue about it if you want to. Yeah, I know it takes more imagination. I will agree. I draw, paint and dabble in playing the guitar. I like making cage layouts, and still manage to come up with silly names for my deaf pets because I like to. And because I can. Boring is as boring does.

matypants

Arachnopeon
I think its amazing that you can catch crap on this website just for *considering* naming a T. If you don't have the time or interest to name your T's more power to you. Don't tell people who do that they are wasting their time and should be spending it elsewhere. As if a name is going to take precedence over husbandry and care in the eyes of a new owner.
My Albo is unnnamed, unsexed, my LP is Donna (From Parks and Rec) and my Avic Avic is Arwen (Lord of the Rings)
November Sierra. I mean really. What garbage.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Ah come on Dad let the kids have their fun....

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

I wouldn't quite call it crap. We've had many pointless 'What should I name my spider' threads, seems like the majority are by people that don't know much about husbandry, breeding, or taxonomy. Maybe naming is the priority.

BTW, I've been doing this a lot longer than you have, helped many more people than you have; is it really up to you to tell me what I'm allowed to say to people here?

matypants

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't quite call it crap. We've had many pointless 'What should I name my spider' threads, seems like the majority are by people that don't know much about husbandry, breeding, or taxonomy. Maybe naming is the priority.

BTW, I've been doing this a lot longer than you have, helped many more people than you have; is it really up to you to tell me what I'm allowed to say to people here?
Except this isn't another 'What *should* I name my spider' thread. This is a 'What *do* you name them?' thread. Lol. Ok. We get it. You find it indicative that those who name them don't care as much as you do about husbandry, breeding or taxonomy based on past postings from other people. Granted you haven't straight up said so, but your attitude hints at that strongly. And ok, we get it. You've been around a long time in the hobby and have contributed your own time etc etc.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, there's nothing wrong to give a name to one of our Theraphosidae. I mean, i love my T's, just the same way i love my other animals. They are just different. Not all of my T's are entitled to have a name. Not even my 0.1 P.muticus :p

When i saw (yes, when?) my Hysterocrates gigas i love to say: "Oh, Hystero!" lol

Best name IMO i had was 'Tonton Macoute' to a previous lovely totally old witch high strung P.cancerides i had :) still remember her class attitude. Those were no jokes, just like she was. Good times.

With that said, i continue to discuss about those using only, and only always, scientific names. I even hate, except for few exceptions like "GBB" or "OBT", common names, a disgrace for the hobby.

Names are a personal thing u_u

Brendan Straut

Arachnopeon
Congratulations Poec54 for pointing out that you know more and have more experience than anyone else. The problem is, I wasn't disputing that. I am just saying don't be so condescending, which you constantly are. You do have more knowledge and experience and have helped more people than me, a lot more.

Brendan Straut

Arachnopeon
Also, if you're so concerned about your time, maybe you shouldn't be in the "Tarantula Chat" forum telling other people that their forum is a waste of time.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
How about this ? If you want to name them then name them if you don't then don't . Now isn't that simple . If you are into the scientific end of T husbandry then good , if you are into the fuzzy little pet end then also good . I don't think either side is right or wrong , just that you should respect the views of those who differ from your opinion .

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Also, if you're so concerned about your time, maybe you shouldn't be in the "Tarantula Chat" forum telling other people that their forum is a waste of time.

Whee! I remember the last time we had a discussion in the definition of "Tarantula Chat"! Fastest growing thread I ever witnessed, I think. Posts were removed.Heels were dug in. I got peeved. Mods stepped in! Experts committed hari-kari! Good times, good times! :D ;)

Looking back, it reminds me of the funny line in "Dr. Stangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Congratulations Poec54 for pointing out that you know more and have more experience than anyone else. The problem is, I wasn't disputing that. I am just saying don't be so condescending, which you constantly are. You do have more knowledge and experience and have helped more people than me, a lot more.

Never said I know the most, there's a lot of people that know much more than I do. But almost all of them have stopped coming here. Those are the guys we all can learn from. It would be nice that when they do make a visit, we'd have more to offer them than threads on naming spiders, spider tattoos, my rose hair won't eat, etc. I'd love to get some of those guys back. There used to be big collectors, breeders, & taxonomists from all over the world gathering here for regular discussions. Cutting edge stuff. That's what we need again.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Perfect, name them what you want at home, and let's not tie up the forum with the naming threads.

Tarantula Chat
This forum is for anything about tarantulas that is not "scientific" in nature. This forum will be periodically purged. Formerly known as Tarantula Announcements

That's the purpose of this forum . Non-scientific tarantula chat .

Brendan Straut

Arachnopeon
Never said I know the most, there's a lot of people that know much more than I do. But almost all of them have stopped coming here. Those are the guys we all can learn from. It would be nice that when they do make a visit, we'd have more to offer them than threads on naming spiders, spider tattoos, my rose hair won't eat, etc. I'd love to get some of those guys back. There used to be big collectors, breeders, & taxonomists from all over the world gathering here for regular discussions. Cutting edge stuff. That's what we need again.
I agree. I think that as important to the longevity of the hobby, however, as the veterans are the noobies such as myself. With no one to learn from the more experienced, that knowledge is wasted. I've found that a lot of the arachnokings and arachnoemperors are less welcoming than they could be. I can't think of a better way to exclude people from the hobby than by discouraging them when they ask questions or post threads

Brendan Straut

Arachnopeon

Tarantula Chat
This forum is for anything about tarantulas that is not "scientific" in nature. This forum will be periodically purged. Formerly known as Tarantula Announcements

That's the purpose of this forum . Non-scientific tarantula chat .
Also the "periodically purged" part makes it impossible for any thread to "tie up" the forums

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As i've said there's nothing wrong to give a name to one (or all) of our Theraphosidae. The important thing IMO is to stick, when discussing, to scientific names, always.

The problem isn't a Theraphosidae named like/after a movie/videogame/comics or what else character lol.

The problem is to read something like "Chile Flame Striped Purple Tiger" and pretending that others correctly Sherlock ID the Theraphosidae in question ;)

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I remember the last time we had a discussion in the definition of "Tarantula Chat"! Fastest growing thread I ever witnessed, I think. Posts were removed. Heels were dug in. I got peeved. Mods stepped in!

I remember that well, and an administrator stepped in and made it very clear that this part of the forum was not for all the silliness that was going on at the time. Some members had assumed this was an 'anything goes' site, and that actual talk of keeping and breeding tarantulas was an incidental topic for when they ran out of other things to talk about. I'd like to think that we can maintain some standards and may once again attract some of the hobby's most knowledgeable people. I play an active part on this forum these days; I'm filling a void because so many of the people who I learned from have gone. Look at the top 20 contributors here, and how many have you seen posting in the past year? Who's replaced them?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks for proving my point cold blood (arachnoking)
Without debating with you, i have noticed that sometimes there's always the need to add the "title" into discussions.

Jesus Christ, this isn't the WWF Royal Rumble of late '80 :)

There's "Arachnopeon/s" here that are good breeders & skilled as well, on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.