Successful C. crawshayi breeding

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, congrats on a successful mating, seeing as females of this species are notorious male eaters. Good luck getting the sac away from that monster of a female :D

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, congrats on a successful mating, seeing as females of this species are notorious male eaters. Good luck getting the sac away from that monster of a female :D
If she does lay a sac, this is going to be the problem:

This tank is HUGE. that 'strate is close to 18" deep and she has burrowed from top to bottom, and from the bottom of one side to the other which is close to 30". Now how in the hell can I get the sac away from her when her burrow is that friggen big... I never thought of that settup before breeding her... haha.

2nd attempt mating pics below. and it was successful again. :)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Male found her burrow again, but does not make any movement for close to 45 min.

So to speed things up a bit, I gently put part of her old skin infront of him, and he goes nuts.

He builds up his confidence and begins going down, and down, and down the burrow. Then backs further up more and more and she comes out calm as ever.

And isnt it awesome when you're getting ready to snap a couple more and the camera goes dead! That was the last one I took b/c I did not want to leave him alone with her for a split second. He inserted his left palp first, she bit down, but did not attack, he came back and inserted his right and after that, they both slowly backed off without me having to use my tongs! I was very pleased. I'll try again when he makes another sperm web.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice pics and congrats on the mating

I have never mated my females more than once. Maybe that's why the eggsacs were destroyed because it was infertile? who knows....

Guy Tansley told me he does not mess with cooling the temp at all and he had success.

However I know Mikhail (M.F. Bagaturov) plans to cool his female down a little then bring it back up.

I am going to keep mine as it is with temp (72) and dry it out completely and see what happens, i may have to wet it slowly back up.

goodluck on your third round, not sure if it is needed but let's find out

and goodluck rest of the way

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Male found her burrow again, but does not make any movement for close to 45 min.
i think he was wondering, "now, this seems familiar.... what happened last time?"

on a separate note, i've also wondered about how the heck to get a sac away from an obligate burrower. :?

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
on a separate note, i've also wondered about how the heck to get a sac away from an obligate burrower. :?
I've always thought it would be fun to call a surgeon that does laproscopic work. A little light and camera setup on the end of a robotic snake you could thread through the burrow, complete with extending grabby thing to pull it out. Or maybe just fish it out with the long mechanics bolt grabbers that snake around engines so well...

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always thought it would be fun to call a surgeon that does laproscopic work. A little light and camera setup on the end of a robotic snake you could thread through the burrow, complete with extending grabby thing to pull it out. Or maybe just fish it out with the long mechanics bolt grabbers that snake around engines so well...
HMM... Haha. That would be something else. I honestly don't know how to get it from her without destroying everything she has made. I can see the end of her burrow at the bottom by looking through the glass on the right side of the tank. so theres a start I guess you could say. I can see when she makes it/if. If she makes it at the end I may be able to slowly dig from the top down starting as far to the right as I can, hopefully it will not collapse. Or I could just leave the sac with her... But I've read where the sac was left with the female and was eaten the next day. I really want to only leave it with her for a couple days and get it out ASAP and do what Ryan does when he opens his sacs. He seems to be having great success and that is something I highly respect. I don't know if that would be too soon though.. Her tank weighs a good couple hundred lbs also. All that 'strate sure does add up. And the thing is so damn big, I cannot move it in the closet or anywhere... :wall: So it would have to sit in my T room (my bedroom) throughout the whole period... Hmm... any suggestions guys?

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you read this account of a successful breeding?

http://www.giantspiders.com/article2.html

O.k. you have me totally pulling for the little guy. Two successful insert sessions and you are going to put him back into the fray?? I say, too much, he's already beat the odd against becoming dinner. Let him rest on his laurels. I mean, did you see the size of her fang?!?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you read this account of a successful breeding?

http://www.giantspiders.com/article2.html

O.k. you have me totally pulling for the little guy. Two successful insert sessions and you are going to put him back into the fray?? I say, too much, he's already beat the odd against becoming dinner. Let him rest on his laurels. I mean, did you see the size of her fang?!?:eek: :eek: :eek:
Yes I remember reading his article a while back on it. I've been wanting to try and contact him about this, but it seems his e-mail is not going through for me. Anyone know where I could find him or get a hold of him. If he is somehow reading this, or someone that knows him, youcan also have him e-mail me at Hommyeg33@aol.com. Yes I know, VERY cheesy, but I've had it for close to 15 years now.. I love his housing method, I wonder if it is too late to try my female with something like that. I'd imagine it would be better for her to be just left alone..

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i could see using a laproscope.. and as you're calming snaking it down into the burrow, suddenly she latches onto it like something out of alien! {D

it'd be just like in the horror movies where the secretive monster snags the camera....

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i could see using a laproscope.. and as you're calming snaking it down into the burrow, suddenly she latches onto it like something out of alien! {D

it'd be just like in the horror movies where the secretive monster snags the camera....
Haha and I am certain she would not let go either... :rolleyes:

Anthony

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations on this event, have you considered maternal incubation ?

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yay round 2 successful :D That is quite the predicament.. I'm not sure what to tell you.

And don't worry, I made my first email account when I was 12, vegeta98023@hotmail.com which I still use as my MSN handle
Obviously I had a sick love for DBZ {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really want to only leave it with her for a couple days and get it out ASAP and do what Ryan does when he opens his sacs.

No no let's be clear here. I never pull under 16 days.

Avix4me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is how i pictured it:

pic1: "Lookin 4 a girl-friend!":)

pic2: "Ohhh, lookie here. It's a moult of my new 'Lady Friend'."{D

pic3: "Looks to me like my 'Lady Friend's' Condo...":D

pic4: "Wazzzup Baby Cakes! Looks to me like you need a Fine Piece a Ma:cool: -----AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!:eek: :embarrassed:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Good luck Austin!
I know I skimmed this thread, but did you know that when first imported, male crawshayi were described as a completely different species?
Tony
Btw, crawshayi were bred AND produced a couple years back by , um, god I forgot his name. He's in MI ....Or was. Used to buy every crawshayi female out there....