What do you name them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
Some people don't name pets unless they're fluffy but I name them all.My Grammastola Pulchripes are Veronica and Belial, my Asian Forest scorpion is Barbie (or Barbera) (even after I sexed that it was a male and not a female a few months ago); My P. cambridgei is Pumkinhead and Muspel for my P. Muticus. I don't know about the Avic pink toe yet, it reminds me of a tiny little kitten.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I don't name mine because it would be too hard to remember them all. Also the fact that they aren't really pets. Naming your tarantulas is like naming fish in a fish tank.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The names to learn are the scientific names, so you can talk to knowledgeable people about your spiders, not cute nicknames.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I don't do things that don't benefit the T. It doesn't care if it has a name or not so nor do I. Only thing I do is give them numbers if I have multiple of the same species to keep track of molts etc..

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I name mine but I can imagine it would become difficult once a collection gets very large. My B. smithi is Ventress, my A. versicolor is Harley Quinn and my C. cyaneopubescens is Pants (don't know the sex yet...so Pants it is).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I name mine but I can imagine it would become difficult once a collection gets very large.

Names fall by the wayside as a collection grows. There are those that would think it's foolish to start in the first place. The time spent coming up with clever names is better spent learning about the animals themselves. How many members know the countries and climates their spiders are from and which subfamilies they're in?

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
A,B,C, easy as 1,2,3, or maybe Do-Re-Mi... ;)

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I don't name mine because it would be too hard to remember them all. Also the fact that they aren't really pets. Naming your tarantulas is like naming fish in a fish tank.
Are you crazy? They're totally pets!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I name my tarantulas to keep track of them. It gets boring just numbering them, and when I have a guest over it's better to say "oh yeah, that's my Psalmopoeus irminia 'oscar'" than it is to say "oh yeah, that's my Psalmopoeus irminia #4" I don't have many T's at the moment, but I keep track of names (and feeding, and molting) in an Excel spread sheet. I see nothing wrong with naming them. If you don't want to you don't have to, but it's not bad if people do.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I name my tarantulas to keep track of them. It gets boring just numbering them, and when I have a guest over it's better to say "oh yeah, that's my Psalmopoeus irminia 'oscar'" than it is to say "oh yeah, that's my Psalmopoeus irminia #4" I don't have many T's at the moment, but I keep track of names (and feeding, and molting) in an Excel spread sheet. I see nothing wrong with naming them. If you don't want to you don't have to, but it's not bad if people do.
I don't think anybody sees naming your Ts as bad. It is just something that is unnecessary and therefore a matter of opinion. Using the word "pet" might also be different for people but to me a pet is something I can pet like a cat, a dog, a bunny or whatever else people keep as pets. Ts aren't pets to me. They are wild animals that live under my care. My opinion is that if you call them pets new keepers might be under the impression that they are the same as their guinea pig so it is ok to take them out and pet them whenever you feel like it. I pefer to think of them more like fish.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah agree, it`s not like a cute puppy or a cat
<3 I have a rescued and fat 0.1 Brachypelma vagans and i named her "Dr. Cooleridge" and i love that nonsense name so much, looool, she's an hairy crazy (try to steal her water dish) old Theraphosidae puppet/puppy/eight legged/family/friend :)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My 0.1 Ephebopus murinus name is "Ossicino", in Italian means "Little bone" lol
My 0.1 M.robustum is named "Djanice"
My 0.1 C.marshalli is named "Boudicca"
My 0.1 P.cambridgei is named "Poldo" (Italian name for Wimpy, from Popeye, in English)

The rest are unnamed :-/ so far but i definitely love to give my T's names.

Best was "Tonton Macoute" to a very angry, easy to piss off, P.cancerides i had time ago, damn i miss her :(

GG80

Arachnoknight
The only one of mine that technically has a name is my first, a female G. porteri. I didn't name her, but my friends decided they were going to call her"Tina". I don't bother with names as I would prefer anyone who shows an interest in my tarantulas to get off on the right foot and refer to them by their scientific names. All my enclosures have the full scientific name on them, eg. "Lasiodora parahybana", rather than "L. parahybana" or "Lp".
I don't see any problems with people taking the time to name their ts though. Each to their own and all that, it's just not for me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, why of course i stick to scientific names always (i hate common names save for few, like 'OBT' etc) there's nothing wrong IMO to name T's... IMO they are family, just like my other animals. Different, of course, but still... family for me:p

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
the only inverts in my collection that have names are the ones that have a lot of personality.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah naming certainly isn't necessary, but its not a bad thing. Not like it takes that long. To me it just feels sorta cold or impersonal to not name them. I know they aren't people or mammalian pets and don't really have "personalities" per se but they're still under my care so I'd prefer them to each have unique names as they are each unique spiders. But that's just me and just my personal opinion.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
About half of mine have names. But as the collection grows and you start rotating out your collection via sales, trades, loans ect naming becomes less important.
As of right now I only name my adults or subadults that I have no intention of rotating out because I either have a mate for them or plan on acquiring a mate.

Mostly I'm lazy and name them something according to their scientific name.

B. Smithi =scarlet (close to sharlet, and Mexican RED knee)
A. Brocklehursti = Brock
Obt = Oscar (the grouch)
A. Avic = Vicky

Ect ect ect

Xinmone

Arachnopeon
I only have a few Ts, but I've found that if I talk about them by nickname instead of scientifically the arachnophobes among my family and friends feel less apprehensive about the fact I have a bunch of spiders in my apartment. I think the idea that giving your T a nickname makes it seem more "friendly" or anything is nonsense. People tend to name all sorts of strange things in their lives anyways, why should Ts be any different? A friend of mine's named her toaster, why shouldn't I name my Ts.

Status
Not open for further replies.