Thinking Of Getting An "Old World" Tarantula.

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a sing blue would be a good one to start with they are big good looking and pretty docile. i don't hold mine a ton but i will once in awhile and it has never shown any signs of being agg.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Most OW spiders are secretive. You will not see them much. That said, I am quite fond of OW aboreals*.

All my Pokies are reclusive. Cyriopagapus *sometimes* come out. Selenocosmia is there an animal in there? Same for Haplopelma. The most visible seem to be African species, but again rarely. OBT's are cheap, but not passive. They also tend to be reclusive.
Of the group, the most likely one for ME to handle are the Singapore Blues (I have handled many of these during shipping).

As to handling, you will have make your own risk assessment. I cannot imagine that ANY spider 'likes' being handled! The GOOD thing about OW of course is that they don't have the urticating hairs. My 2 cents.

*Note to Scott & Debby, why doesn't the board's spell checker know words such as: "urticating, aboreal and ootheca ?:?

dimocritus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most OW spiders are secretive. You will not see them much. That said, I am quite fond of OW aboreals*.
Chilobrachys huahini (and maybe several other Chilobrachys's) are not hidden almost + they have good size and interesting appearance (but i agree not it is pleasant to all)

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would suggest something from the genus Ceratogyrus as these are fairly calm for an OW T anyway.

Art

izan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Handling any T isnt really much of big deal and it is true that a murinus can be a docile as a Rosea. The only difference being the effects of the tag should not enough concentration and respect be given, when in close quarters. 'In' or 'out' of the viv.

We rarely handle ours but we have taken some nice pics at the time. I dont believe they get too stressed and it is intriguing to experience the attitude of your particular T.

I would recommend you take a look at whichever Pokie you like best and also an OBT, which are top T's I.M.O.

Good Luck with whatever you get.

iZAN

antbebo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Izan- What species is the spider in the first photo? That is the one of the most beautiful Ts I have ever seen. ALL of the Ts in the pics are amazing looking!:clap:

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Izan...that is what I was looking for. Not only your opinion BUT some visual proof! I am thankful for all of your suggestions and is still open for more. I have not gotten any suggestions on the Psalmopoeus family. I am just researching for now. I am not 100% sure I want to step up the ADVANCE yet. I might get some more intermediate tarantulas. It's just challeging to have some pet that venomous that you can hold. Thank you.

Grako

Arachnopeon
Edit: just to throw in my 2 cents on topic. I'd say the P. irmina or p. cambridgei might make a suitable "defensive" tarantula. Both look amazing. Though they are fast species there have been a number of shots of people handling them both. They are NW but don't have urticating hairs as far as I've seen and read.
You did get suggestions on the Psalmpoeus family. I don't have any handling pictures of mine. But there are plety of handling pictures of them out there.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New vs. Old

The New World is all of North America, Central America, South America, and Australia. That is not my opinion, that is a fact. Old World is everything else except Antarctica (which is neither old nor new world). You can sterotype new world Ts as hair flickers, but like any sterotype it won't be true in many cases.

There are many new world species you can hold that can give you a bad bite, such as P. irminia... so you don't need to hold old world Ts for the risk to outweigh the reward. ;)

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grako...I am thankful for that guy's imput BUT he did not say he owned one like yourself just stated. I am looking for suggestions from people who not only own 'em BUT handles 'em as well. Remember my comments on the acanthoscurria geniculata? If I was able to post a picture of me handling mine I would but I don't know how. But believe me mine is VERY DOCILE. The guy who sold her to me that's his life, tarantulas! He stated he has handled her from a sling and I was amazed how calm she is.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Kid Dragon...are the psalmopoeus family new world tarantulas with old world features? They do lack urticating hairs?

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I believe that Psalmopoeus, like Avicularia which they are a sub-group of, have urticating hairs on the palps, but not the rest of the body.

I really like my Psalmos--I have handled my irminia and pulcher. My cambridgie is the most vicious animal in my menagerie, the only one to stand up and drip venom! She is beauty though!

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Old vs.New not very useful with T anatomy

Hey Kid Dragon...are the psalmopoeus family new world tarantulas with old world features? They do lack urticating hairs?
Lennie,

Psalmopoeus is a genus in the family Theraphosidae. Psalmopoeus is a new world genus of tarantula that do not hair flick. 'Old World features' is probably a misnomer when dealing with tarantulas and urticating hairs. Too many exceptions to generalize, such as Australian species.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but Old World and New World are barely useful in geography, and even less useful to generalize tarantula anatomy.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe that Psalmopoeus, like Avicularia which they are a sub-group of, have urticating hairs on the palps, but not the rest of the body.
I think you are talking about Ephebopus spp. They have the u. hairs on the palps ;)

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S...I actually looked at this family of tarantulas first. The only thing that turned me away were they like to spend a lot of time in their burrows. BUT they are beautiful tarantulas indeed!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brian S...I actually looked at this family of tarantulas first. The only thing that turned me away were they like to spend a lot of time in their burrows. BUT they are beautiful tarantulas indeed!
Yeah they are burrowers for sure. I used to not want anything that stayed in a burrow alot but now I have a strange fascination with them. I have other spp that are good display species so it doesnt bother me that I have some jars of pet dirt.
I really dig the Aussie spiders! Now if you want a really cool burrowing species thats the route to go! I do like my Ephabopus spp too but not as well as the big ,ugly, bad tempered Oz spiders

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S...after Izan posts and some suggestions on this thread I would pick a tarantula from 1 of the following families:

1) Ephebopus most likely Murinus
2) Poecilotheria most likely Metallica
3) Psalmopoeus most likely Irminia

I am still reading the responses and getting some good feedback.

BrachyDude

Arachnopeon
This thread talked me into getting a OBT. Have one on the way, oh boy...

Im pretty sure E. murinus is NW...

Have fun,
Alex