"Tarantulas come in every color... Except green"

cold blood

Staff member
On a serious note... could the 90% male sacs be due to different temps at incubation like in some reptiles? It seems weird if the wild population is 90% male.
90% isn't a scientifically proven number...it was just a number I threw out to Mrs Haas to illustrate just how male heavy they seem to be.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Avicularia sp. "kwitara", Phormictopus sp. "Green", Psalmopoeus cambridgei, Thrixopelma pruriens and Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi are all quite green. Plus lots of others have bits and pieces of green. No bright green tarantulas as of yet though. Maybe one day. I'm sure there are many beautiful species waiting to be found in the rainforests of Central Africa - I don't believe many species have been described from there yet (due to political instability).

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. "kwitara", Phormictopus sp. "Green", Psalmopoeus cambridgei, Thrixopelma pruriens and Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi are all quite green. Plus lots of others have bits and pieces of green. No bright green tarantulas as of yet though. Maybe one day. I'm sure there are many beautiful species waiting to be found in the rainforests of Central Africa - I don't believe many species have been described from there yet (due to political instability).
You know, I always wondered why there are no (discovered) leaf colored green tarantulas. I would assume it would help with camouflage in so many instances...

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
He's mature. He has his emboli. You can't always count on hooks.
No hooks yet tho... I think next molt hell hook out...
Also, he's only 5" I was under the impression males get up to 6-7" and females can grow to 10"

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He's mature. He has his emboli. You can't always count on hooks.
Omg he does!! I totally missed that. I didn't see hooks so I figure he had another molt in him... Well at least maybe I'll get to see him if he starts roaming...

cold blood

Staff member
Omg he does!! I totally missed that. I didn't see hooks so I figure he had another molt in him... Well at least maybe I'll get to see him if he starts roaming...
That's why many of us (poec and myself in particular) are constantly urging people not to look for hooks....emboli are in the same obvious place on every single MM. I equate looking for hooks (instead of the actual sex organs) to be like looking at a person's adams apple to determine sex...yeah, it may work, but its a lot easier to look between a person's legs;)

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are plenty of green tarantulas. It's just not the green your looking for lol. Mrs. Haas we've had "The Talk";) you know what you should be looking for :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are no uniformly, bright green Ts known to science at this point in time. I've searched. There's no species that exists that fits what I'm thinking of. Poec and I have discussed this often.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is that bamboo? That's a beautiful setup!
No it's a stick from our yard I believe... And the background is made of foam, cork board, and moss. Again if u really want the details contact my hubby @raggamuffin415 he's really into it and has lots of info or Che k out the enclosure forum, I believe there's a section on AB that people talk enclosures - check it out, lots of good info!