Tarantula disturbed while on back

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I see nothing to worry about...I was just explaining their hairing method...it throws a lot of new keepers when they experience it.

You own a t:)
That is true. And I own 3 Ts and the other 2 are good and healthy. But this girl isn’t. And now I’m wondering if it’s a mature male. Anyway I’d be able to tell?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ok so I’ve been giving my versicolor cricket soup (for some reason she’ll only let me put her on her back if she’s laying on my hand) and she got up, put the bottom of her carapace onto one of my fingers, then pressed her fangs into it, not like she was biting but pushing them out with the front against my skin. I let her do it because (this probably sounds weird) I trust her and know she wouldn’t just randomly bite me. Now she’s just moving her fangs around. Should I be worried by any of this? Happy about any of it (minus the fact that I think I got a little bit in her)?

OH AND I THINK SHE ATE A WHOLE WAX WORM THAT I CUT IN HALF LAST NIGHT
Good to read she's eating. If she keeps eating by herself there's no need to (force) feed her cricket soup.

The abdomen pressing to your hand was her/him pressing his/her urticating hairs into your skin. It's the Avicularia-way of saying ''leave me alone human!" ;)
If it was me, I'd be scratching my hands compulsively by now...

For sexing, take a picture of the ends of her/his pedipalps and post it here, if it has the bulbous hooks like Cold Blood posted, we'll be able to tell really quick :)

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Good to read she's eating. If she keeps eating by herself there's no need to (force) feed her cricket soup.

The abdomen pressing to your hand was her/him pressing his/her urticating hairs into your skin. It's the Avicularia-way of saying ''leave me alone human!" ;)
If it was me, I'd be scratching my hands compulsively by now...

For sexing, take a picture of the ends of her/his pedipalps and post it here, if it has the bulbous hooks like Cold Blood posted, we'll be able to tell really quick :)
Awesome. Thanks. And I’m not irritated at all by what she did....

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
So i was wrong about her eating those wax worms, someone took them out. but i just got home and saw a headless cricket up wither her and some cricket meat sticking out of her mouth!!! i put that cricket in a few days ago ALIVE. SO SHES STARTED EATING AGAIN YAY.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
So i was wrong about her eating those wax worms, someone took them out. but i just got home and saw a headless cricket up wither her and some cricket meat sticking out of her mouth!!! i put that cricket in a few days ago ALIVE. SO SHES STARTED EATING AGAIN YAY.
Good to hear! Hopefully that's the first of many and she starts putting on some size! :)

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Good to hear! Hopefully that's the first of many and she starts putting on some size! :)
I hope so too. It looks like the body was separated from the head by her venom (or whatever it is they use to liquify their prey) by it dissolving and falling off. Cause I checked and the head is in her mouth right now. Almost like she’s trying to eat it whole. But she’s attempting to eat which is a good sign.

SHE HAS THE CRICKET IN HER MOUTH

Last edited by a moderator:

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
My versicolor i made this post about months ago has eaten between 5 and 10 crickets since all this and shes doing good. thank you all so much for helping me with this. shes doing much better and wont be leaving the home shes in now ever. thank you

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
She’s eaten many more crickets and she accepted the cockroach I gave her. It’s the first one in at least a year she’s accepted. I’m feeding her often now until she’s at a healthy size again. She’s also made herself a nice tunnel web and I’m adding more clutter for her soon. As I sit and watch her I’m so glad she’s doing good now. Thank you all so much for helping me. I can’t say that enough.