Tarantula for a six year old

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Mod Note

Nothing rude has been said in this thread, and we are keeping an eye on it now to make sure it stays that way. Just a heads up to keep it on topic, and not start fighting over who is "rude" and who isn't.

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
Like everyone has said already, a better picture is needed. I KNOW YOUR ON IT!!! :D but I would have to agree the leg hairs kinda look fluffed up which makes me think B. albo. If thats the case at least its just an albo. Nevertheless, a 6 year old probably would be better off with holding a puppy haha

diversipes

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking G. pulchra or B. albopilosum. Usually a docile tarantula as with any Grammastola/Brachy specie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I would recommend informing them of the risks of handling the T (including u-hairs, biting, dropping and killing the T, escapes, etc.) and advising them to keep it as a look but don't touch pet. I don't see any reason the kid can't have the T, particularly if the parents also learn about it and can supervise him, but I would be a little leery about letting him hold it. Although, it's not like the T can do too much serious, lasting harm to the kid. Worse case scenario for the kid I can imagine is getting u-hairs in his eyes, which will be painful and costly but (I believe) treatable. Worse case for the spider is it bites the kid who flings it across the room and kills it.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brachypelma albopilosum maybe .....maybe with supervision .

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I work at a pet store and I don't like to sell hamsters to kids that young if they want to hold a pet. Guinea pigs, rats or nothin'. A 6 yr old with a T is an accident promising to happen.

meghanbe

Arachnopeon
I don't see a problem with a six-year-old "having" a T as long as the parent is heavily involved in the care and handling is not encouraged (or else is heavily, heavily supervised). My son turned seven in May. I bought him his first T, a G. pulchra sling, in April. He never opens the enclosure without me around and we have never handled her. I think whether this can work depends a lot upon the kid. I trust my son not to do anything stupid with the T's. He cares about his pets deeply and doesn't want anything bad to happen to them. And he has a very healthy level of respect for tarantulas. I make sure to involve him in the care and maintenance of all our spiders so that he's learning good husbandry. I allow him to feed "his" T's (Grammastolas, all...pulchra, pulchripes, and rosea) using tongs. He watches me feed the faster and/or more defensive T's in my collection, which lets him see the proper way to interact with them. I am teaching him caution and vigilance around all T's, which will serve him well if he continues in the hobby in the future. I've made sure to impress upon him that T's are more of a "look but don't touch" kind of pet, and he seems to accept that (though I know he wants to try handling his G. pulchripes at some point in the future...which is fine with me, as long as she continues to seem docile).

So, for me, it's not as though a 6-year-old should never "own" a T, but it depends a lot upon the child, the T, and how involved the parent(s) are willing to be. I'm comfortable with the fact that my son has a small collection because I did my research and know that I've chosen harmless species for him (except the G. rosea, which my partner picked up on impulse with a GBB for me at the San Jose reptile expo a couple weekends ago...that guy gave my son and I our first real threat display last night, lol), and I trust that cages will never be opened unless I'm around. My son is the most enthusiastic T-lover I know, after me, and allowing him to have a personal stake in the hobby has really ignited his passion and interest. He knows the scientific names of nearly every spider in the house, and feeding time is always great fun and a lot of bonding.

It doesn't sound like these parents have done their homework if they don't know what kind of T they've got, so I agree this situation is worrisome. And allowing a six-year-old to frequently handle a T worries me as well. But I don't think T's for younger kids is out of the question. Not if the kid--and the parent--is responsible about it.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
photo.JPG

I assumed that the T was wild caught , but might have assumed that incorrectly . After increasing the image size and running it through a filter or two this is what I got . The arrow points at what sure does look like a very wooly leg . I have to go with an albo . I still believe that letting a six year old handle a T isn't the best idea but I like the idea of younger people and kids getting the chance to become a part of the hobby . Like anything it should be done under close adult supervision .

SpidaFly

Arachnopeon
I still believe that letting a six year old handle a T isn't the best idea but I like the idea of younger people and kids getting the chance to become a part of the hobby . Like anything it should be done under close adult supervision .
Definitely. Of course it depends on the sanity/stability of the 6 year old, too. I've met 6 year olds that come off as more intelligent and collected than most 18 year olds. On the other hand, most aren't.

I'm a big fan of getting kids into bugs, herps, etc. at early age though. Too many children grow up in homes that are so over-protective and stifling that it may as well be considered abuse. I'm a product of such a home, and I didn't learn to enjoy life until I was ~28. I hate to see that happening to any child. Children should be exposed to a broad array of possible interests so that THEY can chose what THEY want to get into later in life. It is THEIR life, not that of the parent or would-be guardian. Don't cut off avenues of exploration.

Just make sure the animal isn't in any danger - because a wild child is no fair to any animal, I don't care if it's a huge fuzzy mammal or a tiny invert.

Shell

Staff member
I assumed that the T was wild caught , but might have assumed that incorrectly.
This part of the OP leads me to understand that it is not WC, but hey I myself have been guilty of reading too fast (or not all of a post) and misunderstanding, so no harm done.

I guess they got it from a friend who didn't want it anymore so they gave it to this kid to care for

charm271

Arachnosquire
It is either a B. albo or G. pulchra, either way this species that is ok for children in my opinion. However if you are worried about either bites or hairs maybe a dwarf species would make you feel more at ease. The chilean flame tarantula (Euathlus sp. red/flame) has very small fangs, mild venom, and is very docile. They are also easy to keep needs no more than a small enclosure, a small water dish, a small hide (i.e. a small flower pot or cup), and some soil (peat moss, potting soil, etc must be pesticide free). This youtube video show the Tarantula with a young girl.

[YOUTUBE]FkHLxQGxhlg[/YOUTUBE]

FYI I have a 7 year old son and I allow his to handle all my Brachypelma, Euathlus, and Grammostola species. Make sure you test your tarantula's mood before by touching on the abdomen with a paintbrush if it give you a threat pose (note the picture) do not touch it.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Doesn't really look like a G. pulchra... B. albopilosum seems much more likely given the lighter colored setae on the abdomen and legs.

Shell

Staff member
Agreed that the spider looks nothing like a G. pulchra. Better pics would definitely help.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, here is another picture. Not sure if it is any better though.... photo(1).jpg

Shell

Staff member
Yeah, that definitely looks B. albopilosum to me also.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WOW, you guys are amazing! Thanks! Off to learn more about this girl.... thank you. :)