What Are Your Must-Have Tarantulas?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
T stirmi
LP
Rosehairs

I like them all, but those are the ones I would keep if I had to pick. The T stirmi would be my sole tarantula if i could only have one.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What are all the tarantula species you want to own someday, even if you don't have the money/experience/space right now (or are currently looking for some but can't find any)?
I wish I had more space, especially for arboreals and fossorials.

This is my current wishlist (species I don't already own) of tarantulas I feel experienced enough to keep.

New World
  • Aphonopelma chalcodes
  • Aphonopelma seemanni
  • Avicularia metallica
  • Brachypelma albopilosum
  • Brachypelma emilia
  • Bumba cabocla
  • Caribena versicolor
  • Cyriocosmus
  • Davus pentaloris
  • Ephebopus murinus
  • Euathlus sp. "red"
  • Grammostola iheringi
  • Hapalopus sp. "Colombia"
  • Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra
  • Nhandu chromatus
  • Nhandu tripepii
  • Pamphobeteus antinous
  • Phormictopus
  • Pterinopelma sazimai
  • Thrixopelma cyaneolum

Old World
  • Augacephalus ezendami
  • Eucratoscelus pachypus
  • Idiothele mira
  • Monocentropus balfouri
  • Pelinobius muticus

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Well, I now have the N. incei, C. marshalli, and H. villosella, so there's three off my list. But now there's a few more to add:

Aphonopelma paloma and/or Aphonopelma marxi
Eucratoscelus pachypus
Avicularia minatrix
Nhandu tripepii
Phlogellius baeri
Ami sp. Panama
Heterothele gabonensis
Thrixopelma ockerti
Thrixopelma cyaneolum

As you can probably guess, I'm obsessed with dwarf and smaller T species right now :p.
I got the N. tripepii, N. incei "gold", C. darlingi, and an Ami sp. "Colombia" (not sp. "Panama" but close enough) and a freebie Cyriocosmus aueri. The Cyriocosmus may not have been on my list, but it would have been if I knew about it before I got it as a freebie.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I got the N. tripepii, N. incei "gold", C. darlingi, and an Ami sp. "Colombia" (not sp. "Panama" but close enough) and a freebie Cyriocosmus aueri. The Cyriocosmus may not have been on my list, but it would have been if I knew about it before I got it as a freebie.
You still have yet to get an E. pachypus (just throwing this in there: or E. Sp: red) you are missing out on the greatness of the two Sp. mentioned.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Still wanting:

H. pulchripes
B. albiceps
P. tigrinawesseli
T. seladonia (probably not going to ever happen)
a couple more P. cancerides, my little guy is my favorite by far so I probably need more of them

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
You still have yet to get an E. pachypus (just throwing this in there: or E. Sp: red) you are missing out on the greatness of the two Sp. mentioned.
Haha, don't worry, they're both on my list. I'm currently trying to slow down on tarantula-buying though. My bank account just can't take it. Plus I'm running out of room.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Haha, don't worry, they're both on my list. I'm currently trying to slow down on tarantula-buying though. My bank account just can't take it. Plus I'm running out of room.
The urge always wins. All you can do is give in to the urge.

(Am I being a bad influence yet??)

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
The urge always wins. All you can do is give in to the urge.

(Am I being a bad influence yet??)
Don't worry, you've been a bad influence on me since pretty much the day I joined Arachnoboards.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
My wish list is
Caribena vercicolor
Davus pentaloris
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus cambridgei

But not for long..... I'm moving them from wishlist to own this weekend!!!!!!!!

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! I really would like to know the reason why you think they are the " MUST HAVE " for my small experience and from what I see thru youtube I got at the moment

GBB reason are the colours, tons of web they makes and the fact they are great eaters
Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi because is a fast grower,dwarf species and nice colour from really small size
Avicularia Purpurea SP Colombia.. that was a mistake due my noobiest :D I tought all " Pink toe " had that characteristic pink toe but not this one
A. braunshauseni because grow big, got pink toe characteristic, nice web Tunnel,really colourfull and is Arboreal so no terrestrial ( I always loved the fact that spider can climb ) :D

Brachypelma Hamorii because I heard is great " display " tarantula and one of the most docile in the world... nice colour as well..
As novel all of those are for beginner...
In my wish list there is a Caribena Versicolor due of the fluffyness and colour.

