The rarer breeds - what are they these days, really?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Guys

I've been reading the forum pages for quite a while now and have an idea of some of the rarer/harder to breed species out there. So let's see what people have to say on the matter. I recall a recent thread by Joe asking how many M. balfouri's were out there and from what I saw in the poll, although not a vast number, there were certainly a few.

So what's your personal favorite rarer species? I see a lot of interest in the dwarf species etc but what else have keepers got that's a real jewel amongst T keepers? I also don't really mean things like the G pulchra, or P metallica, because however expensive, they are certainly available. I hope I'm getting the general thrust of my question across clearly enough :D

Also, is there much variation in rarity across the pond from europe to the USA/Canada. If so do people know what the rare european kept species are?

I'm sure there's been a few threads like this before, and I've searched around to read them, I just thought the dicussion could be sparked once more, as these things change with time.

So any thoughts on any of the above starter questions? I look forward to hearing what people have to say
:)

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would bet there isn't 3 Acanthoscurria Fracta in the U.S.I've have been running a tread
for almost 3 weeks and have yet to find someone with 1 alive.

Last edited:

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a few...

Order of Rarity of US Collections (IMHOP)
#1- P. ultramarinus (at least in the USA)
#2-Monocentropus balfouri
#3- Xenesthis sp. blue
#4-Xenesthis sp. white
#5-Pamphobeteus sp. Goliath
These would be my tops choices and I am glad to say i have owned 3 and currently own 2 of these...I think anyone would have a tough time aquiring any of these and not to mention they probably are pricey. I think they are all beautiful in their own unique way.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lampropelma nigerrium is definitely on my want to get list. I don't really own any rare Ts though. If they are strikingly colored and not widely owned they are just way too expensive! Europe can definitely import more than the U.S. or Canada! But its still not too different of a market.
TBH

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rare sp. I want to get my hands on:

x. sp. "blue"
p. smithi
p. hanumavilasumica
e. olivacea
p. everetti
l. sp. "borneo black"
c. sp. "sulawesi"
l. nigerrimum
m. balfouri
h. triseriatus
i. seladonium
h. gabonensis

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A striking list :) how many of these have you actually seen around recently? I've seen a few m balfouris sell recently here in the UK, all WC unfortunately, other than that I've not seen any of those at all.

Were they usually kept and then fell out of the hobby or have they always been rare?

x. sp. "blue"
p. smithi
p. hanumavilasumica
e. olivacea
p. everetti
l. sp. "borneo black"
c. sp. "sulawesi"
l. nigerrimum
m. balfouri
h. triseriatus
i. seladonium
h. gabonensis

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having searched around for the one's on your list, there's a Lampropelma nigerrimum for sale here in the UK, it's a 2cm sling but expensive £45.00.
Awesome looking jet black arboreal though :D

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would bet there isn't 3 Acanthoscurria Fracta in the U.S.I've have been running a tread
for almost 3 weeks and have yet to find someone with 1 alive.
dude these are around, iv seen them on price lists if you look around, most dealers dont go thru these threads.

find it indeed, if you look....
-yoda-

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We are fortunate enough to have an H. gabonensis...there's a canadian breeder who caught a couple when he went to Gabon and brought them back and bred them. He's a tiny little guy..about 1/6" but he's so fast and a great eater.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We are fortunate enough to have an H. gabonensis...there's a canadian breeder who caught a couple when he went to Gabon and brought them back and bred them. He's a tiny little guy..about 1/6" but he's so fast and a great eater.

I'm jealous. :rolleyes:

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's really interesting to see what people are wishing for out there :)

Anyone else got some other Ts to beat all others?

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm gonna throw one out:

Megaphobema peterklaasi

I haven't seen much of these in any US classifieds.

Hilikus311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone got pics?

P. smithi? I've never seen a picture of this spider, only ever heard of it wispered in corners and allys late at night btwn coaked members of an ancient sect. :wall:

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria uniformis is up there for rare pokies.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer

x. sp. "blue"
p. smithi
p. hanumavilasumica
e. olivacea
p. everetti
l. sp. "borneo black"
c. sp. "sulawesi"
l. nigerrimum
m. balfouri
h. triseriatus
i. seladonium
h. gabonensis
haha, man we have the same taste in Ts i can see!

and hillikus a p. smithi is hard to find. and ive heard this prticular pokie has or was cross bred too, making it next to impossible to find a "true p. smithi"

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poecilotheria uniformis is up there for rare pokies.

You have got to be kidding me right?

That is one pokie sp. that will probably never be in the hobby. No one even knows what it looks like. I'm pretty sure the only preserved specimen is a male and it is washed out over the many many years it has been in alcohol.

As far as p. smithi goes, there are people who have true smithi. They were cross-bred with pederseni a while back and there was alot of confusion as to who had what. But apparently over in Europe there are some untainted blood lines and I think there may even be some solid blood lines here in the states. I know of one person who has one on the boards and they just recently posted a ventral picture in the poecilotheria picture thread.

Hilikus check this thread out. I know it's on another forum, but it has so many beautiful pokies in it, including p. smithi.

Here is another link that shows pictures of p. smithi.