Species Theraphosa blondi

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's also an electric shock risk with something like that. I honestly hope all goes well. :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Scorps_n_Ts said:
There's also an electric shock risk with something like that. I honestly hope all goes well. :D

Under dry dirt? :confused:

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, but sometimes at the expense of the T's! I'm way too paranoid to put in a heat rock...Though with some of my snakes, torts and lizards I have used one...But I usually put a sock over it, and use a rubberband to close off the opening! I've seen too many burned bellies to use heat rocks carelessly!!!

becca81 said:
I think MizM knows what she's doing and wouldn't do anything to harm any of her Ts. We all try out new things and it gives us more information on what works and what doesn't.

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gotta' disagree..they can be useful if under other rocks, or wrapped in a sock...however, then you have to worry about shorts, burns, etc!!!

DavidBeard said:
Just going on my experiences and knowledge of heat rocks from keeping reptiles for 10 years, I say the only good heat rock is one with a severed cord.

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the reputation for how often blondi's burrow?? I was given one by a friend and it doesn't seem to want to burrow at all

MizM said:
Thanks for the confidence in my T keeping! No harm, all opinions welcome, even "lose the rock!" :D I enjoy, and learn from everyone's experiences, opinions, input, etc.

The heat rock is actually the old one from the rosy cage. She would lay on it after eating a big fat mouse to help her digest. She got very restless when I took it out, so I had to put it back in.

When I was creating the blondi terrarium, I was thinking that perhaps the extra heat well below the substrate would help keep the humidity up a bit, I detest misting, but blondis are so moisture dependant. It can't hurt to try, I'm observing her closely, and if it helps, why not? I also use roly-poly bugs in blondi enclosures to clean up any little vermin, mold or what-have-you that shows up.

This poor girl has never been given the opportunity to burrow, I'm anxious to see what's she'll do with different opportunities.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks like a really nicely set up enclosure! Does she ever go near the running water?

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
greenfiremajick said:
What is the reputation for how often blondi's burrow?? I was given one by a friend and it doesn't seem to want to burrow at all
They're opportunistic burrowers, taking over burrows made by another animal in the wild.

If you give them a hole to move into, they will (in most cases), do some rearranging to suite themselves, but they need it to be pre-exisiting...at least from my experience.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New blondi...

Wow Ter!
Beautiful set up! Your new blondi looks plump and healthy! Sweet! :worship: :)

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'll be very interesting to hear your results with the "hot rock" Terri. My 5" G. Pulchra always seems drawn to the side of her tank that has a "heating mat" affixed. She usually perches on top of the artificial log where she can get closest to the warmth. Of course, I too am very careful and tend not to let her overheat herself by unplugging when I think she's nearing "medium rare". However, she seems to know when she's had enough as she doesn't just sit there permanently.

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thx! think i'll make one for her then!!

Deschain said:
They're opportunistic burrowers, taking over burrows made by another animal in the wild.

If you give them a hole to move into, they will (in most cases), do some rearranging to suite themselves, but they need it to be pre-exisiting...at least from my experience.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
greenfiremajick said:
gotta' disagree..they can be useful if under other rocks, or wrapped in a sock...however, then you have to worry about shorts, burns, etc!!!
Oh...so shorting out and burning your animal isn't a big concern for you then? lol...I stand by my opinion that the only good hot rock is one with a severed cord. They make great paper weights....but they're terrible as a heat source for ectotherms.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:eek: I simply cannot believe this. She was in pre-molt, but not quite as dark as others I've seen. I checked her this morning and she was in her log hide, and I came home to this:
(The exuvia measures 8", wonder how big she is NOW!)
Edit: And she's a SHE!! {D :D {D

Last edited:

Grimlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW. How exciting! Despite all the arguments over the heat rock thingy, I say awesome spider! And I trust your judgement.

Congrats on the molt. Please post post molt pics. ;)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i love that spider Terri! beautiful enclosure. hmm... it seemed bigger when you had itout in the elevator... oh well, it's not important, its still a gorgeous girl! hope mine grows up to bbe just like it.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MizM said:
<SNIP>, I detest misting, but blondis are so moisture dependant. <SNIP>
Ter,
Didn't I read that Rick West kept his T.blondi dry and was not experiencing any problems? My T.apophysis is working its way towards a dry cage, and doesn't seem any worse for it.

I do give it some rainfall every other week or so, and she really seems ok (so far).

Pics after the molt please????

:)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
darkeye said:
Ter,
Didn't I read that Rick West kept his T.blondi dry and was not experiencing any problems? My T.apophysis is working its way towards a dry cage, and doesn't seem any worse for it.

I do give it some rainfall every other week or so, and she really seems ok (so far).

Pics after the molt please????

:)

If anyone has the link with Rick West talking about keeping blondi dry could they please post it...I keep my blondi on the dry side and am always interesed in what he has to say...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Bluethunder

Arachnopeon
So MizM

What did you ever do with the rosy(s)? I am looking to get 1 or 2 of those snakes. I have a real nice female Blondi too...my best T. She is a real glutton...I fed her 2 half size mice (deer) and she is looking for more. Believe me...this t. can handle mice with ease. I would be hesitant feeding her adult mice...just because they can bite back. :eek:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Bluethunder said:
What did you ever do with the rosy(s)? I am looking to get 1 or 2 of those snakes. I have a real nice female Blondi too...my best T. She is a real glutton...I fed her 2 half size mice (deer) and she is looking for more. Believe me...this t. can handle mice with ease. I would be hesitant feeding her adult mice...just because they can bite back. :eek:
I only had one rosy. My friend, PenneyW, came over Sunday and picked up all my snakes but the ball. I needed more free enclosures after the conference! :p

I'll post pics as soon as she hardens up. I'm hesitant to disturb her again. The idea of a dry blondi cage is intriguing. I'll e-mail Rick and get the details.

DON'T FEED YOUR BLONDI VERTEBRATES ONLY! I posted this on another thread, but it seems a diet of just vertebrates gives the T too much calcium, which intereferes with the magnesium in their fangs or chelierae. R.I.E.S.M. is investigating this as a possible cause of fangs falling out in blondi! :eek: Until more is found out, I'm going to rely on hissers and crix. From now on, vertebrates are for post-molt or post-sac fattening up ONLY!