Top Ten Most Aggressive Tarantulas

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B vagans is the craziest tarantula I have ever had.
Right now I have just over 200 different species, and hands down, it's my female B vagans.
I have over 40 tarantulas (about 30 different species) and I'd have to agree with this. My female B. vagans... she is insane!

I keep seeing H. lividum brought up but my girl is just really, eerily calm. Even rehousing her, she went calmly into the catch cup, after hardly caring that I tore the roof off of her home, then nicely into her new enclosure. :eek: lol

FireGuyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As stated they are not agressive.. But deffensive..

But to add to the list of deffensive tarantulas.. I would say the Psalmopoeus genus.. They are pretty deffensive..
I've handled the P.cambridgei with no problem. The irmina and the pulcher are pretty defensive from my experience.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my H. mac is like a puppy I feel some of these species only act defensive if they are not given good tank set ups. My H. mac hides in his moss all day but the one at the pet store near me has nothing to hide in or under and is a little defensive.

my top 10 of defensive Ts Ive worked with are in no special order:
Haplopelma lividum
Iridoplema hirsutum
Nhandu tripepii
Nhandu Chromatus
Phlogius sp aussie goliath 1 out of my 4 is an angry little best
Pterinoclus murinus
Tapinauchenius plumipes
Citharischius crawshayi
Lampropelma violaceopes
Poecilotheria Regalis
I'm glad to see one person posted a top 10 list. I would agree with most of this list, except the tripepii. I have several large females and they are all quite laid back. My chromatus go crazy and run about but don't really attack so I'd remove them from this list too. The rest definitely belong on the top 10.

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Psalmopoeus and my GBB are my quickest to attack prey, which would be more of an aggressive behavior. Jason's P. cancerides is the quickest to rear up at the slightest motion, which is more defensive.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had an A. avicularia that would raise up and show fangs every time I walked by or even looked at her, so it wouldn't surprise me that someone might list some other random nw T as one that they found to be aggressive/defensive.

I had a P. murinus for a very little while that would really get my adrenaline pumping when I would try to change its substrate/rehouse.

ikarus_black

Arachnopeon
..... nope!!

.... in my opinion, i think there's not aggresive tarantula, they all just react against a threat ..... but if i have to name one in my collection, its my P. pederseni..... she's got issues!!!!!;P

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
.... in my opinion, i think there's not aggresive tarantula, they all just react against a threat ..... but if i have to name one in my collection, its my P. pederseni..... she's got issues!!!!!;P
Reacting against a threat is defensive behaviour and aggression is used to defend:)

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whats crazy is in my 15yrs of keepin spidas, iv had less than 10x of seeing any kind of "aggression" from a 90% ow kollection.

kevin1995

Arachnopeon
From my limited knowledge of all the species and spellings of them, I think the genuses including H. lividum, P. murinus, P. ornata are quite defensive.
King baboons are defensive but they bite rarely because they tend to just stay in their burrow. Pokies and genus including P. murinus tend to dash quite a lot and if threatened they immidiately go to defense position. Psalmoes are ok, as long as you dont poke and jab their webbings. As for uticating hairs, Theraphosas are widely known for their nice hairs.

Most terrestrial species tend to not tag you unless you have an adult specimen.

Most arboreals are okay, but some like pokies dash a lot and bites are painful.

Burrowing types have nasty bites but just remember to give them proper home, they will be okay with you.

Many T's are good to keep even if you are a beginner as long as you do a research on them as well as other keeper's opinion on certain species.

K.K.I.

Arachnopeon
Well, I suppose all Poecilotherias and Haplopelmas are very defensive of every vibration near
them. When cleaning days come, I realy experience problems with my fast Poecilotherias,
since they do fast moves and of course of the strong venom.

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most aggressive T I have ever had in my possession for any prolonged period of time was a MM Chilobrachys fimbriatus. It would flare up the second I walked in the room, and would begin striking when I got close...mating was...."fun".:liar:

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
yea i have many haplo's and they all seem pretty "defensive" or as i agree with the above statement that compared with other T's they r aggressive. not mean just aggressive or defensive what ever you want to call it

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
10 most defensive T's

Don't really have any except one A Seemani ?? But, some of the most aggressive I've seen posted on similar forums are: S Calceatum, S Dichromata, P Ornata, P Cancerides, H Vietnam, H Minax, H Lividum, T Blondi, P Murinas, and Rangoon Mustard.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I suppose all Poecilotherias and Haplopelmas are very defensive of every vibration near
them. When cleaning days come, I realy experience problems with my fast Poecilotherias,
since they do fast moves and of course of the strong venom.
I keep many poecilotheria, and i never have problem with them, they tend to run and hide, rather than stand and fight. Have several subfusca and metallica and they are as calm as any B smithi i have seen. Maculata and stromatopelma are also a little overrated with defensiveness, seldom have any worries there. But i do see very defensive behaviour with my chinese haplopelmas and my singapore blue.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
from what i had before..

Haplopelma Minax and Chilobrachys Huahini.. never shy to show a threat pose.. :D

SRirish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Personally my Heteroscodra was more of the flighty variety...

the only tarantula of the ones i've owned that scared me (and that now includes a 8.5" theraphosa sp.) was my chilobrachys, It was a wc specimen but man was he evil.... Threat poses galore.

and when he did get out.. he wouldn't think twice to charge at ya with his front 2 legs up.
Here she is in her 7" of glory.
Would you happen to know what type of Chilobrachys you have? My Chilobrachys "guanxiensis" is by far the most aggressively defensive T I have come across, 7.5" of 8 legged asian fury. I've gotten a obt sling recently though and it's already starting to show a little attitude.
What are peoples experiences with T's from down under? I heard that some of them can be really over the top as far as defensiveness goes.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only have NW, but my RCF rosea is ridiculously crazy. It will raise it's abdomen up in the air at you and one of it's back legs just ready to kick at you. Or when you open the container and it's running at you with it's front legs up in the air. It's crazy!!! I'm scared of that thing.

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
The most "aggressive" I can think of is Grammostola pulchra. {D Man they'll latch into your neck and make a meal out of your carotid artery.

AlexNorthey

Arachnopeon
S.Calceatum

Hi. I'm getting a S. Calceatum on Saturday. Has anybody got any advice on how I need to keep it? Couldn't find and care sheets so I'm not sure about the humidity and other stuff etc. Thanks :)