Tarantula disturbed while on back

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
DKS (dyskinetic syndrome) is just a catch phrase for unexplained jerky, spastic movements in Ts.
Thank you. Both of you.

It’s probably not dks or it would be dead already but symptoms sound similar . No idea what it could be, I’d it molts soon it could be fine . Fingers crossed:cat::chicken:
Get a good camera on it soon.:alien
I definitely will get a camera on her tomorrow night. The only camera available is my phone one, but I’ve set it up to see how my rabbits where escaping their area when I wasn’t around, with a clean, clear shot. And I’m willing to find a different one if needed. But ya, as soon as I’m home I’ll watch her and set up a camera and record.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
DKS isn't a disease in itself, it's more like a bunch of symptoms that some goofball labeled as DKS. Like a running nose and a sore throat are symptoms of the flu, bot not a disease in itself.
Jerky movements and loss of coordination is often linked to poisoning of some kind, bug spray, pest control stuff, anti flea or tick treatments. Theraphosidae classify in the same group of animals that fleas and ticks are in, and are susceptible to these products.

@cold blood had a case where an overdiligent neighbour sprayed his property and the stuff wafting through the window, killing some of his spiders. :(

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
DKS isn't a disease in itself, it's more like a bunch of symptoms that some goofball labeled as DKS. Like a running nose and a sore throat are symptoms of the flu, bot not a disease in itself.
Jerky movements and loss of coordination is often linked to poisoning of some kind, bug spray, pest control stuff, anti flea or tick treatments. Theraphosidae classify in the same group of animals that fleas and ticks are in, and are susceptible to these products.

@cold blood had a case where an overdiligent neighbour sprayed his property and the stuff wafting through the window, killing some of his spiders. :(
Oh no ok. My dog hasn’t been treated for anything for a while and I never let my parents spray the house. Inside or out. So I’m pretty sure it’s not those. Thank goodness.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
ok so im home now, when i got up my versicolor looked a bit curled up right infront on her water dish, i gently poked her and she jolted forward (the way she always has when surprised or scared). i was moving some stuff out of her enclosure and she crawled onto my hand and up my arm. she moved in a very sluggish way and dragged her front feet instead of the funny walk shes always done with her front legs waving in the air. so far she hasnt had any seizure like moments.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I don't think it's DKS. I think she's just starving for some reason. Have you tried putting the cricket goop directly on her mouth yet now that you're home?

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I don't think it's DKS. I think she's just starving for some reason. Have you tried putting the cricket goop directly on her mouth yet now that you're home?
Not yet. I was going to last night but I don’t have any crickets. I’m going to get more in just a little bit and as soon as I get back I’m going to try that.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Pinning down and force feeding a still moving T is a good way to get yourself an entry for the bite report thread. Or an injured T.

Just my opinion.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
When do you get to go home OP?
Home now. My versicolor isn’t up for laying on her back right now. But I’m trying. And I’m being gentle and making sure she doesn’t get hurt.

Can’t really see her mouth right now, but I’ve got her hanging upside down from my hand, is that safe for her?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Home now. My versicolor isn’t up for laying on her back right now. But I’m trying. And I’m being gentle and making sure she doesn’t get hurt.
Don't stress her needlessly trying to feed her. Force feeding via drops on the mouthparts only works on spiders already to ill to protest.
If you need to go buy feeders anyway, you could try getting waxworms, fishing stores have those usually. They're really soft, and if you cut them, their innards come out on their own, so you don't need to smash crickets. They're high in fat and protein, and perfect feeders for a starving spider :)

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Good luck with everything, I look forward to that bite report. Abandoning this thread since it's just constantly going downhill.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Don't stress her needlessly trying to feed her. Force feeding via drops on the mouthparts only works on spiders already to ill to protest.
If you need to go buy feeders anyway, you could try getting waxworms, fishing stores have those usually. They're really soft, and if you cut them, their innards come out on their own, so you don't need to smash crickets. They're high in fat and protein, and perfect feeders for a starving spider :)
Ok thanks

Good luck with everything, I look forward to that bite report. Abandoning this thread since it's just constantly going downhill.
Well if it takes me getting bitten to try and make sure she’ll be ok and healthy then so be it. Can’t be as bad as things I’ve had before

How should I feed them to her?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How should I feed them to her?
Just hold it with the tongs, see if she gets it. If she doesn't, cut it and place it next to her on her webbing or wherever she is at that point. Put it as close to her mouthparts as you can get without touching/stressing her.
(Don't pinch the waxworm if you cut it, it will explode and make goo go everywhere. Talking from experience here :eek: )

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Just hold it with the tongs, see if she gets it. If she doesn't, cut it and place it next to her on her webbing or wherever she is at that point. Put it as close to her mouthparts as you can get without touching/stressing her.
(Don't pinch the waxworm if you cut it, it will explode and make goo go everywhere. Talking from experience here :eek: )
Ah oh no. Ok. Thanks. Currently she’s hanging onto my hand upside Down and I am putting cricket stuff on her mouth

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ah oh no. Ok. Thanks. Currently she’s hanging onto my hand upside Down and I am putting cricket stuff on her mouth
If it wasn't such a worrying situation i could almost call that adorable :). I'm no fan of handling, but in this case everything goes as long as she's getting some food in her. It may take a while before you food disappearing, they eat really slow.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Not yet. I was going to last night but I don’t have any crickets. I’m going to get more in just a little bit and as soon as I get back I’m going to try that.
Please stop poking your T. How would you like it if you were 2/3s blind, you're sick and floating in and out, and some giant pokes you hard?! I think you'd scream, jump and your legs would give out!
Use a soft paint brush or, I use a makeup brush and GENTLY touch her.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Please stop poking your T. How would you like it if you were 2/3s blind, you're sick and floating in and out, and some giant pokes you hard?! I think you'd scream, jump and your legs would give out!
Use a soft paint brush or, I use a makeup brush and GENTLY touch her.
That’s basically what I did. I gently and barely touch the hairs on her leg

Ok so she won’t take the waxworm. What now?

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Ok so I’ve been giving my versicolor cricket soup (for some reason she’ll only let me put her on her back if she’s laying on my hand) and she got up, put the bottom of her carapace onto one of my fingers, then pressed her fangs into it, not like she was biting but pushing them out with the front against my skin. I let her do it because (this probably sounds weird) I trust her and know she wouldn’t just randomly bite me. Now she’s just moving her fangs around. Should I be worried by any of this? Happy about any of it (minus the fact that I think I got a little bit in her)?

OH AND I THINK SHE ATE A WHOLE WAX WORM THAT I CUT IN HALF LAST NIGHT

cold blood

Staff member
she got up, put the bottom of her carapace onto one of my fingers, then pressed her fangs into it, not like she was biting but pushing them out with the front against my skin
Your "trust" is misplaced, she very well could bite you....but what she was doing here was a purely defensive response. This is exactly how Avicularia utilize their urticating hairs.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Your "trust" is misplaced, she very well could bite you....but what she was doing here was a purely defensive response. This is exactly how Avicularia utilize their urticating hairs.
That’s why I said it would sound weird. It was more of I trusted myself to not freak her out so much that she would. I knew it wasn’t a good response. Should I worry about anything else? Be happy about any of this?