Tarantula molting upright looks like its taken out of sci-fi movie!

Dimitri Kambas

Arachnopeon
Get ready to be blown away. This is not CGI but a Xenesthis sp White molting upright. Was lucky to get the footage and especially the detail of the carapace muscles pumping fluid into the legs. Enjoy

[video=youtube;sFo4xXzsQhU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFo4xXzsQhU[/video]

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Awesome video, well worth the watch.

What equipment did you use? Tell us about the process you went about to get such great footage? Surely you did not stand there with a camera the entire time?

Dimitri Kambas

Arachnopeon
Had the spider at my office and while I was working I noticed the abdomen had torn, I quickly set up my tripod with Sony Handycam with built in hard drive which allowed me to shoot full HD for 10 consecutive hours. I sat there for 10 hours and watched the whole process while changing camera angles and zoom levels to get the more detailed shots.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That was fascinating, and not only that, you shot documentary-class footage in my opinion. Nice job!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That was amazing. That was crazy to see its chelicerae out all the way and downward like a true spiders. The music fit the video perfect! I am curious as to what makes them decide to molt like this, instead of on their back. I would love to see more either way!

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
Had the spider at my office and while I was working I noticed the abdomen had torn, I quickly set up my tripod with Sony Handycam with built in hard drive which allowed me to shoot full HD for 10 consecutive hours. I sat there for 10 hours and watched the whole process while changing camera angles and zoom levels to get the more detailed shots.
Wonderful dedication on your part. Thanks for sharing your footage. (And nice music, too. It's one of my favorites.)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Best 6 mins of my life xD so neat! And as said nice music oairing. Glad wasnt some screamo or rap. beautiful choice for a beautiful T doing what nature entended

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
!!WoW!! So !!WoW!! you get dancing monkeys....

:3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3:

Great job!!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
And as said nice music oairing. Glad wasnt some screamo or rap.
Yeah, that was another good feature. I stop watching a lot of videos that would otherwise be interesting on that account. It seems like the videographers want to make the point "Hey! tarantulas are like, extreme pets, man! So I sound-tracked with loud, extreme music!" There's nothing wrong with those other music styles if that's what you like, but I really don't see where they go hand-in-hand with tarantulas.
Especially with feeding videos. Whenever I make a video of my snake feeding, I use classical "dinner" music. I believe I used the piece that was used in Dimitri's video a time or two in fact.
I'm not interested in making feeding time seem like an act of savagery. Plus most classical music is often public domain so it won't get removed from places like YouTube. Facebook is even stricter it seems.
In this case delicate music went very well with the delicate procedure of moulting.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I gotta say, excellent vid! Nice camera work! Great detail and probably one of the best, if not the best, molting video ever shot. If your phone rings, it's probably NatGeo calling about a cameraman position! Seriously, well done!!! I estimate I will watch this a few hundred times before I die and use it as a tool to show others how the process looks. Thank you!! Also, as others have stated, the music selection was spot on and in many other cases has ruined a great video.

Damon

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Keeping rolling out the good videos :biggrin:. Excellent ! Upright molts are pretty rare too.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Beautiful! Looked absolutely exhausting from here, so I can't imagine that amount of work for the T. Many thanks for sharing with all of us!

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is simply astounding. Thank you so much for sharing.

Tarantulas are such beautiful creatures. It's almost like there was a flashlight shining from inside its body.

Dimitri Kambas

Arachnopeon
I actually don't think I ever got a post moult photo! I was so excited with the video and totally forgot :)

lawrencebugboy

Arachnopeon
Neat video. Interesting how striking the new skin colors are compared to its previous one. How long did it take for it to molt?