Tarantula disturbed while on back

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I have a half grown female Antilles tarantula. When I got up a couple days ago I found her on her back on top of her water dish (it has a sponge so she was fine). I knew what her being on her back meant so I rushed to get all the crickets that were in there out. But in the process of that it spooked her and she slowly flipped over. She hadn’t started to come out of her exoskeleton in any way when this happened but I know them being on their back means they’re at least beginning the process of molting. This was 2 days ago and she’s been extremely sluggish and hasn’t attempted to molt again and I’m a bit panicky. She has moved around a bit though, but she’s extremely slow and seems to have a difficult time holding herself up. Is there anything I should do to try and help her? Just give her time? Try and gently put her on her back? Anything at all? I’ve made sure her humidity and temperature are good.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I found her on her back on top of her water dish (it has a sponge so she was fine)
No need for a sponge, she won’t drown. Sponges are just breeding grounds for bacteria.
I rushed to get all the crickets that were in there out.
Don’t leave feeders in for more than 24 hours so you can avoid situations like this in the future. Also, feeders like crickets can eat a molting tarantula.
Is there anything I should do to try and help her? Just give her time? Try and gently put her on her back? Anything at all?
No, just leave her be, there’s not really anything you can do.
I’ve made sure her humidity and temperature are good.
I hope that doesn’t translate into wet substrate, the use of a hygrometer and a heat lamp/pad. Tarantulas do fine at room temp and Avicularia/ex Avicularia sp are supposed to be kept dry.

cold blood

Staff member
Lots of red flags in this post.

1. Common name.....C. versicolor I presume. Scientific names are more helpful.

2. Sponge in the water dish....take that out, a water dish needs water, nothing else....tarantulas dont drown, they float.

3. Rushed to get all the crickets out.

You should never have crickets running around, and absolutely not a bunch....feed it one cricket at a time, they dont need much or to be fed all that often.

4. A versi on its back in a dish is often indicative of a fall, they tend to molt at elevated positions, in a web tube.

5. Made sure temp and humidity were good.

Temps just need to be 70, and can be as high as 90. High humidity kills these ts....humidity shouldnt be paid attention to....ventilation is most important.

This t housed in a stuffy, high humidity enclosure would slowly die, and act much like you describe.

Post pics of the enclosure....explain your temp and humidity efforts as well as the leg span of the t.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Can you please post pictures of the spider and the full enclosure she's in? There's a lot of red flags in your description, so I'm a little worried that it might not be trying to molt and may actually be a health concern. You sound like you may be the victim of some very bad care advice.

I originally wrote out a lot more, but @spookyvibes and @cold blood covered everything. Follow their advice and everything should hopefully work out.

boina

Lady of the mites
Just to emphasize: It is really not clear from your post if your are talking about an attempted molt or a dying tarantula. A healthy arboreal tarantula that is attempting a molt on a sponge in a water dish?? Not likely.

The red flags have been covered, but this really does not sound good at all.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
She is a Caribena versicolor. She has about a 3 inch leg span. It’s a newer enclosure so she doesn’t really have anywhere up high to molt. It’s an aquarium, terrarium combination. Water for most the bottom then a branch that goes out over the water. The dirt area is separated from the water by acrylic and silicone. It’s a 24 gallon front opening terrarium enclosure. I had put the cricket in the night before I found her so they weren’t in there for long. There is plenty of ventilation and she’s kept at room temperature. The water dish is one I’ve used for her since she was big enough to have one. I can change it out with a different one though. The substrate is newer so it’s still moist but I wait for it to completely dry before misting or anything.

Not sure on how to get a photo on a mobile device...

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
She is a Caribena versicolor. She has about a 3 inch leg span. It’s a newer enclosure so she doesn’t really have anywhere up high to molt. It’s an aquarium, terrarium combination. Water for most the bottom then a branch that goes out over the water. The dirt area is separated from the water by acrylic and silicone. It’s a 24 gallon front opening terrarium enclosure. I had put the cricket in the night before I found her so they weren’t in there for long. There is plenty of ventilation and she’s kept at room temperature.

Not sure on how to get a photo on a mobile device...
To upload photos, click "Upload a File" underneath the comment text bar, then "Choose File", then it should give you the option to either take a new picture or upload one from your files.

I know I've seen tutorials on YouTube about setting up arboreal tarantulas with water on the bottom instead of substrate, but I honestly think that's a terrible idea. Unless you made more than one side completely mesh (which is dangerous for any tarantula, even arboreals), there's no way it would provide enough ventilation.

