TKG Points of Discussion

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Stan's passion has been for the calmer NW terrestrials that he could handle, which were the majority of his collection. Certainly nothing wrong with that
Given your views on appropriate Ts for newbies, I can see you recommending TKG for beginners.

.It was only in the last 10 years that OW's became popular.
Indeed. Most information I have found on OWs was from the internet. And for a newbie, it's not always easy to discern what is good information and what isn't.

I'm enjoying this thread, enjoying hearing varying viewpoints.
Just need to get all the good information into one massive tome somehow -- whether that be TKG4 or some new T volume.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Dang this thread is interesting. After reading the TKG 3 and getting my first T's, I made many mistakes and adjusted my maintenance techniques often. I thought Stan's view on keeping these animals as dry as possible for cleanliness was smart and yet, hearing Poec's comments about how far the hobby has come, the species that Stan kept, and the success of European breeders that are more attentive to species specific husbandry, I am reconsidering things once again. Thanks to Poec for this insight as it holds the potential to make my charges all the more healthy. This means I have more research to chew on into the wee hours of the morning....my fiance will be thrilled.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
The very best think anyone can do for a tarantula is to research the natural habitat they come from and mimic it as best as possible. The TKG argues against natural setups, for reasons that have no basis in science whatsoever, but cleanliness is not a trait you have to consider very often when housing an animal that lives in dirt its entire life. Creating an ecosystem that mimics the one your spider would live in if she were a wild spider is the easiest way to prevent, well, death. And also to encourage breeding, if you so choose. Obviously being in captive care means you can regulate things a little more, by not letting temperatures get too high or too low, or not introducing predators, but for the most part, natural soil, real plants, microfauna such as springtails (and even grain mites are a handy cleanup crew as well as inevitable if you buy crickets ever) will result in not only a "happy", healthy tarantula, but will give you the best possible window into their natural behavior, which is why most people keep animals that prefer not to interact with you, isn't it?
Using regular old dirt from outside (no baking necessary) has been popular in Europe forever and many a captive bred spiderling has been hatched into that environment to be imported to the US for us Americans to enjoy. I really wish the book would make revisions about that as well, but I have seen the arguments in forums in the past and am not holding my breath.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea Rick you have good info - no doubt there - so why don't you help Stan? Not to get too personal but his wife's passing leaves him alone in this endeavor.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
The very best think anyone can do for a tarantula is to research the natural habitat they come from and mimic it as best as possible. The TKG argues against natural setups, for reasons that have no basis in science whatsoever, but cleanliness is not a trait you have to consider very often when housing an animal that lives in dirt its entire life. Creating an ecosystem that mimics the one your spider would live in if she were a wild spider is the easiest way to prevent, well, death. And also to encourage breeding, if you so choose. Obviously being in captive care means you can regulate things a little more, by not letting temperatures get too high or too low, or not introducing predators, but for the most part, natural soil, real plants, microfauna such as springtails (and even grain mites are a handy cleanup crew as well as inevitable if you buy crickets ever) will result in not only a "happy", healthy tarantula, but will give you the best possible window into their natural behavior, which is why most people keep animals that prefer not to interact with you, isn't it?
Using regular old dirt from outside (no baking necessary) has been popular in Europe forever and many a captive bred spiderling has been hatched into that environment to be imported to the US for us Americans to enjoy. I really wish the book would make revisions about that as well, but I have seen the arguments in forums in the past and am not holding my breath.
How far do we take this naturalistic vivarium idea? Is some dirt and a lean to piece of cork bark enough for arboreals? Are fake plants not ok? If adequate humidity and temps are kept, is good enough good enough? Do we need cluttered enclosures with live plants and supplementary heating? It seems to me that a lot of hobbyists breed there T's. Are they all using naturalistic set ups and extra heating or are alot of the species thriving and breeding at room temp (65-75F) and a general cycle of moistening and drying out that may be slightly varied by species? Also, are we to completely disregard the standard used to dictate adequate cage size? This is very thought provoking and yet, to newer keepers, could lead to the over thinking and subsequent over manipulation of the conditions in which a spider is kept....do we make our own individual judgement calls as to the health, vigor, and contentment of our T's? I think we have to while keeping our ears wide open to the observations of the veterans so we can tweak our methods.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yea Rick you have good info - no doubt there - so why don't you help Stan? Not to get too personal but his wife's passing leaves him alone in this endeavor.
I'd love to be one of the people he consults, but there are others who know a lot more than me who he should also talk to, in the US and Europe. I'd really like to see the TKG 'knock it out of the park' with this final edition.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poec, I will be honest with you, I thought this was a thread that would go straight into a fire, quickly. I am surprised by how well it has went lol! Awesome thread! :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
How far do we take this naturalistic vivarium idea? Is some dirt and a lean to piece of cork bark enough for arboreals? Are fake plants not ok? If adequate humidity and temps are kept, is good enough good enough? Do we need cluttered enclosures with live plants and supplementary heating? It seems to me that a lot of hobbyists breed there T's. Are they all using naturalistic set ups and extra heating or are alot of the species thriving and breeding at room temp (65-75F) and a general cycle of moistening and drying out that may be slightly varied by species?
- I think plastic plants are worthwhile, they give the cage some variety and texture, and the spiders don't feel so exposed out in the open. I prefer them to real plants, as their needs can compete with a tarantula's. That being said, some people do an excellent job with live plants, but it's more expensive and time consuming to make a beautiful terrarium with them, a factor that comes into play as your collection grows.

