Ten gallon tank lid Q...

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
demonhunter said:
fscorpion- i have the Ts in 2.5 gallons right now but it seems a lil crowded so i want my Ts to walk around so im deciding to trade the 2.5 gallons in for 10 gallons, same prices 50 bux for 5 2.5 gallon tanks and 50 bux for 5 10 gallon tanks. i just dont have the money for the lids so maybe ill just trade one at a time and go buy a lid from walmart like oldhag said!

THANKS EVERYONE!
Well, that sounds more reasonable, but what about glass lids? Glass is very cheap (but I have no idea how much it costs there) I make all my lids out of glass...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im not really sure on the glass prices here, does anyone know the glass prices here in cali?

mark poznak

Arachnopeon
wuts nice for terresterial species is those 12 ten gallon tanks.....there not 5s there tens but half as tall..if that makes sense... but thats not a real solution 2 ure problem but they are nice if u dont have alot of space

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
where do you get them?

got any pics from a website or something?

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
billopelma said:
I would think the reason t's get stuck on screen is by getting they're hooks caught between the wires were they cross. The finer stuff would seem like it would be worse , it has more intersections. The better lids are powder coated, sealing up the intersecting wires and preventing corrosion. The nylon 'dog proof' sceen at hardware stores is fully coated with some kind of rubbery material (urethane?), would work well though it's very flexible and may be hard to mount.
I also noticed someone on the enclosure thread had pictures with what looked like painted pegboard for tank lids. Not much of a view but pretty cheap and pre perfed. You can cut it by scoreing with a knife and breaking off.

i see what you are saying...but i have seen one walk all over the finer screen on the exo terra...and two walk and not get stuck..but have been stuck once or twice on the regular screens

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
U had the money to buy 10 tarantulas but not 10 lids? :confused: that sounds quite irresponsable...
i agree:clap: B responsible
i want ten more Ts but wouldn't consider getting even one if I didn't have a proper set up first

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tarangela2 said:
i agree:clap: B responsible
i want ten more Ts but wouldn't consider getting even one if I didn't have a proper set up first

lol read down further i cleared it up

spideromaniac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Best lid for a 10 gal..

I tried it all, cardboard, screen, plexiglass, mesh etc..
The best and cheapest is a piece of glass.
All my tanks have a 3 mil glass with cut corners.
It is just the best, it will keep the humidity trap inside the tank, the t's won't get stuck on it like a screen or mesh.
And it won't warp and bent like plexigass does.
plus it is so cheap it not even funny.
Cost me $4 per lid.
Glass rules!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
awesome do you have holes in yours? where do you get yours at?

got any pics?'

thanks!

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, come on, you don't have specialized stores that work with glass???
You don't drill holes, that is too expensive and very hard to be done. Like spideromaniac said you can cut the corners of the glass, but you have to be very carefull so that you don't cut them too much because the tarantula could escape. I have also had a tarantula lifting the lid, so be very carefull, the terrarium has to be big, they can't lift a ten gallon lid, but be carefull with a few gallon tanks...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i dont really get what you mean cutting the edges so pics would be nice please!? and no ive never really needed glass to know where to buy some.

mark poznak

Arachnopeon
the short ten gallons i got at an expo they were like 8 bux a pop maybe less some were made on a monday cause the silicone was a lil heavy in some spots.. i dont know where to get them i got em in white plains NY. as for the glass tops that might make the air a lil stagnate and culture mold but the corner cutting may just do the trick. plexi is easier to play with u can use a regular drill bit and make sum lil holes and if u get clumsy the plexi wont shatter or cut u from the sharp corners good luck

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Juliancito said:
I think that's ok when you live by your self but if you live with childrens and pets around you....i will definetly think it twice before putting just some water bottle on top of my lid....don't take it personal i don't mean to ofend you but...that's just not safe for me..:cool:
no offence taken. I don't have children and the enclosure is well guarded from pets.

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
demonhunter said:
i dont really get what you mean cutting the edges so pics would be nice please!? and no ive never really needed glass to know where to buy some.
You don't know what "cutting the 4 edges of rectangular piece of glass" means? Well...ask someone in the store, I think that's less bothering than sending pictures...they will know...

spideromaniac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Galss lid with cut corners...

I tried to attach a picture for you,
but I am still rather new to this forum.
So hopefully I did this the right way.
Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

spideromaniac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes I did it, got a picture there for you to see.
Hope it will help you guys in your quest for the perfect lid.
Works perfectly for me, I must have close to one hundred 10 gal tank with this type of lid.

***Do not get them made of anything less than a 3 mil glass, the bigger the T the thicker the lid should be.
A adult female B.Smithi has open one once that was made out of a 3 mil glass.
A 5 mil is now on her vivarium and is heavy enough, now she can't get out.
Good luck.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
very nice can the store clerks cut it or do i have to cut it?

spideromaniac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They cut and polish them for me.
And it will control the humidity level perfectly.
It just is the best, try it, you will see.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
haha alright ill see if i can find a glass shop around here. THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!