I can't tell if you mean that she didn't have enough decor up top to molt, or if you mean she hadn't webbed up enough up top to molt, but if you've had her for a few days, I would have expected her to rush to make a quick den or at least molting mat in order to molt up top where she'd be more comfortable and safer. Based on your description, I'm more inclined to believe that she's suffering from her environment rather than molting

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
She has made a small silk mat but not enough to fully support her. When I get home I’ll upload pictures
Yeah that's not a good setup for a versicolor. The water is unnecessary and without really good ventilation will create a stuffy environment as it evaporates. It's also very barren, the spider has nowhere to hide or create a proper web tube. You'd be much better off using that enclosure for something else and rehousing your spider.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I did recently Change her light fixture to a different one. And I’m wondering if that could’ve caused anything cause it’s aN aquarium T5 for 2 flourecents. It also creates a little more heat but the basement is a cold place. The light is only for a good day/night difference cause she’s in a dark basement and for the plants. And the reason I believe it was molting is because she hasn’t eaten in months. So many that I don’t remember the last time she did. Along with her abdomen looking tiny and shrunk compared to before

Yeah that's not a good setup for a versicolor. The water is unnecessary and without really good ventilation will create a stuffy environment as it evaporates. It's also very barren, the spider has nowhere to hide or create a proper web tube. You'd be much better off using that enclosure for something else and rehousing your spider.
Thanks. Do you think it would be ok to just add more branches and things for her to climb on? My only other option is to put her back in her tiny 3 gallon that she seemed really unhappy in. Evey single time I gave her the chance she was happy to come out and just run around. And when I first put her in here she was happy but then I found her on her back and that’s the only unusual thing she’s done. And I don’t know what kind of wood the branches are but they are a hard wood that won’t rot. Also, I’ve done some research and it says C. Versicolor should have a 70%-80% humidity, is that to high?

Here are some better pictures showing her size, I know it was probably a bad idea but I tapped her butt and she quickly moved how she usually would. I then picked her up so that I could she her abdomen size. She almost bit me which is something to note because she has never once put her legs up or shown her fangs. She has always been this sweet gentle thing. I let her calm down then she crawled around my hand for a few seconds and then back onto her newer webbing between the base of the branch and the plants to the right of it. When putting her back and when she was crawling around she was putting her little spindlers on me and the brach. Watching her move around it now seems a little like a confidence issue.... and I hope that’s all it is

Attachments

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Also, I’ve done some research and it says C. Versicolor should have a 70%-80% humidity, is that to high?
Yes absolutely. They should be kept on dry substrate with good ventilation. Too much humidity just breeds bacteria in a stuffy condition. Stuffy enclosures have killed more avics and their cousins than anything else. A 3 gallon should be more than adequate, as long as it's taller than it is wide. These guys like climbing space as they are an arboreal species. The ideal enclosure would have bone dry substrate, and a piece of cork bark in at an angle for it to stretch out on and hunt from. Good ventilation is a must as well. From looking at the spider it looks like your "her" might be a "he," can you post a picture of the pedipalps? It may not be eating because it's matured and is in search of a female.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Yes absolutely. They should be kept on dry substrate with good ventilation. Too much humidity just breeds bacteria in a stuffy condition. Stuffy enclosures have killed more avics and their cousins than anything else. A 3 gallon should be more than adequate, as long as it's taller than it is wide. These guys like climbing space as they are an arboreal species. The ideal enclosure would have bone dry substrate, and a piece of cork bark in at an angle for it to stretch out on and hunt from. Good ventilation is a must as well. From looking at the spider it looks like your "her" might be a "he," can you post a picture of the pedipalps? It may not be eating because it's matured and is in search of a female.
Wait seriously..!?? I took her molt in to a local exotic pet shop, where I got her, and was show how to sex them that way... and according to that it’s a female.... I’m not saying you’re wrong at all though. You know more then me. What makes you think it’s a male?

boina

Lady of the mites
There's absolutely no way your tarantula will survive that enclosure for long. The humidity from the aquarium will kill her for sure and she has really no way to make a proper web. That's about the worst idea I've ever seen for a tarantula enclosure.

Watching her move around it now seems a little like a confidence issue.... and I hope that’s all it is
Really?? A confidence issue is your excuse for keeping a spider in the worst and most inapropriate enclosure I've ever seen?

I’ve done some research and it says C. Versicolor should have a 70%-80% humidity, is that to high?
It's a very good way to kill your spider.

