Tarantula for a six year old

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My friend's nephew brought this tarantula home. He is only 6 years old! He said his name is "Mustache" and it is a girl, 9 years old........But they have NO clue what kind of tarantula it is and he keeps holding it. Kind of upsets me.......well...actually it does upset me. I filled them in on the urticating hairs - but I would really like to know what kind this is. I know the picture is a little blurry, I will try to have them send me a better one. She molted today just fine, so I guess they are caring for it okay. I guess they got it from a friend who didn't want it anymore so they gave it to this kid to care for......Unfortunately they live in another state or I would go get it. Any idea what kind she is?

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Does the hair on the legs curl upwards?

Later, Tom

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never seen it physically so I only know what is in the picture. Interesting question, I never knew that was part of identifying a tarantula!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The picture reminds me of Brachypelma albopilosum. but since its not a great pic, it good be anything. B. albopilosum is the only spider that I know of that has that feature, and is where the name
"Curly Hair tarantula" comes from.

Later, Tom

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ask for a couple more pics. You should also inform them on how to properly set up the tank for it.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, I will ask for better pictures and post them when I get them. I just want to make sure they are caring for it properly once I find out what it is. Never knew what curly haired meant.....see you learn something new every day.:)

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Theres a species of tarantula called the curly hair tarantula. I definitely dont think a 6 year old should handle a tarantula whether its venom is harmful or not. Im just a newbie, but Ive seen a black tarantula that looks like this called Borneo Black. Look it up.

Nikki1984

Arachnosquire
Theres a species of tarantula called the curly hair tarantula. I definitely dont think a 6 year old should handle a tarantula whether its venom is harmful or not. Im just a newbie, but Ive seen a black tarantula that looks like this called Borneo Black. Look it up.
Not a Borneo Black it's a NW of some kind. Better pictures are definitely needed and hopefully the parents are responsible and will educate themselves.

anitec21

Arachnopeon
I really dont recommended tarantulas for kids unless adult supervision on handling. Ts should be considered skittish and defensive at times.

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not even close to a lampropelma. Horrible idea for a 6 yr old.

annabelle

Arachnosquire
it kind of looks like a Brachypelma albopilosum to me... it looks pretty dark for an albo, though... but that could have just been the lighting. better pictures would help. :)

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
What state and what part of the state do they live in ? That is very helpful in giving and ID . Also DON'T let a six year old hold a tarantula .

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's tough to tell from the picture but I think it looks like B. albopilosum. One thing's for sure. It isn't a Borneo Black.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are in Las Vegas. I know, I don't know what people are thinking. When she told me her nephew got a tarantula (on the phone) I said I wanted to talk to him about caring for it, and this little kid gets on the phone. I'm like what the heck? She will be visiting them next weekend and said she would get some clear pictures then. I just wish people would think first. This isn't a toy for heaven's sake....

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unless it is locally WC it will not help at all. I didn't see that stated by the OP.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry for trying to help .

Well Boris, I appreciate your input. Check back when I get more pictures....and do what I do on here, just ignore the rude people. It was nice of you to ask questions, that is how we learn.