- Actually a lot of tarantulas aren't bred, most die as virgins. That keeps the supply low and demand high, which in turn limits how many people can afford to buy them. Most countries have been shut down from exporting animals; we HAVE to breed them to keep the hobby going. We can't go back in the wild to replace our spiders anymore. We have to be self-sufficient. The future of the hobby is reproducing our animals.

This statement, from Stan himself, is the most damning criticism about the TKG:

"There are many species of tarantulas that have proven very difficult to breed in captivity, and enthusiasts are exploring these species' sensitivity to, or need for special conditions outside those recommended here to promote their breeding."

Virtually every species in the hobby is being bred in captivity these days, the majority in Europe. We Americans need to catch up; shouldn't the TKG be a tool to assist in that? Americans certainly don't produce many B smithi slings (the classic symbol of the hobby!); wouldn't it be great if the TKG told us what the successful breeders have done?

If the husbandry recommendations in the TKG do not promote breeding for 'many' tarantula species, doesn't that require a major overhaul of it's husbandry sections? Rather then see how far we can 'push the envelope' with how much tarantulas can tolerate in the way of unnatural conditions, shouldn't we be doing everything possible to ensure that the hobby still has spiders in the future? I know Stan wants this hobby to be around for decades to come, he's invested a large part of his life in it. As his legacy, what could be more fitting than for the TKG to be a tool for the average collector to learn how to breed a number of the 'difficult' species? I can think of no greater gift he could give. He's had three editions with his previous recommendations; what if the fourth takes the leap to be current with the husbandry and reproduction of many of the species in the hobby today?

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you bred many species? Just curious

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec, I will be honest with you, I thought this was a thread that would go straight into a fire, quickly. I am surprised by how well it has went lol! Awesome thread! :)
In spite of any differences in the spiders we prefer and how we care for them, Stan and I are friends. We've both spent decades with these animals. And yes, I too am very pleased to see Stan's positive reaction. This can be a very healthy process we all benefit from.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It did seem like it was a little on the offensive side on your post but you guys being friends definitely helps that way it didn't get crazy lol! But yeah, thanks for starting this thread! :)

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rick you stated that planning is what separates the people who produce sacs from those who don't produce many. It seems to me that this could be a big part of the reason they produce more in Europe. They realized that producing spiders is the way to keep the hobby sustainable long before people in the states. I would suspect fewer hobbyists buy spiders without any plans to breed them in Europe. This opens up the door for a lot more trading and thus a lot more breeding opportunities.

