The OFFICIAL YouTube thread for tarantula care and husbandry channels

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
My YouTube channel predominantly features centipedes at the moment, but I'll be getting a tarantula as soon as possible.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrSANu84qtfMxs-yA9YwOw

Note: I do handle centipedes - unlike tarantulas, centipedes will get very used to handling. I do not intend to handle tarantulas of any kind, as there is much more risk to the spider, and they don't acclimate to it to the same degree.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Don't have any tarantulas yet (will be fixing that!) but here's a centipede feeding compilation.

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon
Now that Exotics Lair has surpassed the Dark Den by 50K subscribers, can anyone tell me why his channel was mostly overlooked and ignored in this discussion?

To me, it seems as though The Dark Den is so mainstream that it has lost its 'purity'. In an effort to appeal to all kinds of audiences, Petko has included videos displaying all sorts of inverts and even mammals (let alone his vlog-style escapades to random forests, caves, etc.). Exotics Lair has managed to surpass Petko's channel by over 50K, WITHOUT fancy technology, equipment and enclosures, and without having ANY poecilotheria in his collection! This is something to ponder indeed.

Exotics Lair also manages to hit millions of views on a WATERING VIDEO!! I think the key to his success is his 'purity'; meaning that he only focuses on tarantulas (at least 90% of his videos are about tarantulas). He doesn't waste our time with frogs, lizards and geckos, rodents, those damn assassin bugs, and other non-arachnids.

And I swear....if I have to see one more fricken Dark Den vlog video on a train station going from Wvlepkovich to plefkovatish....!!!

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Now that Exotics Lair has surpassed the Dark Den by 50K subscribers, can anyone tell me why his channel was mostly overlooked and ignored in this discussion?

To me, it seems as though The Dark Den is so mainstream that it has lost its 'purity'. In an effort to appeal to all kinds of audiences, Petko has included videos displaying all sorts of inverts and even mammals (let alone his vlog-style escapades to random forests, caves, etc.). Exotics Lair has managed to surpass Petko's channel by over 50K, WITHOUT fancy technology, equipment and enclosures, and without having ANY poecilotheria in his collection! This is something to ponder indeed.

Exotics Lair also manages to hit millions of views on a WATERING VIDEO!! I think the key to his success is his 'purity'; meaning that he only focuses on tarantulas (at least 90% of his videos are about tarantulas). He doesn't waste our time with frogs, lizards and geckos, rodents, those damn assassin bugs, and other non-arachnids.

And I swear....if I have to see one more fricken Dark Den vlog video on a train station going from Wvlepkovich to plefkovatish....!!!
Wow, he must have had some algorithm push on YouTube or something, or one particular vid that got that big push. Had no idea it exploded that much.

Storm1028

Arachnosquire

lol

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Talon44 but no longer about

TarantulaAddict

the rest with all the 'tarantula challenge' and all that rubbish can jog on

Minty

@londontarantulas

Not sure how you can call the Dark Den mainstream, when in the grand scheme of things it’s still operating in a niche part of the internet.

Personally, I prefer the Dark Den and I enjoy the variety of video footage that he creates, it brings another dimension of entertainment to what he’s doing. I think one of the reasons he’s been successful with his channel is due to his charisma as the host and his variety of animals, along with the shots of of things that aren’t just tarantulas.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Exotics Lair

Dark Den (He has a special place in my heart I served in Croatia with the US Army)

Tarantula Kat: very sweet person

Tom’s Big Spiders

Tarantula Haven

Jon3800; one complaint though. He needs to get some light in that room and an HD camera.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire

I don't see other pets as wasting time, but rather to reach other audiences. But how successful can it be? In general, each person only has a set amount of time to spend on watching videos, that means the other audiences (possibly other exotics pets hobbyist) have to give up on what they were watching before and start watching The Dark Den, and there are a lot of competitions.

Exotics lair and Dark Den both offers exotics pet videos as well as comedy (more comedy in Exotics Lair IMO, hence eventually more subscribers), but they are actually surprising large as tarantula channels. However, I would like to point out both channels have more and more filler episodes or scenes (mostly gift opening and unboxing). I don't think these types of videos attract the general audiences at all. Once people skip on a few videos, youtube algorithm kicks in and stop notifying the subscribers.

I really can't blame them for doing it. I don't think the majority of audiences understand how long it takes to film and edit a feeding video (or watering video for that matter). For DarkDen, 3 videos in a week is no joke at all, so eventually the content gets less exciting on average in my opinion. The Dark Den used to do shoutouts. He stopped doing it once his channel grow to a certain point. Now with many subscribers and patrons, maybe he's going to cut the gift opening or put them all together in a monthly video.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I don't see other pets as wasting time, but rather to reach other audiences. But how successful can it be? In general, each person only has a set amount of time to spend on watching videos, that means the other audiences (possibly other exotics pets hobbyist) have to give up on what they were watching before and start watching The Dark Den, and there are a lot of competitions.

Exotics lair and Dark Den both offers exotics pet videos as well as comedy (more comedy in Exotics Lair IMO, hence eventually more subscribers), but they are actually surprising large as tarantula channels. However, I would like to point out both channels have more and more filler episodes or scenes (mostly gift opening and unboxing). I don't think these types of videos attract the general audiences at all. Once people skip on a few videos, youtube algorithm kicks in and stop notifying the subscribers.

I really can't blame them for doing it. I don't think the majority of audiences understand how long it takes to film and edit a feeding video (or watering video for that matter). For DarkDen, 3 videos in a week is no joke at all, so eventually the content gets less exciting on average in my opinion. The Dark Den used to do shoutouts. He stopped doing it once his channel grow to a certain point. Now with many subscribers and patrons, maybe he's going to cut the gift opening or put them all together in a monthly video.
I love the guy in Exotics Lair when he talks to his OWs when they get defensive. I think it was his H lividum that was so pissed he was filling it's water dish it flipped itself onto its back in threat posture with the Exotics Lair guy talking to it. I love he talks to his Ts. I do that too, of course not right on them (they hate breath). My sub adult male Avic H.T. Rozovyy is very curious. He comes out of his enclosure when I go to feed or fill water and sit on top his enclosure. He leaves his little tube web to visit. I gently talk to him when he is out; sometimes he crawls up on my hat. Usually when I wear long sleeves, he hates skin contact. My cats don't know what to make of my Avic, cause they think it squirts water at them (that's me though) so they stay away when it is out. A spray bottle has multiple uses around Ts lmao.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I found that getting videos of all of my pets rather than "just" my tarantulas has been great. You get those who love them who might never of seen a Tokay gecko. They see Zeus (mine) and think he's fantastic.

Similarly when they see my spiders, centipedes, Harley Quinn my Tri coloured hognose, giant water bug, Stheno my tiger salamander, vinegaroon, scorpion, assassin bug, Typhon my Caucasian Shepherd puppy and Pandora my Senegal parrot.

Now my channel is absolutely tiny compared to the popular channels but showing other pets off is a good thing in my eyes. And obviously it works both ways. Someone might find videos of say Zeus as they love lizards and go on to watch my tarantula videos and find they're not ugly monsters but beautiful inverts.

Variety is the spice of life.