Top Ten Most Aggressive Tarantulas

SRirish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is a search function on these boards that you can use for your future questions. I would assume you keep featherlegs much like H.macs, I feel they are slightly overrated as far as defensiveness but that by no means makes them pushovers. You'll have a p.o.'ed spider thats super fast and venomous so there is no such thing as being to cautious.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my H. mac is like a puppy I feel some of these species only act defensive if they are not given good tank set ups. My H. mac hides in his moss all day but the one at the pet store near me has nothing to hide in or under and is a little defensive.

my top 10 of defensive Ts Ive worked with are in no special order:

Nhandu Chromatus
---------------

really? nhandu chromatus?
i have one and it is not agressive atall, it does shoot its hairs at me
but mostly when i open the tank it just gets out of the way, i even held it when i first bought it.
i call it it because im not sure which sex it is.
im thinking male because its very long legged.

this is the pic i put in a thread to get identified and they said it was a nhandu.

in your opinion is it one?

sorry not trying to hyjack the thread im just so suprised you say that species is agressive and on the top ten list! :?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think Brachypelma albopilosum is the most aggressive tarantula ever!!!

Mine ate my thumb and that......

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The most "aggressive" I can think of is Grammostola pulchra. {D Man they'll latch into your neck and make a meal out of your carotid artery.
Yes, That would be the most aggressive/ extremely violent in my top 5 list followed by:

2. G rosea "friendly" form
3. E campestratus
4. B emilia
5. B. albopilosum

And let's not forget daddy longlegs.......DEADLY! If him peez in yor eye yoocannotsee, mon!

:rolleyes:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, That would be the most aggressive/ extremely violent in my top 5 list followed by:

2. G rosea "friendly" form
3. E campestratus
4. B emilia
5. B. albopilosum

And let's not forget daddy longlegs.......DEADLY! If him peez in yor eye yoocannotsee, mon!

:rolleyes:
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

The evil daddy long legs, there's been like 6 and half deaths here this week off those things!!!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that. We've had 10 from isopods alone! {D

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that. We've had 10 from isopods alone! {D
We had a nasty outbreak of housefly's laying eggs in peoples brains here, I mean for serious dude, peoples frikin' brains and that man.....

Naughty stuff......

Helix

Arachnopeon
---------------

really? nhandu chromatus?
i have one and it is not agressive atall, it does shoot its hairs at me
but mostly when i open the tank it just gets out of the way, i even held it when i first bought it.
i call it it because im not sure which sex it is.
im thinking male because its very long legged.

this is the pic i put in a thread to get identified and they said it was a nhandu.

in your opinion is it one?
Also, for now atleast, my most defensive tarantula was also nhandu chromatus.. it was my second tarantula, after B.smithi

And yes, that is Nhandu chromatus.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh my! You need to keep an eye out for planarians for that very same reason- but not this time of year. {D

Btw, Chris, I'd like to man up and apologize for any comments I made awhile back about you and your girl that might have come across to you two, as well as many here, as a bit trollish. Some of us including myself tend to come off a bit rude at times. No harm meant. Y'll have a great evening! Peace, bro.

:)

Terry

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh my! You need to keep an eye out for planarians for that very same reason- but not this time of year. {D

Btw, Chris, I'd like to man up and apologize for any comments I made awhile back about you and your girl that might have come across to you two, as well as many here, as a bit trollish. Some of us including myself tend to come off a bit rude at times. No harm meant. Y'll have a great evening! Peace, bro.

:)

Terry
No worries man, its all good :)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aww, I figure she just wants a kiss on that little white spot between the fangs. :p

Zman181

Arachnoknight
My Male Obt Is a little defensive. He wants a Girlfriend. I need to get him a Mature Girl.

Attachments

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think narrowing this down to a species level is a bit difficult. Listing some genera would be better.

In my experience and in no specific order:

1. Haplopelma
2. Stromatopelma
3. Phlogius
4. Pterinochilus
5. Tapinauchenius
6. Psalmopoeus
7. Monocentropus
8. Ornithoctonus
9. Selenocosmia
10. Citharischius

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^ Interesting. Yet another list with no mention of Poecilotheria. I like seeing that.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the "defensive/aggresive" thing is ridiculous. If people say aggressive, don't correct them. Because they are right. Semantics isn't important. Sofa, couch. Chair, seat. Aggressive, defensive. Lions aren't out to get you either. But could you call them aggressive, sure! There are various definitions on the meaning of aggressive and defensive. OBTs and many other spiders qualify as aggressive.

If you want to call them defensive because it makes you feel better, that's fine. But stop "correcting" people when they are right and you have a differing prefrence.

Back to the subject, I had an H lividum that bit my tongs and gave threat postures. That was my only T to give threats. Yet... ;)

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
My P ornata, P Cambridgei, and A Brocklehursti are my only T's that have ever tried to bite. My H crassipes is my most docile T!! :?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the "defensive/aggresive" thing is ridiculous. If people say aggressive, don't correct them. Because they are right. Semantics isn't important. Sofa, couch. Chair, seat. Aggressive, defensive. Lions aren't out to get you either. But could you call them aggressive, sure! There are various definitions on the meaning of aggressive and defensive. OBTs and many other spiders qualify as aggressive.

If you want to call them defensive because it makes you feel better, that's fine. But stop "correcting" people when they are right and you have a differing prefrence.

Back to the subject, I had an H lividum that bit my tongs and gave threat postures. That was my only T to give threats. Yet... ;)

No. Defensive is still the correct term. Defensive is them defending their home. If you were to bring your H. lividum out of its cage, place it on the ground. If it charges at you and attacks you. That is aggressive.

If your home was broken into, as a human you would want to defend it right? But if you were to just go out and shoot someone randomly that is aggressive/psychotic.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heard stromatopelma calceatum are actualy aggressive. They chase water droplets when you mist. I wanna get one lol

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Least defensive- Brachypelma vagans
Most defensive - Grammostola pulchripes

No its not backwards