For example if one focused on breeding A versicolor and GBBs here in the states they could potentially produce a lot of slings fairly easily while gaining a lot of knowledge and experience. Now those slings can be used to trade for adult specimens for breeding projects. It seems if more hobbyists had more direction in their keeping that we'd be seeing a lot more produced. Just my .02

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 06:17 PM ----------

Now of course most people don't want to produce those common Ts that are staples in the hobby. That's not as exciting as producing Pamphos so they stock up on rare hard to acquire and difficult to reproduce spiders rather than learning with the more common stuff and building from there

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The first step in breeding is planning your acquisitions so that you have adult(s) of both sexes maturing at the right time. I always try to get 5 to 10 slings at a time of a species, to ensure having the sex I need. When starting a breeding group, you'll need females; after you have a breeding group, you need males. Whenever possible, I like to have a female that's 2 years older than my young males of that species. I don't like breeding females that are small and young.

A lot of people do the 'shotgun' approach, with one-of-this, one-of-that. They don't have anything to pair up, and seem to be caught off guard when males mature. Not much in the way of results doing this.

Another important part for many species is seasonal cycling, whether warm and cool, or moist and dry. Is the rainy season in the summer or winter? This is where the US needs to learn more.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I was referring to the arachnoboards classifieds where you can find a large variety of slings that hobbyists have bred. Not all of them are the "easy" ones either. I am just curious where the balance may lie between accurately reproducing natural conditions and simplifying the care of these animals so as not to over complicate something that is not that complicated. Poec has described his technique for ventilating his enclosures in brief terms on another thread, and it is very straight forward and, I believe, universal for all of his enclosures, regardless of species....correct me if I am wrong. I may have misunderstood. My point/inquiry is that simple techniques can be beneficial and allow many different species to thrive with basic and simple differences in maintenance practices. For those that don't know, I am new to the hobby, and trying to equip myself with knowledge and strong principles regarding my husbandry practices for the benefit of my spiders. I am not an amateur or "wannabe" scientist. I am a guy who loves animals of all kinds and this passion began as a youngster. I am drawn to the "unloveable" animals that most are fearful of and want my little fanged friends to be "happy."

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was referring to the arachnoboards classifieds where you can find a large variety of slings that hobbyists have bred. Not all of them are the "easy" ones either.
Ah, but a large portion of slings that are rare species are European imports. Many US dealers are doing this now. In fact that's the trend with many big dealers; some of those newly-imported slings are traded to other dealers and are sold by a number of people. There's still plenty of imports in the classifieds here. The species being produced in the US is a fraction of what's being done in Europe. We're still very dependent on them.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For those that don't know, I am new to the hobby, and trying to equip myself with knowledge and strong principles regarding my husbandry practices for the benefit of my spiders. I am not an amateur or "wannabe" scientist. I am a guy who loves animals of all kinds and this passion began as a youngster. I am drawn to the "unloveable" animals that most are fearful of and want my little fanged friends to be "happy."
I think a lot of people who are new to the hobby want to think they are going to be on the forefront of modern keeping techniques or even revolutionize the hobby. There are a lot of wannabe scientist out there who don't want to believe how easy it is to keep these animals. They want to think they are involved in something that is a lot more difficult then it truly is and believe that they know more than people that have been involved in the hobby for decades simply because they deem other people's husbandry methods outdated.

Aside from breeding, you really can keep the majority of these spiders alive using the same technique for every species. Whether that be keeping them arid with a water bowl or keeping them in drilled out plastic shoe boxes with 4" of moist substrate and an optional water bowl you can keep a LOT of species this way. Also if your house doesn't get below 70 degrees you can even keep the tropical species at room temps. I'm not saying you can breed everything this way, but you can surely keep a huge collection this way. When things start to look bad just pop the T in the ICU. Do things this way and you will be fairly successful. So many people want to fight this because it makes it seem too easy

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I think a lot of people who are new to the hobby want to think they are going to be on the forefront of modern keeping techniques or even revolutionize the hobby. There are a lot of wannabe scientist out there who don't want to believe how easy it is to keep these animals. They want to think they are involved in something that is a lot more difficult then it truly is and believe that they know more than people that have been involved in the hobby for decades simply because they deem other people's husbandry methods outdated.

