the Androctonus picture thread

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just got these in.
Let's see how many of you all can guess this species :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oOoO
the one from the country next to the western sahara :p !!! :)

i see it isnt shy about eating

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
oOoO
the one from the country next to the western sahara :p !!! :)

i see it isnt shy about eating
Yep!!! :)

And no it isn't shy about eating :cool:

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is a great pic and an excellent specimen. :) Thanks for beginning to level the playing field between us and those lucky Europeans. :D :D

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian, nice scorps!
Do you keep all your scorpions in deli cups? How big is the scorpion and the deli cup?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
That is a great pic and an excellent specimen. :) Thanks for beginning to level the playing field between us and those lucky Europeans. :D :D
Thanks Stan :)

Now hopefully at least one will be gravid so we can get these more available in the US hobby. That is my goal anyway :)
I haven't sexed them yet but I think they are all 3 females. I am also trying to breed A bicolor and A australis in case that some of those countrys close their doors to exporting their animals. I think it is something we ALL need to do. Just look at the tarantula hobby. Thanks to captive breeding there is a huge selection of species available that wouldn't be if not for people doing this several years ago.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
alex said:
Brian, nice scorps!
Do you keep all your scorpions in deli cups? How big is the scorpion and the deli cup?
Thanks Alex,
They are in delicups until I get home tonight. I have an enclosure ready for them. If you will notice, most of my pics are taken in deli cups. I have found this is about the best way to get pics of them :)

I keep some of my smaller species in the big deli cups all the time. I have pics in the enclosure thread at the top. There is also some photos of my Androctonus/Leirus set ups as well.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd have to agree that they're all female, haven't seen the tell-tale notch in the fixed finger of the chela that the males have...

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
i'd have to agree that they're all female, haven't seen the tell-tale notch in the fixed finger of the chela that the males have...
Exactly, I was looking for the same thing. I'm thinking that with three, the odds are pretty fair that at least one is gravid. :) I have my fingers crossed.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very impressive scorps.

I think the bi-colors look awesome especially. Hugely powerful cauda.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OHHHHHHHHHHH what is the first one?? Australis but with stripes? Maybe isn't it an adult.

The bicolor is execelnt. I love the very slim scorps. It has more aparence of arachnid.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
maybe those stripes are not Androctonus australis but another genus, species and kingdom :p
(Mycosis, no?)

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Androctonus_bic said:
OHHHHHHHHHHH what is the first one?? Australis but with stripes? Maybe isn't it an adult.

The bicolor is execelnt. I love the very slim scorps. It has more aparence of arachnid.
I'm pretty sure the first one is a juvenile A. australis, but not positive. I don't have a key to make sure. It might just be one of the more unusual morphs.

I know what you mean about A. bicolor. It's my favorite. It just has this look that says "Death on 8 Legs".

Michael

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,
I've seen that in more cases, it's probably mycosis.... :(

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Michael said:
Hi,
I've seen that in more cases, it's probably mycosis.... :(
I dont think thats it. It wouldnt be in perfect stripes down the back.