Ten gallon tank lid Q...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
since i dont have the money what are some good cheap ideas for 10 gallons tank lids...? thanks

DaleGribble

Arachnopeon
check the Home Depot for hardware cloth it is actually metal screen you can cut and bend to fit the aquarium. You also need heavy-duty snippers and thick gloves.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tank lids are only like 7 or 8 dollars at Wal-Mart if im not mistaken.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cut a piece of plexi to fit inside the lip of the tank. but tank lids are pretty cheap. i would make the investment in the lids and the clips for them.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just invest in the screen lids at the petstores. i don't think I'm crafty enough to construct my own...

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
screen lids....

ehhh i have screen lids on all my tanks. i have tupperware and KK's too. and one exo terra..also with screen top. i have seen two of my ts get their hooks caught on the screen though and i had to come to their rescue...not sure how long she had been there but her other feet were scrambling. i have seen both of the two that got stuck climb up on the screen and not get stuck though. the screen on the exo terra seems much finer..a avic has no problem walking all over it. all in all..im considering switching out all my screen lids for something like plexi with holes drilled

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
one thing petco is good for: lids for your tanks, about ten bucks for a wire lid with snap locks!

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
which is better a fine screen or the screen with bigger gaps? i want to prevent the t from getting tangled up with the screen. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how much does plexiglass cost?

and ya see i dont have the money for 10 screen lids right now so thats why i asked for cheap ideas..like stuff from around the house or ya...ehh

thanks for all the ideas though.

Last edited:

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think at lowes the cheapest you can get the really thin stuff is around $8. you can also find it at home depot.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
plexi

i've heard of some people getting free scraps from places before. however you not only need the plexi, you need..or should, drill some holes in it. so if you dont have a drill, thats the next step. also..the plexi wont stay there on its own...you need something to hold it down..clips...a hefty object

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what do you think about this, i cut a piece of cardboard to fit perfectly as a lid, then i poke about 2 rows of holes around the outside of the piece all the way around, and take some duck tape and tape every side with one piece of tape.

itll just be till i get the money for screen lids!

sooo what do you think......

Last edited:

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
demonhunter said:
what do you think about this, i cut a piece of cardboard to fit perfectly as a lid, then i poke about 2 rows of holes around the outside of the piece all the way around, and take some duck tape and tape every side with one piece of tape.

itll just be till i get the money for screen lids!

sooo what do you think......
My God, don't do that, if cardboard gets wet u will have a mesh potatoes lid! Even if it is dry it's not safe enough. Why did u get 10 terrariums without a lid? U had the money to buy 10 tarantulas but not 10 lids? :confused: that sounds quite irresponsable...

Potatoemoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
demonhunter said:
how much does plexiglass cost?

and ya see i dont have the money for 10 screen lids right now so thats why i asked for cheap ideas..like stuff from around the house or ya...ehh

thanks for all the ideas though.
well plexiglass is more than just going and buying a screen lid. I think I paid $20 last time I bought some. Then you have to buy something else to attach them. My local pet store sells 10gal lids for like $8 well worth it, these also don't have latches but this brand I buy fit very firmly around the tank to where I don't need them.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cloud711 said:
which is better a fine screen or the screen with bigger gaps? i want to prevent the t from getting tangled up with the screen. :)
if yer gonna use a screen top try to find a fine one....it'll help keep your critters from getting stuck....i'd definately recommend plexiglass though....

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a piece of plexiglass as a lid on one of my enclosures. its got plenty of holes drilled in it but it just sits on top of the enclosure. its slightly larger than the top and i keep my misting bottle on top of it. its been that way for about 6 months or more and ive never had a problem with it. my avic climbs all over it and around the top and has never escaped. i got it as a piece of scrap from where i work. otherwise, i wouldn't have been able to afford it...

The entire enclosure cost me about 5 bucks, including substrate and even the spider! (the spider was a gift)

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Joeyo said:
i have a piece of plexiglass as a lid on one of my enclosures. its got plenty of holes drilled in it but it just sits on top of the enclosure. its slightly larger than the top and i keep my misting bottle on top of it. its been that way for about 6 months or more and ive never had a problem with it. my avic climbs all over it and around the top and has never escaped. i got it as a piece of scrap from where i work. otherwise, i wouldn't have been able to afford it...

The entire enclosure cost me about 5 bucks, including substrate and even the spider! (the spider was a gift)
I think that's ok when you live by your self but if you live with childrens and pets around you....i will definetly think it twice before putting just some water bottle on top of my lid....don't take it personal i don't mean to ofend you but...that's just not safe for me..:cool:

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would think the reason t's get stuck on screen is by getting they're hooks caught between the wires were they cross. The finer stuff would seem like it would be worse , it has more intersections. The better lids are powder coated, sealing up the intersecting wires and preventing corrosion. The nylon 'dog proof' sceen at hardware stores is fully coated with some kind of rubbery material (urethane?), would work well though it's very flexible and may be hard to mount.
I also noticed someone on the enclosure thread had pictures with what looked like painted pegboard for tank lids. Not much of a view but pretty cheap and pre perfed. You can cut it by scoreing with a knife and breaking off.

Last edited:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
**whispers so Sheri wont notice her and add her to the "list"**
Wal-mart has some lids that have wire screen as well as that black plastic for 7 bucks... 6.98 or something AND they have locks!! I put my male blondi from HELL in a 10 gal with that lid and he couldnt push it off or unlock it.
Cardboard or other stuff you have to get more things to make them work will just end up costing you the same. Just go buy them, one at a time if you have to, now GIT...go get some!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fscorpion- i have the Ts in 2.5 gallons right now but it seems a lil crowded so i want my Ts to walk around so im deciding to trade the 2.5 gallons in for 10 gallons, same prices 50 bux for 5 2.5 gallon tanks and 50 bux for 5 10 gallon tanks. i just dont have the money for the lids so maybe ill just trade one at a time and go buy a lid from walmart like oldhag said!

THANKS EVERYONE!