Thinking Of Getting An "Old World" Tarantula.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been thinking of getting an old world tarantula for some time now. I know they have more toxic venom than the "new world" tarantulas. I have heard that "captive" bred old world tarantulas are not as quick to bite as wild caught ones. I am only going by what people that breed/sell them have actually told me but I could use more imput. So if you have actually handled old world tarantulas than I would love your comments. I would also like some recommendations. I will like to handle them but it would be far less than I handle my new worlds. Far, far less. One seller suggested a poecilotheria miranda. He stated that if I get one, get a 1 inch sling and handle her ALOT. He said he has handled countless poecilotheria slings and when they reach adults...he has not been bitten yet BUT he realizes the threat is there. So come on with the recommendations! Thank you all in advance for your comments and imput!

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OxDionysus..."new" world have urticating hairs and "old" world do not. Old world tarantulas are from Asia, Africa, and some South American countries. New world are from North, Central, and South America.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Any Poecilotheria spp is amazing:D.
I don't handle, but with pokies you would have to worry about their speed.
They are very fast:D
Probably the most docile old world sp I have is E. pachypus.
Are you interested in just arboreal or terrestrial as well?

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Great first old worlder: Pterinochilus murinus.....

Cheap. Sassy. Beautiful..... Search for pics to see how often they're handled..... They'll give you a crash course on the fast and fiesty :D

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fartowski...I am weighing both terrestial and arboreal. I like the poecilotherias but I am interested in the goliath birdeaters has well. I know some old world tarantulas are going to unhandleable regardless if I get them has sling and handle them alot mainly the colbalt blue. I am exploring right now. I am not 100% sure I will get one. I forgot to mentioned I have a 7 year old son I get weekends. I do not have to worry about him messing with them BUT his mother could use that against me as I am trying to get custody of him.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a small point: Goliath Birdeaters are NW, not OW.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I'm not big on handling for the sake of handling, but...

Slings only thus far.... except a male on the run by accident. I was not bit....

This site is loaded with people handling all sizes though, and in my opinion they're not nearly as bad on any level(speed/aggro/etc.), except toxicity, as their rap would leave you believing.

Good luck :)

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
gvfarns you are right! I should have labelled this Thinking of getting a more defensive tarantula. Do you own a goliath birdeater?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I don't. Too urticating. Plus they tend to come WC and that would make me feel guilty.

I'd recommend what other people here have recommended. If you are going cheap and awesome, get an OBT. Mean as all get out but that's the name of the game.

If you are going slightly less cheap and awesome, there are pokies. Sooo attractive.

One of those two.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scott C you are 100% correct. I was told that acanthoscurria genticulatas were quick to bite. I have handled my 6 inch female countless times and not ONE, I will say it again, NOT ONE threat posture. She is very docile.

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T. blondi is from South America, so the previous poster saying it is a New World tarantula is correct. So you want a defensive tarantula you can hold? That wouldn't make it very defensive...

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will put it like this because now I will get all types of responses from people who wants to get a laugh. I am interested in getting a "pokie'. Are there any owners that actually handle these? If you don't own one you need not to reply. Thank you!

Grako

Arachnopeon
Scott C you are 100% correct. I was told that acanthoscurria genticulatas were quick to bite. I have handled my 6 inch female countless times and not ONE, I will say it again, NOT ONE threat posture. She is very docile.
You sir are a lucky guy. My a. geniculata tries to rip my face off every time I even go in to change the water dish....and if she isn't trying to rip my face off she raising her rump and making a cloud of hairs. Like they say it always varies from individual to individual.

Edit: just to throw in my 2 cents on topic. I'd say the P. irmina or p. cambridgei might make a suitable "defensive" tarantula. Both look amazing. Though they are fast species there have been a number of shots of people handling them both. They are NW but don't have urticating hairs as far as I've seen and read.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OxDionysus..."new" world have urticating hairs and "old" world do not. Old world tarantulas are from Asia, Africa, and some South American countries. New world are from North, Central, and South America.
OW T's are from the eastern hemisphere, NW from the western (basically the Americas and Caribbean Islands) and all NW to not have urticating hairs. No OW in south america.
Rev

Last edited:

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fartowski...I am weighing both terrestial and arboreal. I like the poecilotherias. I know some old world tarantulas are going to unhandleable regardless if I get them has sling and handle them alot mainly the colbalt blue.
I really suggest against handling any Haps, not because you'll be bit (matters not to me lol) but because Haps and any other OW obligate burrower will be highly stressed with that type treatment and most likely die. I did handle my pokies some (on occasion their idea not mine, secondary feeding/cleaning opening was finally an answer to that lol) with no bites to report.
Rev

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Huh??:? Last account I had, all South American countries are NW. Not all NW spiders have urticating hairs

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OBT would just love you!

I agree that pokies can be held. Then again I have yet to find anything I can't handle. You just have to realize going in that if for some reason known only to the T it decides to bite...you have fun with that! lol. P. murinus is a great suggestion. Tough as nails--we're not talking about a T. blondi that croaks if the humidity isn't right or the first time it moults. They are a gorgeous orange which you will often see as an orange blur--*amn they're fast! lol. They are spunky, you'll get to see a threat display on occasion. Yep, P. murinus is calling your name. They love newbies to the ow. {D lol.

--the nature boy