Votes: 61 4.9%
  • 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

swanton

Arachnopeon
i've got a pinktoe, and i figured since he's arboreal he wouldn't be on the ground much anyway except for eating, and i was right. that is while i had peat moss, but i got the coconut fiber (bed-a-beast) and then he started chilling with his abdomen on the ground and his front legs propped up against his log.
it looks good and holds moisture and i guess he likes it so that's my vote.

smellyocheese

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked 100% potting soil...

although mine's those rainforest substrate that comes in a compacted brick size. There's coconut husk in it. They're great for both dry and moist. Some problems with mites, mould and fungus though but not often except with the Ts that require higher humidity.

I'm yet to try vermiculite but they're pretty pricey here.

and i'm not exactly sure wht peat moss is....

bodar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
95% potting soil and 5 coconut husk on top, for looks, all my T's love it.:)

mistercurls

Arachnopeon
Im another who loves coconut fiber. Although ive used the jungle dirt to, i just dont like all the other things that are in it like the bark chips and such. So lately ive been sticking to coco fiber

jgaglio1

Arachnopeon
Hi Folks:
I start with cheap topsoil (not potting soil). Most of my Ts get this straight out of the bag. The real desert species get some Calci-Sand (black) and some lizard litter (to retain burrow integrity) mixed with the topsoil if they are burrowers. The jungle dwellers get some pure peat mixed with their topsoil, again with lizard litter for the burrowers.
I use high quality terra cotta water trays or plastics for the dry lovers and cheaper terra cotta water trays (they transfer more water to the substrate) for the moisture lovers. I don't mist these.
Arboreals get a mix of fine horticultural vermiculite and Lizard Litter. I occasionally (monthly?) use an angle topped squeeze bottle to shoot some water on their webbing.
I split a pallet of cork bark with a local Pet shop so there is a corkbark hide or climb in almost every enclosure.

Last edited:

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like 100% organic potting soil, preferably without perlite. It looks natural, and never seems to have problems with mold. Sometimes I use plain old dirt from an area I know is free of pesticides, especially for my local Aphonopelma species and other burrowers. I figure the substrate that I find them in out in the wild is what I should use in captivity.

Mr. Dom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mixing is the way to go

I use an unspecific mixture of black earth or top soil with cypress mulch and peat moss.

Black earth provides a good neutral base for microbes and bacteria that aid decomposition.
Cypress mulch aerates the soil and holds the soil together for burrowers and gives arboreals nice chunks to web into their retreats for camouflage. (esp. Psalmopoeus)
Peat moss retains moisture very well and its acidic properties prevents excessive growths of moulds and fungi. (bad for Avicularia)

I've used peat moss as a substrate alone and find that is works for a short period of time but not long-term. I find that its very acidic and retards decomposition, which i think is crucial for keeping live animals in enclosures that are supposed to resemble their natural environment. I've also kept a few species of tarantulas on peat moss alone and black earth alone. The spiders were all fed relatively the same times and amounts. The spiders that were kept on peat moss grew half as fast as the ones on black earth. My hypothesis is that acidic conditions may stunt growth in tarantulas.

Perlite dries out the spider too fast and looks hideous.
Vermiculite sticks to spiders and scorpions and looks hideous.
Coconut fibre is very similar to peat moss in water retention and acidity. I haven't done much work with coconut fibre as a substrate alone but it works wonderfully in mixtures with black earth or other substrates.
I have only used sand on desert scorpions but I'd like to try using sand/soil mixtures for tarantulas that come from arid environments. (Brachypelma, Aphonopelma)

I've never had any pure substrate work well over a long period of time (in excess of 7 months). Mixtures of any kind seem to work well for a long time and rarley require cleaning or changing at all. A mixed substrate with isopods (wood lice) and you'll never have to remove anything from the enclosure besides exuvia.

keeping inverts; there's science and then there's art.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just use 60% Peat, 40% coco husk...it keeps water when i need it to, and it holds well for burrows

Dewaine

Arachnopeon
I just got here -- I hope someone is still reading this thread..

I am just setting up an home for a future tarantula, and I purhcased coconut fiber for my set up. The coconut fiber is very dusty with fine fiber dust. Is this normal? Will the dust irritate the tarantula?

The fiber was prepackaged and sealed from some other company, but the pet store I bought the fiber from is not very clean and I didn't want to introduce mites, so I baked the fiber for a few minutes at 350 degrees F to kill any mites or bugs that might have moved into it at the pet store.

I am planning on getting a GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) when I can find one, so if anyone has opinions as to the best substrate for GBB's I would be interested -- I can toss the coconut if there is something better.

Thanks!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dewaine said:
I am just setting up an home for a future tarantula, and I purhcased coconut fiber for my set up. The coconut fiber is very dusty with fine fiber dust. Is this normal? Will the dust irritate the tarantula?
Not if you moisten first

I am planning on getting a GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) when I can find one, so if anyone has opinions as to the best substrate for GBB's I would be interested -- I can toss the coconut if there is something better.

Thanks!
I prefer bone dry peat moss. In fact I use it for everything. For the tropical species you can moisten it some and for the desert dwellers like GBB keep bone dry. Not to mention it is alot cheaper than coco fiber like you get at the pet shop

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use 100% coconut coir. I find its less dusty than peat moss, and holds moisture better. I used to use 100% peat, and never had a problem with it, besides the dust the bag would throw off whenever I tried to get any out.

For one of my Aphonopelma sp "Carlsbad Green" I used local dirt, from the same area where I found the burrow. I started a burrow for her, and she took right to it. Until, of course, I knocked over the container, and ruined everything. She is back on coco coir until I can get out and get more dirt.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mr. Dom said:
Coconut fibre is very similar to peat moss in water retention and acidity.
Really where did you learn this? i have been using coco fiber to acid sensetive orchids for years and ever had a problem.
ok just stuck in my ph meter and it reads 7 so something is wrong here.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dewaine said:
I just got here -- I hope someone is still reading this thread..

The fiber was prepackaged and sealed from some other company, but the pet store I bought the fiber from is not very clean and I didn't want to introduce mites, so I baked the fiber for a few minutes at 350 degrees F to kill any mites or bugs that might have moved into it at the pet store.

Thanks!
I am using the coco fibre for my GBB sling, it likes it just fine!!