Aside from breeding, you really can keep the majority of these spiders alive using the same technique for every species. Whether that be keeping them arid with a water bowl or keeping them in drilled out plastic shoe boxes with 4" of moist substrate and an optional water bowl you can keep a LOT of species this way. Also if your house doesn't get below 70 degrees you can even keep the tropical species at room temps. I'm not saying you can breed everything this way, but you can surely keep a huge collection this way. When things start to look bad just pop the T in the ICU. Do things this way and you will be fairly successful. So many people want to fight this because it makes it seem too easy
This is the exact thing this thread is trying to change. Keeping spider's alive is very different than having spiders thrive. I don't think replicating a specific species natural temps, humidity and seasons is "trying to revolutionize" anything. It's just trying to create the best environment for the spider. Isn't that the goal? Are you keeping them all the same for ease and convenience? If so, that's what needs to change.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the exact thing this thread is trying to change. Keeping spider's alive is very different than having spiders thrive. I don't think replicating a specific species natural temps, humidity and seasons is "trying to revolutionize" anything. It's just trying to create the best environment for the spider. Isn't that the goal? Are you keeping them all the same for ease and convenience? If so, that's what needs to change.
Neither of those is how I keep my T's. I simply stating that this hobby can be VERY easy if you are not trying to breed and simply want to have a nice collection. Many spiders would not suffer under these conditions even if they are less than ideal. When I had a few dozen species I had a nice set up. I had a cabinet with wire shelves. There was a heat light at the top of the cabinet. This created a heat gradient with each shelf being a different temperature. I had a computer fan exhausting the cabinet on a timer every hour. I varied the humidity by varying the substrate moisture and ventilation. I didn't keep water bowls with most of my collection except for adult females. That's what worked for me at the time.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 10:45 PM ----------

Also it's ridiculous to think we can emulate their natural environments to anything more than generalizations. Right now it's between 73 and 79 degrees in French Guiana. There is a thunderstorm rolling into one part. What do I try to mimic for my stirmi? 73 degrees? 79? yay or nay on the thunderstorm? We all know how unpredictable tropical weather is. Should I check their forecast daily and adjust my temps/humidity accordingly? What about barometric pressure? This T seems to be quite happy at room temps of 73.9 degrees in her drilled out shoe box with 4" of coconut coir, a hide, and a water bowl and just so happens to be pretty darn close to the current conditions of her native home.

Wouldn't it be easier to come up with a system that's simple and can be replicated by others? Especially when talking about producing captive slings to support the hobby?

Last edited:

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
....because that is EXACTLY what advan meant by that comment....
I stated that room temps and drilled out shoes boxes with 4" of substrate and a water dish will work for many species. Advan made this seem rudimentary at best. So I decided to check current conditions in my stirmi's box and in French Guiana and it turns out I ain't too far off the mark.

I see so many newbies over doing it and getting caught up in details. There is a lot of bad information out there and if you don't know enough to discern the good from bad then it's best to KISS (keep it simple stupid (not directed at anybody here)) I feel a lot of advanced keepers make the hobby more confusing than it needs to be for novices

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

I've been around for a long time and I see this across the board with keeping fish and animals. You'll hear that X animal needs X amount of space, heat gradient, food ect ect and come to find out that this isn't even how many are being kept in AZA accredited institutions. I've visited commercial breeders of different animals from birds, to fish, to reptiles and they are breeding in less than what the care sheets tell you is the minimum amount of space required to keep an individual and keeping them on very simple diets.

Do you think people producing slings are keeping their stirmi in 20 gallon long setups? I doubt it