Wait seriously..!?? I took her molt in to a local exotic pet shop, where I got her, and was show how to sex them that way... and according to that it’s a female.... I’m not saying you’re wrong at all though. You know more then me. What makes you think it’s a male?
It may not be a male - it may just be dying from absolutely improper care. It's extremely thin and should either be ravenous (it isn't), a male, or dying.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
What makes you think it’s a male?
It looks pretty leggy to me and isn't eating, both typical characteristics of a mature male. Also, pet shops really aren't the most reliable for anything related to tarantulas.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
It may not be a male - it may just be dying from absolutely improper care. It's extremely thin and should either be ravenous (it isn't), a male, or dying.
Wel
well crap. I’ll move her out of it immediately

It looks pretty leggy to me and isn't eating, both typical characteristics of a mature male. Also, pet shops really aren't the most reliable for anything related to tarantulas.
That is true. That why I came here.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry that set up is ridiculous. Are you keeping another pet in the water portion? There's no need to combine it like that. Get the spider out of there immediately and into something taller than it is wide. Dry substrate, several web anchors like branches (just not ceder) and a water dish.

Edit: I see the axolotl now and that worries me even more, they need colder temperatures. Like below 20 c. The tarantula will prefer warmer ones. This whole setup is a disaster.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
A
There's absolutely no way your tarantula will survive that enclosure for long. The humidity from the aquarium will kill her for sure and she has really no way to make a proper web. That's about the worst idea I've ever seen for a tarantula enclosure.

Really?? A confidence issue is your excuse for keeping a spider in the worst and most inapropriate enclosure I've ever seen?

It's a very good way to kill your spider.
and I’m saying that as a way to describe her behavior when moving. Not as an excuse. I care about her more then myself. And if that humidity is too high tell me what it should be at, not that’s just that it’ll kill her.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
She has made a small silk mat but not enough to fully support her. When I get home I’ll upload pictures. The bottom is also about 1/4 if that coconut fiber substrate
As I expected, that's not really a suitable enclosure for her. The excess water is likely too much for her. She also won't be able to make a proper web den in that because there simply isn't enough decor in there for her to do so.

And the reason I believe it was molting is because she hasn’t eaten in months. So many that I don’t remember the last time she did. Along with her abdomen looking tiny and shrunk compared to before
Her abdomen shrinking is not indicative of premolt. The abdomen would get smaller AFTER a successful molt, not before. A shrinking abdomen not related to a recent molt is usually indicative of either dehydration or starving. A starving tarantula is not a healthy tarantula.

Also, I’ve done some research and it says C. Versicolor should have a 70%-80% humidity, is that to high?
Completely ignore anything about humidity when it comes to tarantulas. Especially with Avics, Caribena sp. and other "pinktoes". Focusing on humidity will kill your spider. There used to be a belief that these species required high humidity to survive. This has since been disproven, but unfortunately the care sheets have not been altered.

THIS is an Avic (not a versicolor, but the care is identical) in premolt. Note how it's webbed to high heaven:
20180717_150738.jpg

This is how I keep my C. versicolor. She is roughly the same size as yours is if yours is 3 inches. I have her housed in an old "cheese ball" snack tub, with ventilation holes poked all over the enclosure, and a few larger screen vents on the top and side. It could probably use more ventilation, but since the substrate is kept dry it's a bit less of a concern. She has a cork slab to rest on and some dense fake plants near the top of the enclosure so she can web it up. Unfortunately I didn't rehouse her until after she molted, so it will likely be a while before she actually starts to web. Her enclosure is kept dry with a water bowl at the bottom.
20180717_151027.jpg

20180717_151207.jpg

20180717_151412.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
A

and I’m saying that as a way to describe her behavior when moving. Not as an excuse. I care about her more then myself. And if that humidity is too high tell me what it should be at, not that’s just that it’ll kill her.
Ok, as @Greasylake already said it should be DRY. Measuring humidity is useless, as long as the substrate is always dry, you don't mist or anything the like - at all!! - and provide an easily accessible water dish (without sponge or the like) humidity can be whatever it is where you live.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thanks. Do you think it would be ok to just add more branches and things for her to climb on? My only other option is to put her back in her tiny 3 gallon that she seemed really unhappy in. Evey single time I gave her the chance she was happy to come out and just run around. And when I first put her in here she was happy but then I found her on her back and that’s the only unusual thing she’s done. And I don’t know what kind of wood the branches are but they are a hard wood that won’t rot. Also, I’ve done some research and it says C. Versicolor should have a 70%-80% humidity, is that to high?
Dry sub
Ignore humidity, it will kill her fast without airholes. I drilled 4 lines of airholes around the $1.98 stearlite container from walmart.
I" of dry sub, water dish with no pebbles or sponge.
The tank is too bright -- they don't LIKE it bright .
They're not twig spiders, they're TREE spiders. Get your spider a corkbark slab. Hot glue gun artificial plants and don't be stingy on the cork.
Also, I don't want to sound mean, but that tank's all about YOUR enjoyment, NOT about your SPIDERS COMFORT.
Spider comes first.