Urgent: fallen and burst abdomen

Crippled

Arachnopeon
Yesterday, my B smithi adult male fell and its abdomen burst open badly. Now it is active and is walking around, but the paper towel underneath it has red spots and damp spots, so it is still leaking. I know it is doomed, esp when nothing is done, how can I stop the bleeding? I've put a bit of toiletpaper on the wound.
many thanks!! :(

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do a search. I've heard of superglue and all kinds of things being used.

--the nature boy

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Freezer, most likely. Sorry.
No that is not what needs to happen.

If he is still being active that is a good sign. I use liquid band aid myself and it works great. One pass with the applicator and it seals the wounds and dries fast. That is what I used when I did my rufilata surgery.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

If he is still being active that is a good sign. I use liquid band aid myself and it works great. One pass with the applicator and it seals the wounds and dries fast. That is what I used when I did my rufilata surgery.
That surgery was the most awesome thing I have ever seen, it was amazing....rob

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

i've used the liquid bandage myself on one of my t's before when it had a crushed leg

Flour works too. i just use a cotton swab to apply to the T.
i used a quite a few dabs of flour when i performed my G inermis surgery.

just glad it's not a haplo or an OBT that you are trying to bandage!

--dan--

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since it relates directly to the topic at hand, were there pictures or a video of the surgeries? If so what are the keywords to search for.

Hasn't happened to me yet (hopefully never), but I am of the philosophy that gathering too much information on a topic is never wasted time.

Thank you in advance.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm. Now I feel like a cynical jerk for saying just let him go to the little burrow in the sky.

Yes, ahem, put some liquid band aid on there. There's still hope!

Crippled

Arachnopeon
I put a thick patch of cornstarch on the tear, that will stop the bleeding. The spider is badly stressed now :( I give it rest now and wait a night.
It happend after a mating attempt, he freaked out and escaped. Also last molt happend upright, so the ends are a bit deformed (like mine, hence my name :p ) and couldnt find grip.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since it relates directly to the topic at hand, were there pictures or a video of the surgeries?
i have no pics or vids. :(

when i performed the surgery on my G inermis, i DID take pics. it wasn't too long before the surgery that my computer crashed, so i had the pics on my cam, butt my lazy but never got around to uploading them onto someone else's computer and i believe they got deleted off the cam by a friend later on

the inermis did live for a some number of weeks afterwards. one day i found her dead in her hide, death curl. i believe that she has scraped the wound back over the water bowl or one of the fake plants in her hide and ripped it back open (because i, like an idiot, left those objects in her tank).

i'm not sure what event happened to rupture the wounds again, as i was at college and came home to my favorite T, dead as could be.

she was a huge girl, massive girth, legs looked as thick as my pinky finger. a good 6.5" *before* the molt. she lived a good, long life in the end.

--dan--

link to more specific details:
http://tarantulas.us/forums/showthread.php?t=6059&highlight=surgery

Last edited:

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Which worked best, the flour or the liquid bandage?

The liquid bandage would seem to be a better choice, but does it affect the next molt? Also does it affect movement?

Also there is a new product on the market. It is some sort of iron preparation called QR blood stopper. I have used it as a nurse to stop bleeding on a patient on coumadin or someone with a bloody nose and high blood pressure, but I don't know if it would work on spiders. I assume it reacts with the protein in the blood to form a scab. There is a reaction with this though, it does get warm.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Liquid band aid is really fast drying that is why I like it.
I never have to make more then one pass with the applicator to stop the bleeding. (bigger wounds you might have to)
Flour does work though.

but does it affect the next molt?
Not that I have seen. They seem to molt just fine.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Which worked best, the flour or the liquid bandage?

The liquid bandage would seem to be a better choice, but does it affect the next molt? Also does it affect movement?
liquid bandage is indeed superior; however, my particular situation needed a quick response, so i used what i had available right then and there, which was flour.

you have to be careful when using the liquid bandage, as you don't want to accidentally get any in an area on T that might inhibit crucial movement. Flour comes right off, though usually it's a pain in the butt to deal with, as it goes EVERYWHERE. and sometimes you might spill a little on the T if you are butterfingers like i usually am {D

--dan--

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good point Bliss. Avoid getting it on the book lungs, anus, or mouth parts.

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found this on the Biolife site. It is from an article written by Newsday about the QR bloodstopper powder. Just thought I'd throw this in just in case any are interested.

*Disclaimer* I don't work for this company, I have only used the product on humans. I know very little about T's and am trying to learn. I have no idea what this stuff would do to a T.

"Users open a blister pack and load a swab with the brown powder -- a blend of hydrophilic polymer, a water-absorbing resin used for food processing and water purification, and potassium salt, a binding agent. If the wall between the nostrils is covered with QR, a protective scab more flexible than a natural one forms. The faux scab is a Hematrix, the trademarked name for the unique barrier, a "web that forms on top of the blood," according to Doris E. Goodman, vice president of marketing for producer Biolife LLC of Sarasota, Fla.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found this on the Biolife site. It is from an article written by Newsday about the QR bloodstopper powder. Just thought I'd throw this in just in case any are interested.

*Disclaimer* I don't work for this company, I have only used the product on humans. I know very little about T's and am trying to learn. I have no idea what this stuff would do to a T.

"Users open a blister pack and load a swab with the brown powder -- a blend of hydrophilic polymer, a water-absorbing resin used for food processing and water purification, and potassium salt, a binding agent. If the wall between the nostrils is covered with QR, a protective scab more flexible than a natural one forms. The faux scab is a Hematrix, the trademarked name for the unique barrier, a "web that forms on top of the blood," according to Doris E. Goodman, vice president of marketing for producer Biolife LLC of Sarasota, Fla.
so does this product work more with the actual *blood* ???

i'm not so sure i'd try that... T blood (hemolymph) is very different than that of a human. And if those are intended for human blood, well then, that to me makes it sketchy at best.

in the unfortunate occurrence of a T accident, you should try them out. then again, seeing as how they are untested on t's, i doubt anyone would want to further risk the life of their little ones, assuming a T accident did happen. i know i wouldn't.

--dan--

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That surgery was the most awesome thing I have ever seen, it was amazing....rob
Is there a link or some pics or a vid or anything because I would really like to see this or hear about it please...