About Poecilotheria for example, reason why everyone are getting those are about the colour, size and the fact they got some of the strongest venom? Is that correct? curious to know why you guys prefer some species rather than others... what's make you say one instead of other..

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Hi guys! I really would like to know the reason why you think they are the " MUST HAVE " for my small experience and from what I see thru youtube I got at the moment

GBB reason are the colours, tons of web they makes and the fact they are great eaters
Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi because is a fast grower,dwarf species and nice colour from really small size
Avicularia Purpurea SP Colombia.. that was a mistake due my noobiest :D I tought all " Pink toe " had that characteristic pink toe but not this one
A. braunshauseni because grow big, got pink toe characteristic, nice web Tunnel,really colourfull and is Arboreal so no terrestrial ( I always loved the fact that spider can climb ) :D

Brachypelma Hamorii because I heard is great " display " tarantula and one of the most docile in the world... nice colour as well..
As novel all of those are for beginner...
In my wish list there is a Caribena Versicolor due of the fluffyness and colour.

About Poecilotheria for example, reason why everyone are getting those are about the colour, size and the fact they got some of the strongest venom? Is that correct? curious to know why you guys prefer some species rather than others... what's make you say one instead of other..
Well, I like dwarf species like Cyriocosmus because I think their small size makes them adorable and they often have interesting coloration or unique characteristics. The nice thing about dwarf species is you can have more adults that take up less space. I just really like dwarves tbh.

I like Brachypelmas and Aphonopelmas because they're kind of my native tarantulas and they have long lifespans.

I like Tapinauchenius because they are fluffy-looking arboreals that move like someone just gave them a shot of caffeine. They're often pretty colorful too.

I like Pokies because I find their patterns and body shape to be just enchanting. I like the big feet.

I love heavy webbing, so I like Chilobrachys and GBBs have a great appetite.

I like how M. robustum has a unique threat posture and I like E. pachypus because of its comically oversized back legs.

A lot of times what I look for in choosing new tarantulas is color, pattern, webbing level, and feed response. Temperment tends to be secondary for me, but I've found I kind of like the defensive species' attitudes more than the pet rocks. I'm not looking to hold them, so an angry spider is no issue. I like good eaters a lot, so an otherwise unimpressive species can win a place in my heart easily if they have a strong feed response.

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon
Thats a nice list although I did the whole selling kidneys for the new Pamphobeteus species for a good few years so I personally wouldnt bother with P.solaris but thats just me lol..
I've been trying to find information on the Phormingochilus species (temperament, husbandry, etc.) but I can't seem to get anywhere. Any advice? thanks

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
N. Chromatus
P. Metallica
P. Regalis
P. Irminia
H. Maculata
S. Calceatum
C. Fimbriatus
G. Pulchra
G. Pulchripes
B. Albiceps
C. Cyanopubescens
P. Murines ( Spelled wrong, OBT )

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Once I get my new babies out of their sling stage, we really want a little E. Sp. Red. They are the cutest things besides the fuzzy B. Albo I have ever seen!

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon
If I had to choose only 5 species I could keep for the rest of my life:

1:poecilotheria Subfusca Lowland

2: Harpactira Pulchripes

3. Psalmopoeus Cambridgei

4: Theraposa Stirmi

5. Pterinochilus Murinus

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
If I had to choose only 5 species I could keep for the rest of my life:

1:poecilotheria Subfusca Lowland

2: Harpactira Pulchripes

3. Psalmopoeus Cambridgei

4: Theraposa Stirmi

5. Pterinochilus Murinus

Don't capitalize the species name. Only the genus.