The best babboon

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
S. calceatum
P. murinus
C. darlingi/marschalli

All different characteristics, especially the P. murinus, comes charging to the surface whenever I open the enclosure. No threat pose, just saying "Hi! Is it dinner time?".
Should be P. muticus not P. murinus. Not enough coffee when I posted. [emoji6]

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
My P. murinus is a pet hole now.

The 2 slings are a nightmare

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have 3: M.balfouri, P.muticus and C.darlingi. I would say they all are interesting but I think the P.muticus takes the cake, mine is more of a foxy orange than a brown and has some very intricate tunnels. I see it pretty often and it has some attitude but nothing terrible; the balfouri is more confrontational than the muticus is. C.darlingi has puts my avics and gbb to shame in the webbing department and is pretty mellow for the most part. She also likes to lay in weird positions reminiscent of a dog and is a pretty good eater.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The title needs to be changed on the thread. 'Best baboon' (misspelled) is different than 'favorite baboon.'

gobey

Arachnoknight
The title needs to be changed on the thread. 'Best baboon' (misspelled) is different than 'favorite baboon.'
Indeed

How do we award "best baboon"?

And shy away from playing favorite baboon?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Indeed

How do we award "best baboon"?

And shy away from playing favorite baboon?
We're not even sure of criteria here to award that. Best baboon to break the bank? That's an easy one. Best baboon to start off with? Multiple genera fit that one. Best baboon to get the hobby regulated? There is one obvious choice along with a few others.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I only have the one, Boris the H. mac (although I ought to rename him 'Cockroach', as he scatters every time I shine a light in his enclosure). :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I mira!!! Trapdoor galore! And Blue Feet!!!!
They're on my wish list. What's their temperament like on a scale from 'I'd like to kill you' to 'Your entire family will be slaughtered and eaten, if my name isn't Octavius Bartholomew Thornbrough.'?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're on my wish list. What's their temperament like on a scale from 'I'd like to kill you' to 'Your entire family will be slaughtered and eaten, if my name isn't Octavius Bartholomew Thornbrough.'?
Unsure mine is tiny, they are pet holes. But their rep isn't bad, check them on YouTube. Pretty when you see them, and sneaky eaters. Mine is usually out when the room is pitch black around 3-4am.

---------- Post added 03-16-2015 at 08:53 PM ----------

Arguably not the best display species.
OP didn't ask for display. ;)

louise f

Arachnoangel
The Encyocratella olivacea i my favorite baboon, because of their outstanding colors and it's magnificent webbing.

and then there is Ceratogyrus meridionalis, Ceratogyrus darlingi.

Pelinobius muticus ( love their thick legs, i use to call them straw legs :)

Hysterocrates gigas.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I mira are super skittish, but super docile. I've held all of my I mira. Not once have my I mira given me a threat display. And I see a lot of YouTube videos of hobbyist's holding their I mira ( if it's right or not).

H pulchripes = I mira × P murinus, but with a super docile demeanor. :)

I'm not the biggest fan of baboons, but I've never had any issues, except with P. murinus. I loved my C marshalli. I bought her from a pet store completely underfed. She use to take dubia and hissers super gently from my tongs.

Last edited:

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Oh did you say baboon? I love them all, especially the nasty ones, though my obt isn't living up to the bitey part. Balfouri, H. gigas and KBs are very neat. I'm not a big fan of H. mac but thats because it seems to have misplaced itself by chewing a hole and leaving. Adults are stunners though!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I can't choose only one baboon. I think they are all pretty great.
+1. There's something special about Africa, the last stronghold of the surviving megafauna, and where our ancestors came from. All baboon spiders are fascinating to me.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Baboon spiders are just amazing. You could place any Ceratogyrus female right next to any flashy Pamphobeteus female, (including ultramurinus). And i wouldnt even pay any attention to the Pampho.